As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[British Politics] is going to the polls.

Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital ConquistadorLondonRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's time.

The First Debate
A New Hope
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0QsSoV0SRo

The Second Debate
The (Murdoch) Empire Strikes Back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqis1mkS2CE&feature=player_embedded

The Final Debate
Return of the Jedi?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7h9BbTYkgk

p8fnsZD.png
Flippy_D on

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This space reserved for future material. Why not visit the attractive game music thread below?

In all seriousness though, tell me if you think the OP needs something extra.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    The Conservatives received £1.45m in donations during the first week of the election campaign, nearly twice the £783,000 banked by Labour, the Electoral Commission says. The Liberal Democrats were given £20,000.

Don't know whether or not to be surprised given the Tories clientele.
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Though it definitely doesnt deserve the amount of funding it gets.

I don't know; I'm not at all convinced that ITV would do anything nearly as worthwhile with a share of the money, and it's nice to have at least some vaguely watchable television being made.

Well I didnt mean it that way, it gets a significant tax from every person that owns a TV and still wants more when its executives use taxis into the thousands of pounds range, throw big parties and celebratings and pay Jonathan Woss like $20,000,000 over 3 years or whatever it was when you could surely find cheaper and better comedians with that money. I'd be quite content for BBC to just become a 24/7 news channel instead of paying for BBC1, BBC2, BBC NEWS, Parliament, 3, 4, Asian and umpteen radio stations that it fills with shit like Russell Howard's Good News or that program by the Two Pints woman, cant remember its name, Coming of Age I think, which is such a vile, vile creation that I hope it never leaves these shores as I would be afraid of people judging us by it.

Basically it could lose a lot of stuff, still make entertainment and not require so much money. I mean it doesn't have adverts but it DOES get money from every single tv owner AND then is able to sell the programs it makes on that money internationally AND sell them to us again on DVD/Blu=Ray/whatever.

And like I said, there is plentty of room for abuse by executives and whatever with that money.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The thing about the BBC is that they do stuff that nobody else does. Like, for instance, the Asian network. Don't forget they really are a public service.

The BBC also acts as a ballast on other news channels by setting the tone and reporting standards. It's not perfect, but take it away in favour of profit driven showing aaaand you get America.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    IsidoreIsidore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm sure you'd love it if the BBC catered to your whims, and cost you less.

Whether everyone else would is a different question. Look at the 6music debacle. I bet you don't give a shit about 6music, but other people do.

edit: What flippyd said.

Isidore on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Loving the new OP :P

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Loving the new OP :P

Really does capture the "playground" feel that british politics has.

Isidore on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Uh, I'll just put this here then shall I?
    You trying to take my Radio 4 away?

That's it, outside!

Edit: Not that I don't agree with you, a lot of the stuff is trash. Especially the TV, it seems like they said "okay, we have 15* channels, better get something to fill them with...", which is entirely the wrong approach if you ask me. Not that they did...

*I pulled this out of my arse, I've no idea how many they actually have.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If the BBC and all its services were to disappear tomorrow, people would soon realise that- while it's not perfect- is is a bloody great public service. A lot of people seem to take it for granted.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    lu tze wrote: »

That's it, outside!

Edit: Not that I don't agree with you, a lot of the stuff is trash. Especially the TV, it seems like they said "okay, we have 15* channels, better get something to fill them with... anything!", which is approaching things the wrong way around if you ask me. Not that they did...

*I pulled this out of my arse, I've no idea how many they actually have, probably much more.
    BBC One

BBC Two

BBC Three

BBC Four

BBC HD

BBC News

BBC Parliament

CBBC Channel

CBeebies

S4C

BBC Alba

BBC World News

[edit] BBC Worldwide channels

BBC America

BBC Canada

BBC Kids

BBC Prime/BBC Entertainment

BBC Lifestyle

BBC Knowledge

UK.TV

UKTV

People+Arts

Animal Planet

BBC Persian - Is there even a persia?

Exactly, the question becomes, why does it need that many channels when its goal is to be an independent station that provides SOME entertainment? If I want tonnes of channels I have Sky, thats why I pay a big, expensive Sky subscription.

EDIT: Im not saying do away with the BBC, but it doesnt need to be all it is now. There are asian networks already for instance.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When peple talk about how overpaid top level public sector workers are I think of how much the chief of police or the heads of the military gets paid, and what they'd get for doing the same level in the private sector.

(Then I el oh el).

Leitner on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can't have politics without Polls. I mean Pol... but a pol is something else....

Oh well
    A YouGov poll for the Sun newspaper has the Liberal Democrats with 33%, ahead of the Conservatives with 32% and Labour at 26%.

Another poll, carried out by ICM Research for The Guardian newspaper, says Mr. Clegg's party has gained 10 points in the last five days and is just three points behind the Conservatives and two points ahead of Labour.

It seems fairly in flux.
    5.52pm: Andrew Hawkins, the chairman of the polling firm ComRes, has just released this on Twitter.

Live blog: Twitter

ComRes has one humdinger of a poll out later today

There are rumours, being passed on by Spectator editor Fraser Nelson and others, that the poll is going to show Labour in the lead. But that's gossip at this stage. It might not be true and I can't stand it up. I'm just passing it on for anyone interesting in the workings of the Westminster rumour mill.
    The Guardian

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Am I reading that right? The Spectator are going to publish a poll with Labour in the lead?

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lu tze wrote: »

That's it, outside!

Edit: Not that I don't agree with you, a lot of the stuff is trash. Especially the TV, it seems like they said "okay, we have 15* channels, better get something to fill them with... anything!", which is approaching things the wrong way around if you ask me. Not that they did...

*I pulled this out of my arse, I've no idea how many they actually have, probably much more.
    BBC One

BBC Two

BBC Three

BBC Four

BBC HD

BBC News

BBC Parliament

CBBC Channel

CBeebies

S4C

BBC Alba

BBC World News

[edit] BBC Worldwide channels

BBC America

BBC Canada

BBC Kids

BBC Prime/BBC Entertainment

BBC Lifestyle

BBC Knowledge

UK.TV

UKTV

People+Arts

Animal Planet

BBC Persian - Is there even a persia?

Exactly, the question becomes, why does it need that many channels when its goal is to be an independent station that provides SOME entertainment? If I want tonnes of channels I have Sky, thats why I pay a big, expensive Sky subscription.

EDIT: Im not saying do away with the BBC, but it doesnt need to be all it is now. There are asian networks already for instance.

Well, out the main channels, BBC Alba is not a full-time BBC channel, it just produces some programmes in Gaelic.

and BBC Worldwide channels are not technically part of the BBC; they're not paid for with license fee moneies. They are a separate company that uses advertising revenue to fund the channels

BobCesca on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Am I reading that right? The Spectator are going to publish a poll with Labour in the lead?

They're trying to scare their readership. The Spectator loves "BRITAIN IS GOING TO THE DOGS". Every time I read it I facepalm :<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    pots+panspots+pans Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is this week's debate on Sky News? I don't have access to sky, will Radio 4 be broadcasting it again?

pots+pans on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    pots+pans wrote: »
    Is this week's debate on Sky News? I don't have access to sky, will Radio 4 be broadcasting it again?

Im pretty sure every debate is on a publicly accessible channel.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, do bear in mind ITV execs and presenters get paid rather more than BBC ones. High as the numbers might seem, they're not actually competitive entertainment salaries.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    why does it need that many channels when its goal is to be an independent station that provides SOME entertainment? If I want tonnes of channels I have Sky, thats why I pay a big, expensive Sky subscription.

That's not its goal.
    3. The BBC’s public nature and its objects
    (1) The BBC exists to serve the public interest.
    (2) The BBC’s main object is the promotion of its Public Purposes.
    (3) In addition, the BBC may maintain, establish or acquire subsidiaries through which
    commercial activities may be undertaken to any extent permitted by a Framework
    Agreement. (The BBC’s general powers enable it to maintain, establish or acquire
    subsidiaries for purposes sufficiently connected with its Public Purposes – see article
    47(3) and (4)).
    4. The Public Purposes
    The Public Purposes of the BBC are as follows—
    (a) sustaining citizenship and civil society;
    (b) promoting education and learning;
    (c) stimulating creativity and cultural excellence;
    (d) representing the UK, its nations, regions and communities;
    (e) bringing the UK to the world and the world to the UK;
    (f) in promoting its other purposes, helping to deliver to the public the benefit of
    emerging communications technologies and services and, in addition, taking a
    leading role in the switchover to digital television.

If you think the BBC should be something other than it is, it's really down to the BBC Trust rather than the government directly. Also bear in mind that lots of channels doesn't necessarily mean lots of content, and that the minority language and children's channels are probably the most in line with the BBC's public service mandate.

Speaking of the BBC, Paul Lewis is interviewing each of the would-be Chancellors for Money Box, Alastair Darling is up already (link goes straight to the player, which autoplays):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/your_money/8627003.stm

japan on
  • Options
    Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Will the debate be on TV other than sky or just the radio?

Uncle_Balsamic on
    2LmjIWB.png
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Saint Madness on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

:lol:

Oh UKIP, you crazy maddened xenophobic fools, how you light up my day with your mental-ism.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

They do kind of have a point about the computer simulation thing.

They're not an EU agency. They were going to end up taking some serious flak whether they allowed planes to fly or not, though.

japan on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Who is that yellow guy now? What team is he on?

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Who is that yellow guy now? What team is he on?

Nick Clegg is leader of the Liberal Democrats.

japan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    japan wrote: »

They're not an EU agency. They were going to end up taking some serious flak whether they allowed planes to fly or not, though.

I'd rather see the loss of £200 million+ than the loss of x number of lives.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I see their reasoning. If not for the EU, the BNP could have been sacrificing immigrants to the volcano and its god wouldn't have gotten angry and forced it to erupt.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    The indispensable Johann Hari on an issue that needs more attention: Afghanistan.
    The great bloody hole in the British election campaign - Afghanistan

In the election campaign here in Britain, there is a big blood-splattered hole we are all supposed to ignore. We are at war. It is a war that 64 percent of Brits believe is "unwinnable" and should end now. It is a war that has killed 281 British people and an untold, uncounted number of Afghan civilians. It is a war that costs £4.5bn a year. It is a war to keep Hamid Karzai in power - even though he announced last week: "I swear I am going to join the Taliban." Yet the three biggest political parties are shouting their slogans over the hole as if it does not exist.

So what are they refusing to see? Hamid Karzai was picked by the US and British governments as the Afghan leader most likely to serve their interests, and his regime exists solely because of massive military support from them. Yet - in a sign of how Afghan opinion has tipped after eight years of war - even he now speaks with rage against them. He says the US and Britain's planned military assault on Kandahar this summer must not go ahead because the local population strongly oppose it. He warns there is "a fine line between resistance and revolt" and soon "this revolt will turn into a resistance and I will join it."

Now Karzai is following his own script, the authors of this war have dropped all pretence that they wanted an independent democratic government in Afghanistan. For example, Rudi Giuliani, who was one of the leading neoconservatives making the case for invasion, just said: "Karzai's there because of us, he's our creation, we put him there... I'm not sure we want to engage in the fiction that we're dealing with a democratically elected [leader]... that'd be a major fiction." He said that now Karzai fleetingly follows his people's demands rather than ours, there "might be grounds for shooting" him, and "we need to think about what comes after." He then added, with no irony: "This guy's a thug."

So - we are currently sending young people to kill and die in order to prop up a sort-of-kinda-elected President who (like his people) opposes almost all our actions and is threatening to defect to The Enemy. You might think that is worth discussing. Yet when Afghanistan comes up in this election, the sole subject of complaint is that our helicopters don't work as well as they should.

Why would Karzai, and so many Afghans, and Brits like me, turn like this, after welcoming the toppling of the vile Taliban in 2001? Here's a moment that distils why. Last month, General Stanley McCrystal, the NATO commander, was talking about how he guards the massive military convoys that move through the country. He said: "We have shot an amazing number of people, but to my knowledge, none has ever proven to be a threat."

That wasn't considered a story. It didn't dominate the headlines. It was considered a normal thing to say. But imagine somebody bragging that he had shot "an amazing number" of British people, but "none has ever proven to be a threat." How would we react? Ah, the main political parties say, but all these complications and casualties are worth it, because there is a wider driving purpose to the war. They say we must stay for one reason: to fight jihadism. If we don't fight them there, we'll have to fight them here. If we don't deprive them of bases, they'll be hitting our places.

At first glance, this may sound persuasive. But look closer. Al Qaeda's attacks don't originate in these "bases", and don't require them: 9/11 was plotted in Hamburg and Florida; 7/7 was planned out in Yorkshire. Anything that could be done in a cave in Torah Borah could be done on a mountaintop in Yemen or a moor outside Manchester: it's highly mobile. If we charge in with Bazookas to conquer one of these places, they simply move to another - and goad us to follow. General Jim Jones, Barack Obama's National Security Advisor, says there are just 100 foreign jihadis in the whole of Afghanistan. They've simply packed up and gone elsewhere. So who are we fighting there? The CIA says they are "a tribal, localised insurgency" who "see themselves as opposing the US because it is an occupying power" and have "no goals" outside the country.

But while the war is catching or killing very few jihadis, it is creating a huge number of them. After every bombing and every massacre, there is a swelling pools of relatives who scream at the camera that they now want to become suicide bombers. Those tapes are beamed back to Britain - where they are used to radicalize young Muslims. I have interviewed dozens of ex-jihadis - and they almost all named those videos as a key point in pushing them over from repellent religious bigotry into overtly planning violence. The 7/7 bombers themselves named it; the Detroit pantsbomber was howling about Afghanistan as he tried to detonate his scrotum.

If you really loathe and oppose jihadism, you have to soberly assess the best way to erode its power over time. Charging around with a blowtorch isn't putting out the fire. Indeed, the jihadists say quite clearly that they want the war to continue for as long as possible. Osama Bin Laden brags that it gives him extra recruits and will "bankrupt" the West.

The other arguments that used to be used to justify the war have become a polite after-cough. Women's rights? My friend Malalai Joya is the most popularly elected woman in Afghanistan. She has been expelled from the parliament and silenced in the media for pointing out that "things have not improved for women," because the occupiers have "transferred power to fundamentalist warlords who are just like the Taliban."

The defenders of the war are reduced to chanting "Back Our Boys!" To use the troops as rhetorical human shields to shut down democratic debate about whether they should carry on killing and dying is the worst insult to the soldiers I know. If the only way to Back Our Boys was to demand they stay on an unwinnable battlefield, no disastrous war would ever have been stopped, and we would still be fighting East of Suez. If you really want to back our boys, get them out of the crosshairs and into their homes.

You may think I'm wrong about all this. I respect that - but don't you at least think this should be part of the election debate? Don't you think you should be presented with a choice? Why has it been left to the small, unfairly marginalized Green Party to speak for 64 percent of the public on this?

In Israel earlier this year, the former Labour MP Lorna Fitzsimons reassured the massed ranks of the Israeli establishment that growing British disgust at the military occupation of Palestinian lands was nothing to worry about because "public opinion does not influence foreign policy in Britain. Foreign policy is an elite issue." She was saying - don't worry; Britain isn't a real democracy - its foreign policy serves the interests of geopolitics and corporations and elites, not those messy, fickle, inconvenient majorities. It's a view that spreads far beyond our policies towards Israel/Palestine. In a fascinating leaked CIA report on European public opinion, they say they are "counting on public apathy about Afghanistan" and boast that so far leaders have been "enabled... to ignore voters". They are worried the charge into Kandahar could cause disgust, but the British election will be over by then.

This muffled cry from the caves of Kandahar is a useful counter-point to this election. It reminds us that, while the small differences between the main parties at election time do matter, they often aren't the primary force that transforms the country. Almost every civilising change in Britain - from feminism to worker's rights to opposing bad wars - came from ordinary citizens banding together and demanding it all year, every year, whether there was an election or not, no matter how unlikely it seemed, until they prevailed. The British ambassador to Afghanistan Mark Sedwill says we will be there "for a generation" more. If you want to prove him wrong, then you have to demand it publicly - long after the terribly limited ballot papers are gathered into a fake middle and tossed away.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Personally I think grounding the planes was the right thing to do, but there are going to be plenty of people that will insist that at least some of the danger was theoretical, and there probably were areas of the sky that were closed that aircraft could have safely navigated.

This of course glosses over the other question of which bits of airspace they were.

japan on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »

Personally I think grounding the planes was the right thing to do, but there are going to be plenty of people that will insist that at least some of the danger was theoretical, and there probably were areas of the sky that were closed that aircraft could have safely navigated.

This of course glosses over the other question of which bits of airspace they were.

There have been claims that its been safe to fly in some areas for days, so if they do have any validity then I'd expect the airlines to seriously push for some financial support from the EU due to this.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kastanj wrote: »
    The indispensable Johann Hari on an issue that needs more attention: Afghanistan.
    The great bloody hole in the British election campaign - Afghanistan

In the election campaign here in Britain, there is a big blood-splattered hole we are all supposed to ignore. We are at war. It is a war that 64 percent of Brits believe is "unwinnable" and should end now. It is a war that has killed 281 British people and an untold, uncounted number of Afghan civilians. It is a war that costs £4.5bn a year. It is a war to keep Hamid Karzai in power - even though he announced last week: "I swear I am going to join the Taliban." Yet the three biggest political parties are shouting their slogans over the hole as if it does not exist.

So what are they refusing to see? Hamid Karzai was picked by the US and British governments as the Afghan leader most likely to serve their interests, and his regime exists solely because of massive military support from them. Yet - in a sign of how Afghan opinion has tipped after eight years of war - even he now speaks with rage against them. He says the US and Britain's planned military assault on Kandahar this summer must not go ahead because the local population strongly oppose it. He warns there is "a fine line between resistance and revolt" and soon "this revolt will turn into a resistance and I will join it."

Now Karzai is following his own script, the authors of this war have dropped all pretence that they wanted an independent democratic government in Afghanistan. For example, Rudi Giuliani, who was one of the leading neoconservatives making the case for invasion, just said: "Karzai's there because of us, he's our creation, we put him there... I'm not sure we want to engage in the fiction that we're dealing with a democratically elected [leader]... that'd be a major fiction." He said that now Karzai fleetingly follows his people's demands rather than ours, there "might be grounds for shooting" him, and "we need to think about what comes after." He then added, with no irony: "This guy's a thug."

So - we are currently sending young people to kill and die in order to prop up a sort-of-kinda-elected President who (like his people) opposes almost all our actions and is threatening to defect to The Enemy. You might think that is worth discussing. Yet when Afghanistan comes up in this election, the sole subject of complaint is that our helicopters don't work as well as they should.

Why would Karzai, and so many Afghans, and Brits like me, turn like this, after welcoming the toppling of the vile Taliban in 2001? Here's a moment that distils why. Last month, General Stanley McCrystal, the NATO commander, was talking about how he guards the massive military convoys that move through the country. He said: "We have shot an amazing number of people, but to my knowledge, none has ever proven to be a threat."

That wasn't considered a story. It didn't dominate the headlines. It was considered a normal thing to say. But imagine somebody bragging that he had shot "an amazing number" of British people, but "none has ever proven to be a threat." How would we react? Ah, the main political parties say, but all these complications and casualties are worth it, because there is a wider driving purpose to the war. They say we must stay for one reason: to fight jihadism. If we don't fight them there, we'll have to fight them here. If we don't deprive them of bases, they'll be hitting our places.

At first glance, this may sound persuasive. But look closer. Al Qaeda's attacks don't originate in these "bases", and don't require them: 9/11 was plotted in Hamburg and Florida; 7/7 was planned out in Yorkshire. Anything that could be done in a cave in Torah Borah could be done on a mountaintop in Yemen or a moor outside Manchester: it's highly mobile. If we charge in with Bazookas to conquer one of these places, they simply move to another - and goad us to follow. General Jim Jones, Barack Obama's National Security Advisor, says there are just 100 foreign jihadis in the whole of Afghanistan. They've simply packed up and gone elsewhere. So who are we fighting there? The CIA says they are "a tribal, localised insurgency" who "see themselves as opposing the US because it is an occupying power" and have "no goals" outside the country.

But while the war is catching or killing very few jihadis, it is creating a huge number of them. After every bombing and every massacre, there is a swelling pools of relatives who scream at the camera that they now want to become suicide bombers. Those tapes are beamed back to Britain - where they are used to radicalize young Muslims. I have interviewed dozens of ex-jihadis - and they almost all named those videos as a key point in pushing them over from repellent religious bigotry into overtly planning violence. The 7/7 bombers themselves named it; the Detroit pantsbomber was howling about Afghanistan as he tried to detonate his scrotum.

If you really loathe and oppose jihadism, you have to soberly assess the best way to erode its power over time. Charging around with a blowtorch isn't putting out the fire. Indeed, the jihadists say quite clearly that they want the war to continue for as long as possible. Osama Bin Laden brags that it gives him extra recruits and will "bankrupt" the West.

The other arguments that used to be used to justify the war have become a polite after-cough. Women's rights? My friend Malalai Joya is the most popularly elected woman in Afghanistan. She has been expelled from the parliament and silenced in the media for pointing out that "things have not improved for women," because the occupiers have "transferred power to fundamentalist warlords who are just like the Taliban."

The defenders of the war are reduced to chanting "Back Our Boys!" To use the troops as rhetorical human shields to shut down democratic debate about whether they should carry on killing and dying is the worst insult to the soldiers I know. If the only way to Back Our Boys was to demand they stay on an unwinnable battlefield, no disastrous war would ever have been stopped, and we would still be fighting East of Suez. If you really want to back our boys, get them out of the crosshairs and into their homes.

You may think I'm wrong about all this. I respect that - but don't you at least think this should be part of the election debate? Don't you think you should be presented with a choice? Why has it been left to the small, unfairly marginalized Green Party to speak for 64 percent of the public on this?

In Israel earlier this year, the former Labour MP Lorna Fitzsimons reassured the massed ranks of the Israeli establishment that growing British disgust at the military occupation of Palestinian lands was nothing to worry about because "public opinion does not influence foreign policy in Britain. Foreign policy is an elite issue." She was saying - don't worry; Britain isn't a real democracy - its foreign policy serves the interests of geopolitics and corporations and elites, not those messy, fickle, inconvenient majorities. It's a view that spreads far beyond our policies towards Israel/Palestine. In a fascinating leaked CIA report on European public opinion, they say they are "counting on public apathy about Afghanistan" and boast that so far leaders have been "enabled... to ignore voters". They are worried the charge into Kandahar could cause disgust, but the British election will be over by then.

This muffled cry from the caves of Kandahar is a useful counter-point to this election. It reminds us that, while the small differences between the main parties at election time do matter, they often aren't the primary force that transforms the country. Almost every civilising change in Britain - from feminism to worker's rights to opposing bad wars - came from ordinary citizens banding together and demanding it all year, every year, whether there was an election or not, no matter how unlikely it seemed, until they prevailed. The British ambassador to Afghanistan Mark Sedwill says we will be there "for a generation" more. If you want to prove him wrong, then you have to demand it publicly - long after the terribly limited ballot papers are gathered into a fake middle and tossed away.

That is the spinniest article that has ever spun. Karzai isn't really threatening to join the Taliban. It is simply a joke.

Like "I swear if my boss bothers me again I'll shoot him!"

Nor is McCrystal saying the military randomly shot folks to protect the convoys, as implied. He said that "none of them proved a threat" not that they weren't a threat and they shouldn't have shot them, that they were, but they couldn't actually threaten the US military.

edit: context is key.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The main issue for the authorities that are monitoring the ash cloud is people's safety. You aren't just taking a gamble on some damage being done to engines and such, it's making sure these planes don't fall out of the sky. If there is the chance it could happen, then they should make the call to ground flights. If in doubt, don't gamble with peoples' lives. Jet engines are so precise that even the thinnest layer of glass/ash/whatever attaching itself to the blades can cause catastrophic engine failure.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    http://www.voterpower.org.uk/ (this might have been linked ages ago but I missed it)

I have 0.047 of a vote here in Stockport. Beat that!

Isidore on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Isidore wrote: »
    http://www.voterpower.org.uk/ (this might have been linked ages ago but I missed it)

I have 0.047 of a vote here in Stockport. Beat that!
    The power of voters in this constituency is based on the probability of the seat changing hands and its size.
    Mularky. The first part anyway

edit
    They have the average voter having .25 votes. That makes no sense

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In Oldham West & Royton, one person does not really have one vote, they have the equivalent of 0.051 votes.
    The power of voters in this constituency is based on the probability of the seat changing hands and its size.

While you might think that every vote counts equally, where you live in the UK has a huge effect on your power to influence the election.

The average UK voter has 5x more voting power than voters in Oldham West & Royton.

Average UK voter power

The average UK voter only has the power of 0.253 votes. This is because most of us live in safe seats, where the outcome is pretty much certain regardless of how we vote.

Oldham West & Royton ranks #498 out of 650 constituencies in the Voter Power Index.
    UK constituency marginality
    We can be almost certain that 60% of seats will NOT change hands in the general election (very safe or ultra safe seats).
    Further information
    Marginality
    The more times a seat changes hands, the more marginal it is deemed to be.

Lab2001
    Lab2005
    LabConstituency size
    +4.26%

This constituency is bigger than average, which means a voter here is less likely to affect the national result.

Number of voters: 71,346

Average constituency: 68,433
    2005 election data52% of votes discarded

51.63% of those who voted in Oldham West & Royton in 2005 did not vote for the winning candidate. These votes count for nothing in the First Past the Post system.

2005 General Election result

Winner takes all

Note: there have been boundary changes for this constituency since the last election. These are notional results.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In Oldham West & Royton, one person does not really have one vote, they have the equivalent of 0.051 votes.

You're from Oldham? You poor son of a bitch.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    They have the average voter having .25 votes. That makes no sense
    No, it makes sense. In terms of real ability to affect the outcome, the balance of power is concentrated on a very small area.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

You're from Oldham? You poor son of a bitch.

You're from the South. Have you been there lately? Jesus christ. Fecking southeners. You can't even run away from it, the sickness is inside you.
    Im joking

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No, I'm from nearby. I went to school in Oldham. I just got the hell out of there.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Im from Royton, its not great but its better tahn the rest, its not like Derker or Werneth, the 8th circles of hell.

DarkWarrior on