As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New iPhone leaked

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The Incredible is supposed to be a good phone, the best Android phone available on Verizon. If you're switching from AT&T, though, maybe you should look into the HTC Evo 4G on Sprint. That is supposed to be the best Android device available at the moment.

I don't know a great deal about Android, though, so I couldn't compare and contrast it to the iPhone. To me the Android OS is like a better Windows Mobile OS. My first smartphone was a Windows Mobile 6 device. I liked it a lot for awhile, it was a very open platform, lots of useful applications, custom OS ROMs that either added functionality or streamlined the operating system. I think the Android is like that but a great deal better. It depends on what you're looking for in a phone.

I thought the Evo was cool (even if way large for me to carry) until I found out that all those features absolutely devastate the battery life. What good is all that power if the phone lasts SEVERAL HOURS.

Wow! And I thought I was disappointed by the Pre's battery issues!
    You know, I'm kind of surprised that even YouTube users keep monthly data usage below a gig, if not close to 200MB.

I realize the video is fairly low bitrate but still. The iPad gets a higher-bitrate stream though, doesn't it? Are there any statistics on how much data usage iPad users are trending?

The quality of streams isn't dependent on the hardware, I believe, but rather whether you're connected via WiFi or 3G. If it detects a 3G connection (or 3G speeds?) then it will give you the lower-quality smaller file size video stream.

I thought the YouTube app itself would cater to the iPad higher-res screen. I hear they do look good.

I don't know. On the iPhone the application will give you a lower-quality video stream over 3G in order to minimize stress to AT&T's network. It would be weird if this limitation was eliminated when the potential for an even bigger strain was present. This is just speculation on my part, however.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    NEVERMIND EVERYBODY

GETTING THIS

10x0609iyv1234pmiller.jpg

Faricazy on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "tentation" is definitely the word to describe twilight

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gonna pre order that phone right now.

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2010
    tentation is the feeling i experience when i see taylor lautner's body for sure

bongi on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    gonna visit the AT&T store and see what all is going to be entailed in getting the iPhone 4 under my girlfriend's name and then swapping her iPhone 4 for my 3GS

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok, I plan on jailbreaking this new iPhone. And running the unofficial tethering. I dont care about the battery drain, considering the place I would be using it would be in my car while it is charging in a dock. I have the unlimited data plan.

Can you ever get in trouble for doing something like that? On your wireless bill that is.

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Jesus, I am trying really hard to find some information on the Incredible on Anandtech because their reviews on anything are generally ridiculously long and detailed and might possibly include benchmarking information but their website is really slow right now!

Fake edit: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3710/the-htc-droid-incredible-review-clearly-better-than-the-nexus-one

There is some benchmarking information! Anandtech is basically the best website ever, by the by. Anyhow, what I would recommend, World as Myth, is that you go to the Apple store and a Veriizon store and spend 10 minutes with the phones you're interested in and seeing how they function and perform.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    yeah, AT&T says it's an Apple decision to disable iPhone->iPad tethering

it's not really that it's "disabled"

the iPhone's tethering implementation, as it's always existed, has only offered Bluetooth or USB connection sharing

iPhone OS doesn't support Bluetooth or USB connection sharing.

Is that last part supposed to be ipad OS or?
    It's the same OS.

It isn't really. They're really similar, but calling them the same is really a branding thing on Apple's part.

But yeah, he clarified the apparent contradiction in his original post.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jesus, I am trying really hard to find some information on the Incredible on Anandtech because their reviews on anything are generally ridiculously long and detailed and might possibly include benchmarking information but their website is really slow right now!

Fake edit: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3710/the-htc-droid-incredible-review-clearly-better-than-the-nexus-one

There is some benchmarking information! Anandtech is basically the best website ever, by the by. Anyhow, what I would recommend, World as Myth, is that you go to the Apple store and a Veriizon store and spend 10 minutes with the phones you're interested in and seeing how they function and perform.

well, I will, but my big issue is that I can't compare them with the iphone for a while :/

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010

well, I will, but my big issue is that I can't compare them with the iphone for a while :/

Why not? Do you mean you can't compare it to the i4 because it isn't out for awhile yet?

The i4 will be awesome and I will take it to bed with me the night I get it but I am certain the iPhone 3GS will compare pretty favorably to the i4 regardless. The basic experience between the two will be roughly the same I think.

Or maybe you already have an iPhone of some kind, I don't know what your situation is at all!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So even though I canceled my Incredible order yesterday after 3 weeks of backorder wait time I get an email today of a shipment notification.

Verizon say I can just deny the FedEx guy but I can still activate it if I want. Man decisions.

Join the walled garden everybody crowd and finally get an iPhone with lousy service or join the fragmented Android crowd with good service.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I have the first 3g phone, I skipped the 3gs

I just want a tech blogger to sit down and go "these are the performance features here, here's how fast it opens an email app, blah blah fast fast"

basically I just want fast

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I just want a tech blogger to sit down and go "these are the performance features here, here's how fast it opens an email app, blah blah fast fast"

I watched these a couple weeks ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj_aREHqWw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZB8IArhPn4&feature=channel

Dude is hard pressed to not let the Incredible sound better but it shows speed.

I still kinda want that Incredible. I mean I even bought a bigger battery for it in anticipation

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010

Go play with an iPad in an apple store. It has the same A4 processor that the iPhone 4 is using, so you'll be able to get a sense of speed (it's fast)

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wish that they said whether or not the A4 in the i4 was underclocked or not. It probably is, they've always been underclocked, but I want to know by how much and what impact that has on performance.

Also, the problem with deciding now is of course the fact that the i4 will be coming out but also that Android Froyo is coming out as well which should give devices like the Incredible a little boost. If you want to be absolutely certain that you're getting the fastest device you'll have to wait until awhile after everything has been released and reviewed.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    awesome, I will watch those videos tonight! and monoxide, that's a really good suggestion

thanks dudes

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I wish that they said whether or not the A4 in the i4 was underclocked or not. It probably is, they've always been underclocked, but I want to know by how much and what impact that has on performance.

Also, the problem with deciding now is of course the fact that the i4 will be coming out but also that Android Froyo is coming out as well which should give devices like the Incredible a little boost. If you want to be absolutely certain that you're getting the fastest device you'll have to wait until awhile after everything has been released and reviewed.

I don't really know why they'd underclock it in the i4 aside from battery life concerns

it runs super cool on the iPad at 1gHz, and I would think they'd want to run it at around 1gHz on the iPhone to keep up with the power of snapdragon. I could maybe see 800mHz, but it's not going to be downclocked to 3GS speeds.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    the A4 is super fucking fast.

When they say that webpages feel like magic they are not lying.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So O2 are letting people upgrade to the 4 early. It costs £20 for every month you have left on your contract minus one month, and you have to sign up for one of the new contracts.

I have a year left, so by selling my 32GB 3GS, it would cost me about £100 plus an extra year on my contract to upgrade. Or I can wait for next years iPhone, which I would basically get for free by selling my 3GS then instead. That would be the saner option. But, new iPhone.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm hoping the modding community is able to get Froyo working nicely on the G1. I've got an Eclaire port right now, but this little guy is super underpowered for this. It runs better than the stock OS, but I have to watch out for battery drain.

I have hope that the Froyo move will happen seeing as even the MyTouch 3G is getting an official Froyo update and they're not much better than the G1.

And, yeah, I'd wait a bit before deciding on a new phone if you are looking for sexy slick. Android is working on pushing out Froyo and whatnot and of course Apple is holding mass in preperation for the 4th coming of the iPhone.

potatoe on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    So even though I canceled my Incredible order yesterday after 3 weeks of backorder wait time I get an email today of a shipment notification.

Verizon say I can just deny the FedEx guy but I can still activate it if I want. Man decisions.

Join the walled garden everybody crowd and finally get an iPhone with lousy service or join the fragmented Android crowd with good service.

thats pretty much my decision maker right there.

Grath on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I don't really know why they'd underclock it in the i4 aside from battery life concerns

it runs super cool on the iPad at 1gHz, and I would think they'd want to run it at around 1gHz on the iPhone to keep up with the power of snapdragon. I could maybe see 800mHz, but it's not going to be downclocked to 3GS speeds.

Well I always figured they underclocked the processors primarily because of battery life. The A4 includes the processor as well as the graphics chip. The i4 probably has less RAM than the iPad (and of course screen size and resolution) but otherwise what hardware differences would there be between the iPad and i4? It just seems really strange to have a smartphone that is basically as powerful as their tablet computer.

I also figure if they hadn't underclocked it they would have been quick to point that out because I think it would get people in an even bigger froth.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Well I always figured they underclocked the processors primarily because of battery life. The A4 includes the processor as well as the graphics chip. The i4 probably has less RAM than the iPad (and of course screen size and resolution) but otherwise what hardware differences would there be between the iPad and i4? It just seems really strange to have a smartphone that is basically as powerful as their tablet computer.

I also figure if they hadn't underclocked it they would have been quick to point that out because I think it would get people in an even bigger froth.

the RAM is exactly the same in the iPad as it is in the 3GS and the leaked iPhone 4's -- 256MB.

the iPad doesn't really need to be any more powerful than the phone because it's the form factor that makes the distinction between the two. they run the same OS, the same apps, and with i4, they're almost the same resolution (the iPad is 1024x768, the iPhone 4 is 960x640). but since it's that resolution on a 9.75 inch display, developers are able to do completely different things with that space.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's just weird!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2010
    I might be able to upgrade to the 4 with no additional upgrade cost :o

:D

bongi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    seems like a lot of reviewers aren't mentioning the speed and focusing on the display, but
    Ars Technica also has a number of photos and notes the new iPhone "feels good in the hand" and is very speedy, on par with the iPad as a first impression.

so, that's good. it could still be underclocked, but as long as it feels about as fast as the iPad, that's what matters.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I feel so embarrassed over how excited I am for this next iPhone. I used to dislike Apple and the iPhone a lot.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    you know what the best thing is?

The dude who designed the webOS notification system was just hired at Apple.

too bad we won't see results til, like iOS 6 :(

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I just want to say safari appears to be wicked fast now on 3gs with iOS 4. also not sure if this is a bug or not, but you can only orientation lock to portrait, not to landscape.

Its going to suck having to downgrade tonight/this weekend. Anything anyone wants me to try with the new OS?

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    ronzo wrote: »
    I just want to say safari appears to be wicked fast now on 3gs with iOS 4. also not sure if this is a bug or not, but you can only orientation lock to portrait, not to landscape.

Its going to suck having to downgrade tonight/this weekend. Anything anyone wants me to try with the new OS?

I think that's all the orientation lock is supposed to let you do for whatever reason

why are you downgrading?

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think he said there was some issue with backing up or something.

Oh, with Folders, are the background that thread-cloth looking stuff or the bubbled things from the early OS 4 preview a few months back

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Woooah, that's great news.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    here's a direct feature comparison of all of the current flagship phones for each major mobile OS

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-vs-the-smartphone-elite-evo-4g-n8-pre-plus-and-hd2/

if you want your brain to explode, turn on the comments and read all of the android fans exclaiming "GO EVO 4G!" despite it losing to both the iPhone and the Nokia N8

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I never turn on the comments at Engadget.

I stopped reading the site until they gave you the option to turn them off because I couldn't help but scroll down and read them.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah, and Android got their lead WebOS designer last month. Sounds like Palm is having some issues, and the CEO is blaming Verizon for shitty sales.

potatoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    here's a direct feature comparison of all of the current flagship phones for each major mobile OS

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-vs-the-smartphone-elite-evo-4g-n8-pre-plus-and-hd2/

if you want your brain to explode, turn on the comments and read all of the android fans exclaiming "GO EVO 4G!" despite it losing to both the iPhone and the Nokia N8

yes yes this is what I want

jeez, I didn't know nokia even had a contender that strong

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think he said there was some issue with backing up or something.

Oh, with Folders, are the background that thread-cloth looking stuff or the bubbled things from the early OS 4 preview a few months back

yeah, no backups. So when I need to upgrade it to the "real" iOS 4 and it screws ups, I would lose a ton of stuff from the next two weeks

Folder backrounds are the thread thing

mfiqR.png

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Honestly specs don't matter much to me. The reason why the A4 is impressive to me isn't because of any technical specification but because it's a tablet computer SoC and it's supposed to be faster than what's in the 3GS, a phone I already think it really damn fast. It's impressive relative to something that's already impressive to me.

Performance benchmarks and impressions are more important to me.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    cool beans ronzo, thanks

Folders are the best.

When I unjailbroke my phone I was all FUUUUUUUCK

because I'd used Catagories to put like twice the number of apps 11 pages can handle.

Did help me trim down on apps I don't really use, though.

Abracadaniel on
This discussion has been closed.