As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 4-21-10: Buy Doomwar #3

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Graphic Violence
Streets of Gotham #11 was a love/hate book, because :

bsg11a.jpg

bsg11b.jpg

bsg11c.jpg

Zsasz gets gutted, but he'll live. Which really irks me because while Dick won't kill someone, Damien will (and he would have been completely justified in doing so and letting this be a lesson where he learns from it).

So something good but something just as bad, it's like a Sentry/Void thing.

And then Johns did a teaser for the coming year in GL #53, but it feels like a page got lost at the printer or something:
gl53a.jpg

gl53b.jpg

Refresh my memory, when did Ganthet want to get rid of the GL Corp?

TexiKen on

• Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Doomwar

so good. probably the best interpretation of Doom in a looooong, looooong time

also UCA, UCSM, and Who Won't Wield the Shield were all fantastic reads

Diablo Fett on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm reading Doomwar right now, shhhhhh

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    how much should I be reading Doomwar right now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Re: GL #53
    I'm not so sure Ganthet necessarily wants to bring about the end of the Corps, so much as he wants to see major revision in how they are governed. This story arc is titled "The New Guardians" and I have a feeling that Ganthet's play is that he will create some sort of uneasy truce amongst the various colored lantern corps and they will have a Tribunal of sorts that will convene on occasion to talk about space-stuff.

They have been hinting for a while now that the prominent members of each corps: Hal, Carol, Sinestro, Atrocitus, Saint Walker, Larfleeze, and Indigo-1 are the new Guardisn. I mean, if you look at the cover of GL #53, that is exactly what they are implying with the cover of the book.

To further extrapolate on my theory, I'm guessing that the reason Guy is saying Hal won't be his friend anymore is because he knows Hal will be completely against Ganthet's idea, but apparently Guy has bought into it.

Anyway, we have a Brightest Day thread, which is supposed to be about the Brightest Day maxi-series. Do we need to start a new Green Lantern thread to discuss lantern specific stuff? I mean, there are gonna be 3 ongoing lantern series starting next month.

I'd be happy to put together a new GL thread if you guys want one.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    It's very very good. No Black Panther knowledge necessary, purty Scot Eaton art.

Doom hasn't been written this well since Mark Waid's run. And you really feel bad for T'Challa.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm not so sure Ganthet necessarily wants to bring about the end of the Corps, so much as he wants to see major revision in how they are governed. This story arc is titled "The New Guardians" and I have a feeling that Ganthet's play is that he will create some sort of uneasy truce amongst the various colored lantern corps and they will have a Tribunal of sorts that will convene on occasion to talk about space-stuff.

They have been hinting for a while now that the prominent members of each corps: Hal, Carol, Sinestro, Atrocitus, Saint Walker, Larfleeze, and Indigo-1 are the new Guardisn. I mean, if you look at the cover of GL #53, that is exactly what they are implying with the cover of the book.

To further extrapolate on my theory, I'm guessing that the reason Guy is saying Hal won't be his friend anymore is because he knows Hal will be completely against Ganthet's idea, but apparently Guy has bought into it.

But what I don't get is
    Ganthet is the only Guardian to trust, if he has a good idea to fix the GLC, let him, because he's 10x better than the other baldies in the group, plus you have Guy backing him up. It's a no brainer situation.

TexiKen on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    how much should I be reading Doomwar right now

you should have read it yesterday

Diablo Fett on
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

Doom hasn't been written this well since Mark Waid's run.

AHEM

5p26ac.jpg

digit.jpg

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Right, and what I'm saying is that Doom in Doomwar is better than that mini, and up there with Waid's version.

See, I leapfrogg'd you, bra.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    but see

waid's run is not better than doctor doom and the masters of evil so

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Anyway, we have a Brightest Day thread, which is supposed to be about the Brightest Day maxi-series. Do we need to start a new Green Lantern thread to discuss lantern specific stuff? I mean, there are gonna be 3 ongoing lantern series starting next month.

I'd be happy to put together a new GL thread if you guys want one.

since Brightest Day is significantly a GL event, I'm using the Brightest Day thread for all things GL

we can start a new GL thread after brightest day wraps

Rans on
    edited April 2010
    Ugh, just...ugh.

TLB, go listen to your Nickleback or Justin Beiber.

Ughh, that thinking is just so, wrong, bra.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    Dogg

does waid's run have blastaar gettin' all up in doom's grill?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    OK, ignore Ke$ha up above, Doomwar #3, Doom is the greatest lawyer ever:
    dw3a.jpg

dw3b.jpg

dw3c.jpg

dw3d.jpg

dw3e.jpg

dw3f.jpg

And that's only half of his debate to the Cat God, and the Cat God deems Doom pure in his intent and is allowed to pass that super secret lock and take the vibranium to make mega doom bots

Guys, you ignored Great Ten for some insane reason, but please, BUY DOOMWAR

TexiKen on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do I wait 3 days to buy Doomwar #3 or go tomorrow? That scan was very compelling I must say.

Caveman Paws on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My MotW is Jim Rhodes attempting to use Justin Timberlake's music as a weapon against the Red Skull in Ultimate Comics Avengers.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Who's doing the art in Doomwar? I like it a lot.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also is Doomwar an ongoing or limited series?

cardboard delusions on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DOOM!

Hensler on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, Dommwar #3 was awesome, but this was my MOTW:

So here are some highlights of the Thanos Imperative starting up all proper-like.
    The Guardians meet up with the other members that they thought had died at the hands of Magus just in time to see this pretty boy walking out of the mists. I turns out Thanos had killed literally every living thing on the Church of Universal Truth's homeworld and now he wants him some Guardians.
    Image8.jpg?t=1271903325

He's really scary, so Groot takes some initiative.
    Image9.jpg?t=1271903358Image10.jpg?t=1271903378

He's pretty much unstoppable at this point when Peter Quill realizes that if Magus had tricked them into thinking they had killed him, then Peter didn't really use the cosmic cube to do it, he just thought he had. So he decides to use it now:
    Image7.jpg?t=1271903401

Now Thanos is in custody while they figure out what to do with him. Awsome!

Oh, and one more thing:
    Phylla's dead. DEAD dead. Mantis confirmed the corpse and everything.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    I actually really liked Brave & The Bold #33, except for the time warp

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    Who's doing the art in Doomwar? I like it a lot.

Scot Eaton, who's either playing loose with his lines or has a different inker(s) on this work along with a more subdued colorist. Eaton's always a good artist, but when he draws actions scenes like issue #2 was, it's really really good.

And Doomwar is also a 6 issues mini series. And again, you don't have to know anything about any characters in the book to enjoy it, it is one of the most accessible books I've read lately. Mayberry knows how to give us background and exposition without pulling a Claremont.

TexiKen on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There was a funny moment in Ultimate Spider-man where Peter is cornered...
    ...by MJ, Kitty, and Gwen, who give him a hair cut. Ultimate Spidey's Sephiroth-bangs are no more.

They even poke a bit of fun at the first issue cover where Spidey's head is almost perfectly round, which they blame on his hair.

usm_haircut.jpg

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hahahaha i like that they poked fun at all the people hating on lafuente

Sars_Boy on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pfft secretly he must be loving it, because it's not like they could stop him if he really wanted to leave.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He's being womanhandled by 3 girls he likes. The fact that they all talk about him is bonus.

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Keith wrote: »

I liked it too, though I'm not sure what you mean when you say you didn't like the time warp.
    Do you just mean you'd enjoy it more if it wasn't tied to Killing Joke?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010

I liked it too, though I'm not sure what you mean when you say you didn't like the time warp.
    Do you just mean you'd enjoy it more if it wasn't tied to Killing Joke?

No, I mean the iPhone and Beyonce references

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    Oh yeah, that was kind of weird.
    Though I think they might have been there to show it wasn't the original night we were seeing, but a dream Barbara had in remembrance of that night.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just wanted to chime in and throw in one more vote for Doomwar. Every month I'm a little wary of it (not written by a comic book writer; features Black Panther, whom I'm not too interested in), and then every month it kicks my ass. I doubt that the series will have another Doom-moment as great as the one from issue #2 (when Doom totally punks T'Challa in front of Storm), but this week's issue was excellent anyway.

Delduwath on
  • ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Brave & The Bold #33 was my moment of the week too. Was both heartwarming and depressing at the same time. The art by Cliff Chiang was really good too.

Zaylenz on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    American Vampire is starting to grow on me, Skinner's list of the European vampires' Likes and Dislikes cracked me up
    MOONLIGHT
    FAGGY CLOTHES

Green on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Green wrote: »
    American Vampire is starting to grow on me, Skinner's list of the European vampires' Likes and Dislikes cracked me up
    MOONLIGHT
    FAGGY CLOTHES

You didn't like American Vampire from the first issue? I've loved it.

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    Though I think they might have been there to show it wasn't the original night we were seeing, but a dream Barbara had in remembrance of that night.

also the line from Diana "I've never had trouble getting anyone out of their clothes" does not give me hope for JMS's Wonder Woman run

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010

also the line from Diana "I've never had trouble getting anyone out of their clothes" does not give me hope for JMS's Wonder Woman run

I think a ribald sense of humor fits a character like her, who'd probably have a more liberal sense of humor than the average person thanks to worshipping the kind of gods who turn into cows and knock women up, but I do agree that it doesn't fit any prior characterization of her.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One thing about Doomwar:

Didn't wolverine stab that guy THROUGH THE FACE?

Like claws coming out the back of his head?

Doesn't that usually, you know, kill you?

MastaP on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    usually, yes

but most people are not DOOM

Centipede Damascus on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    usually, yes

but most people are not DOOM

Not talking about Doom. I'm talking about the Broker.

MastaP on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DOOM! looks awesome. I wasn't going to pick that up but man, he's a massive badass in it and I love badass DOOM! On the other hand, Ultimate Spidey's haircut was the bestest moment in the week.

Solar on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gog 25. Quill's "Bang."

The end of Unwritten #12 was sufficiently creepy to be memorable as well.

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    From REBELS #15. Earlier in the issue, Vril Dox told Adam Strange that he would return life to the dead world, Rann. Specifically stating that he'd need a giant Zeta Beam. Later, Starfire's zipping through space and goes to look at the place where Tamaran used to be, before it was destroyed. Then this happens.
    1omy40.jpg
    Looks like the Rannians and Tamaraneans will be co-habitating on Tamarann. It's also apparently going to be the new headquarters for L.E.G.I.O.N. It's a little on-the-nose, and I feel like this story's already been done with the whole Rann/Thanagar story, but I like the idea of re-establishing a homeworld for the two displaced races.

Really, I just wish writers would stop blowing up planets willy-nilly. That shit loses its effect after you do it for the tenth time.

I actually really enjoyed Firestar #1, despite it being a little melodramatic and after-school special-y. But that's kind of hard to avoid when you're focusing on the titular character's recent battle with cancer, and her relationship with an old bully. Who's also an alcoholic. But the root of the story deals with Firestar's feelings that she's wasting her life by pursuing something she's passionate about, but which probably won't be financially rewarding. A feeling that's only compounded due to recently having to face her own mortality.

My only major complaint is that Firestar doesn't fight a supervillain it. I know this is a silly quibble, but every time I buy a one-shot or a single issue story, and the action beat is devoted to a superhero battling a random thug, or in this case a pair of carjackers, I wonder why nobody could just slap a mask and a silly costume on the antagonist. Just to make it a little more interesting. I buy superhero comics because I like seeing heroes fight ridiculous villains. I get tired of seeing nameless thugs that are completely disposable and interchangeable.
    While there were no big, "Aw, fuck yeah!" moments in the issue, I really liked how Emma Rios pulled off the following panel. It's preceded by Firestar having a chat with her old bully, who suddenly interrupts to ask if she's wearing a wig.
    14x16i1.jpg

With a lot of artists, it could have come off as silly, but Rios just nailed it. Big credit goes to her colorist Matthew Williams too, who made the whole issue really pop.

X-Factor #204 was pretty good, beginning a tie-in with Second Coming by showing how the military plans to go after the only mutants not located on Utopia, those being Madrox and the rest of X-Factor. To this end, they decide to hire the team and lure them away from the city, so they can kill them without worrying about civilian casualties or the intervention of other heroes.
    2b9wnn.jpg
    A bit of interesting show-don't-tell from PAD. Madrox clearly doesn't trust the person who's hiring them, so he has Longshot take the money from the guy. For those who don't know, Longshot can gather psychic impressions from the things he touches. This bit of trivia cleverly explains the events that follow, without being super obvious about it.

Sif #1 was good, but nothing stands out as particularly great. The story revolves around Sif aiding Beta Ray Bill in removing a technorganic virus from his sentient ship, Skuttlebutt. I appreciated that the writer didn't try to bash me over the head with the parallel between Skuttlebutt and Sif herself, who only recently freed herself from Loki's possession.

Dark Wolverine #85 looks to be kicking off another terrible Wolverine crossover dealing with Romulus, which ends my interest in the book. I'll pick it back up for the Frankencastle crossover, but for me Daken is much less interesting when removed from all the Dark Avengers stuff.

Savage She-Hulks #2 was terrible, and as a fan of two of the three She-Hulks, Jeff Parker, and Salvador Espin, that really hurts to say. I probably shouldn't have picked it up, as I have no idea what's going on in the main Hulk titles. But Jen Walters acts very unlike herself, going so far as to bitch-slap Lyra and basically call her an ungrateful child, and the rest of the issue is dedicated to a pointless fight between the three She-Hulks, and flashbacks we've seen a million times. There's no reason for this book to exist, and it doesn't help that Jonboy Meyers, whose art I actually quite like, fills in for Espin about 2/3 of the way through the book. The shift in style is just too jarring.

But, if you want to read something awesome both written and drawn by Parker, go read this short story.

Munch on