As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NFL [FOOTBALL] - It BEGINS!!

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    2011 NFL Hall of Fame Nominees
    25 pass on to the next stage
    QB
    Phil Simms
    Jim Plunkett
    Ken Anderson
    Doug Williams

RB
    Ottis Anderson
    Roger Craig (2010 Finalist)
    Larry Centers
    Terrell Davis
    Eddie George
    Brian Mitchell
    Gerald Riggs
    Hershel Walker
    Ricky Watters
    Jerome Bettis (1st year eligible)
    Marshall Faulk (1st year)
    Curtis Martin (1st year)

WR
    Tim Brown (2010 Finalist)
    Cris Carter (2010 Finalist)
    Gary Clark
    Henry Ellard
    Herman Moore
    Stanley Morgan
    Mike Quick
    Andre Reed (2010 Finalist)
    JT Smith
    Jimmy Smith (1st year)

TE
    Mark Bavaro
    Todd Christensen
    Ben Coates
    Russ Francis
    Brent Jones
    Shannon Sharpe (2010 Finalist)
    Frank Wycheck

OL
    Bruce Armstrong
    Tony Boselli
    Lomas Brown
    Jim Covert
    Dermonitti Dawson (2010 Finalist)
    Jay Hlegenberg
    Chris Hinton
    Kent Hull
    Joe Jacoby
    Mike Kenn
    Jim Lachey
    Steve Wisnewski
    Willie Roaf (1st year)

DL
    Bubba Baker
    Dave Butz
    Ray Childress
    Richard Dent (2010 Finalist)
    Chris Doleman
    Charles Haley (2010 Finalist)
    Too Tall Jones
    Cortez Kennedy (2010 Finalist)
    Joe Clecko
    Dexter Manley
    Charles Mann
    Fred Smerlas

LB
    Cornelius Bennett
    Kevin Greene
    Ken Harvey
    Clay Matthews
    karl Mecklenburg
    Sam Mills
    Darryl Talley

DB
    Eric Allen
    Steve Atwater
    Bill Bates
    Joey Browner
    LeRoy Butler
    Kenny Easley
    Lester Hayes
    Albert Lewis
    Frank Minnifield
    Donnie Shell
    Aeneas Williams
    Darren Woodson
    Louis Wright
    Deion Sanders (1st year)

Special Teams
    Steve Tasker

Coach
    Bud Carson - defensive coordinator for the Steelers in the 70s "Steel Curtain" era
    Don Coryell (2010 Finalist) - head coach of Chargers during the 1980s "Air Coryell" era
    Tom Flores - Raiders head coach 1979-87, including 2 Super Bowl wins. First minority NFL head coach.
    Jimmy Johnson - Cowboys head coach 1989-93, including 2 Super Bowl wins. Dolphins head coach 1996-98
    Chuck Knox - Rams head coach 1973-77 and 92-94, Bills head coach 1978-82, Seahawks head coach 1983-91
    Buddy Parker - Lions head coach 1950-56, popularized the "2 minute drill". Steelers head coach 1957-65
    Dan Reeves - Broncos head coach 1981-92, Giants head coach 1993-96, Falcons head coach 1997-2003. Named Coach of the Year 2 times.
    Clark Shaughnessy - Rams head coach 1948-49, modernized the T-formation, developed the 3-WR pro set
    Dick Vermeil (1st year)

Contributors
    Bud Adams - charter owner of the Houston Oilers, now Tennessee Titans, helped stabilize the AFL, moved team to Tennessee
    Bobby Beathard - GM of 7 Super Bowl teams for 4 franchises,
    Leo Carlin - Eagles director of ticket-client relations
    Jack Kent Cooke - Redskins owner 1961-97, including 3 Super Bowl wins
    Otho Davis - head trainer Colts 1971-72, Eagles 1973-95. Named Trainer of the Year 5 times.
    Eddie DeBartolo Jr - 49ers owner 1977-2000, including 5 Super Bowl wins
    Ron Gibbs
    Ole Haugsrud - Vikings minority owner 1960-76
    Bucko Kilroy - Patriots GM in the 1980s
    Art McNally - NFL referee 1959-67, Director of Officiating 1968-90, Asst Supervisor of Officials 1996-present
    Art Modell - owner of Browns, now Ravens, 1961-2004
    Bill Nunn
    Joe Robbie - Dolphins owner 1966-90, including 2 Super Bowl wins
    Art Rooney Jr - Steelers owner 2003-present, including 2 Super Bowl wins
    Carroll Rosenbloom - Colts owner 1953-71, including 1 Super Bowl win. Rams owner 1972-79.
    Ed Sabol - founded NFL Films with son Steve
    Steve Sabol - founded NFL Films with father Ed
    Paul Tagliabue - NFL Commissioner 1989-2006, oversaw league expansion from 28 to 32 teams
    Ron Wolf - Packers GM 1991-2001, including 1 Super Bowl win
    George Young - Giants GM 1979-95, including 2 Super Bowl wins. Named Executive of the Year 5 times.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    i totally though prime time was already in, then i remembered the stupid ravens lured him back in what woulda been his 5th year the first time around
    bah

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    A last bit of controversy has hit the Jets before their opener tonight.

Basically, they were acting like 5th graders. I get it because I haven't seen an ass look that damn good in jeans in a very long time.

Sports talk today has been pretty insufferable, because whenever this is brought up, hordes of callers report that "She was dressed too provocatively, should have expected it." Aka, the sickening "askin' for it" defense. Alternately, the only slightly less-sickening "This is why we shouldn't have women reporters in the locker room, because how else do you expect a man to act?".

Fucking man-children.

The reporter was on CNN. She said she didn't really care about the incident. Apparently the "story" is a result ofother reporters at the practice field getting all offended about the "harassment" on her behalf.

So in addition to all the other dumb shit we get from the sports media they've decided to start white knighting as well.

Wonderful.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Basically, they were acting like 5th graders. I get it because I haven't seen an ass look that damn good in jeans in a very long time.

Sports talk today has been pretty insufferable, because whenever this is brought up, hordes of callers report that "She was dressed too provocatively, should have expected it." Aka, the sickening "askin' for it" defense. Alternately, the only slightly less-sickening "This is why we shouldn't have women reporters in the locker room, because how else do you expect a man to act?".

Fucking man-children.

The reporter was on CNN. She said she didn't really care about the incident. Apparently the "story" is a result ofother reporters at the practice field getting all offended about the "harassment" on her behalf.

So in addition to all the other dumb shit we get from the sports media they've decided to start white knighting as well.

Wonderful.

But only White Knighting their own kind. Which is the last group of people that need it.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    CCarter is obvious, they were idiots not to last year. Marshall Faulk is obvious. I think Haley should be in. Maybe Cortez Kennedy, but I dunno. Willie Roaf was dominant.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Never Bud Adams. Never. Or maybe he can be inducted but his bust/plaque is nothing but a middle finger.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

Fucking man-children.

Wonderful.

But only White Knighting their own kind. Which is the last group of people that need it.

My favorite of the knights is Christine Brennan, last seen lecturing Erin Andrews about having brought her stalker on herself.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    QB

RB
    Curtis Martin (1st year)

WR

TE
    Mark Bavaro

OL
    Bruce Armstrong
    Willie Roaf (1st year)

DL
    Fred Smerlas

LB

DB
    Lester Hayes
    Darren Woodson
    Deion Sanders (1st year)

Special Teams

Coach
    Jimmy Johnson - Cowboys head coach 1989-93, including 2 Super Bowl wins. Dolphins head coach 1996-98

Contributors
    Paul Tagliabue - NFL Commissioner 1989-2006, oversaw league expansion from 28 to 32 teams

I think that's the guys who should move on.

Faulk, Carter and Sanders are locks. Willie Roaf and Fred Smerlas should be too, but they won't be.

And no kicker or punter should get in before Ray Guy.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Agreed, but I'd love to see The Field Mouse (Sam Mills) in along with Roaf. With Rickey Jackson already in, it'd put three of the best players in Saints history in the Hall.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if Clay Matthews gets in.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    aaah, now this is what gets my blood boiling

- on my accepted roddy white/peyton manning trade (that got vetoed)

"Yeah, I personally didn't veto the trade to *****. I did veto the trade to jake cus jake's team would then be stacked with a #1 RB and #3 QB. Sorry jake, roddy doesnt cut it in mine and others eyes."

The trade he refers to was Addai and Anquan for Peyton. Apparently Anquan and Addai "cut it", but Roddy White doesn't. So he doesn't veto the clearly worse, less fair trade, but vetos mine, because he thinks I get too good. that's not the point of vetoing guys

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    What is the point of vetoing, anyway?

LaOs on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    LaOs wrote: »

mainly to prevent a guy who doesn't care from trading aaron rodgers randy moss and antonio gates to his friend in 2nd place for sebastian janikowski

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    At Week 1's pace, Janikowski might out score all of those guys anyways.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    y2jake215 wrote: »

mainly to prevent a guy who doesn't care from trading aaron rodgers randy moss and antonio gates to his friend in 2nd place for sebastian janikowski

So, basically, to keep one team from becoming too good?

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I see what you're doing there!

No, the point is preventing one team from being good and another from becoming shit. In the trade he was proposed, he would gain an upgrade at QB and his trade partner would gain a massive upgrade at WR without suffering at QB (I think the guy's other QB is like Brady or Rodgers or something insane like that). Both teams would benefit.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

To prevent collusion. It's not meant for "Wah, your team improves from this trade, I'm vetoing." Teams are supposed to improve from trades, just like they're supposed to improve from waiver wire pickups. Granted, it doesn't always happen, but that's the intent.

If a league feels a trade is collusive enough to warrant a veto, that's basically 1 step from kicking an owner out of the league altogether. A veto is either calling out 2 owners for conspiring with each other to improve 1 team, or accusing one of the trading owners of no longer competing in good faith. Short of welshing on league fees, those are pretty much the worst things you can do in a fantasy league.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    exactly. if anything, the other owners are using the veto as a means of colluding against our two teams. refusing to let him trade his excess qb, and refusing to allow me to improve my team. oh well, the commish just bumped the number of vetoers needed from 4 to 6, and judging from the amount of people who don't check the league until sundays i'm semi-confident the next attempt with go through.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    QB
    Phil Simms
    Jim Plunkett
    Ken Anderson
    Doug Williams

RB
    Ottis Anderson
    Roger Craig (2010 Finalist)
    Larry Centers
    Terrell Davis
    Eddie George
    Brian Mitchell
    Gerald Riggs
    Hershel Walker
    Ricky Watters
    Curtis Martin (1st year)

WR
    Gary Clark
    Henry Ellard
    Herman Moore
    Stanley Morgan
    Mike Quick
    Andre Reed (2010 Finalist)
    JT Smith
    Jimmy Smith (1st year)

TE
    Mark Bavaro
    Todd Christensen
    Ben Coates
    Russ Francis
    Brent Jones
    Frank Wycheck

OL
    Bruce Armstrong
    Tony Boselli
    Lomas Brown
    Jim Covert
    Jay Hlegenberg
    Chris Hinton
    Kent Hull
    Joe Jacoby
    Mike Kenn
    Jim Lachey
    Steve Wisnewski
    Willie Roaf (1st year)

DL
    Bubba Baker
    Dave Butz
    Ray Childress
    Richard Dent (2010 Finalist)
    Chris Doleman
    Charles Haley (2010 Finalist)
    Too Tall Jones
    Cortez Kennedy (2010 Finalist)
    Joe Clecko
    Dexter Manley
    Charles Mann
    Fred Smerlas

LB
    Cornelius Bennett
    Kevin Greene
    Ken Harvey
    Clay Matthews
    karl Mecklenburg
    Sam Mills
    Darryl Talley

DB
    Eric Allen
    Steve Atwater
    Bill Bates
    Joey Browner
    LeRoy Butler
    Kenny Easley
    Lester Hayes
    Albert Lewis
    Frank Minnifield
    Donnie Shell
    Aeneas Williams
    Darren Woodson
    Louis Wright
    Deion Sanders (1st year)

Special Teams
    Steve Tasker

Coach
    Bud Carson - defensive coordinator for the Steelers in the 70s "Steel Curtain" era
    Don Coryell (2010 Finalist) - head coach of Chargers during the 1980s "Air Coryell" era
    Tom Flores - Raiders head coach 1979-87, including 2 Super Bowl wins. First minority NFL head coach.
    Chuck Knox - Rams head coach 1973-77 and 92-94, Bills head coach 1978-82, Seahawks head coach 1983-91
    Buddy Parker - Lions head coach 1950-56, popularized the "2 minute drill". Steelers head coach 1957-65
    Dan Reeves - Broncos head coach 1981-92, Giants head coach 1993-96, Falcons head coach 1997-2003. Named Coach of the Year 2 times.
    Clark Shaughnessy - Rams head coach 1948-49, modernized the T-formation, developed the 3-WR pro set
    Dick Vermeil (1st year)

Contributors
    Bud Adams - charter owner of the Houston Oilers, now Tennessee Titans, helped stabilize the AFL, moved team to Tennessee
    Leo Carlin - Eagles director of ticket-client relations
    Jack Kent Cooke - Redskins owner 1961-97, including 3 Super Bowl wins
    Otho Davis - head trainer Colts 1971-72, Eagles 1973-95. Named Trainer of the Year 5 times.
    Eddie DeBartolo Jr - 49ers owner 1977-2000, including 5 Super Bowl wins
    Ron Gibbs
    Ole Haugsrud - Vikings minority owner 1960-76
    Bucko Kilroy - Patriots GM in the 1980s
    Art McNally - NFL referee 1959-67, Director of Officiating 1968-90, Asst Supervisor of Officials 1996-present
    Art Modell - owner of Browns, now Ravens, 1961-2004
    Bill Nunn
    Joe Robbie - Dolphins owner 1966-90, including 2 Super Bowl wins
    Art Rooney Jr - Steelers owner 2003-present, including 2 Super Bowl wins
    Carroll Rosenbloom - Colts owner 1953-71, including 1 Super Bowl win. Rams owner 1972-79.
    Ed Sabol - founded NFL Films with son Steve
    Steve Sabol - founded NFL Films with father Ed
    Ron Wolf - Packers GM 1991-2001, including 1 Super Bowl win
    George Young - Giants GM 1979-95, including 2 Super Bowl wins. Named Executive of the Year 5 times.

Ray Guy is not on the list, but Mike Quick is? That is fucked up on SO many levels.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Brian Mitchell is on that fucking list.

I don't know how, but the Ray Guy for HOF movement really needs some more publicity. He's the single greatest punter ever and last I checked punter was a position in the NFL. Sadly I think a punt to win the Super Bowl is what it's going to take to get him in. Elam and Vinatieri will be in before Guy.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait, what? Roddy and Peyton are both 2nd round material, while Addai/Boldin are 4th/5th round material. That's a terrible trade that got accepted.

How do your league members view that as fair D:
    I realize where they're drafted is probably useless right now, but it's only been one week.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    like he said, he's clearly thinking only of the fact my team gets better, and that the guy with addai and boldin isn't as good.

in other news -

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/clinton-portis-ines-sainz-new-york-jets-nfl-truths-jason-whitlock-091610

the ooonly columnist who tells it like it is. i think we were separated at birth, because i find myself having the exact same opinions

edit - the column is (partly) about this overblown inez sainz controversy, and how harmless portis' comments were

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Hey, works for me--I was genuinely curious about the purpose of the veto.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would only vote against a trade that is either 1) collusive, like bubba said, or 2) hilariously noncompetitive. Trading a 2nd round pick for a fourth isn't that.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    vjax may return. hmm. i tried to trade for him last night before the hearing but the other guy hasnt seen yet. toooo late.

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Expendables, I'm willing to trade Reggie Wayne or Austin Collie for another W/R or Flex..

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I had Ryan Grant in all PA leagues I'm in.
    So, any offer including a RB that actually starts is welcome.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Expendables, I'm willing to trade Reggie Wayne or Austin Collie for another W/R or Flex..

:lol: Enjoy!

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    zeeny wrote: »
    I had Ryan Grant in all PA leagues I'm in.
    So, any offer including a RB that actually starts is welcome.

Who are you willing to give up for Brandon Jackson? Roddy? Greg Jennings?

mrt144 on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So can running backs grab the face masks of defenders?

Because I saw that on one play with the Broncos I think and no one seemed to call him on it so...what the hell?

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

Because I saw that on one play with the Broncos I think and no one seemed to call him on it so...what the hell?

Did he grab and drag the defender down?
    For the most part a ball carrier can stiff arm a face mask of an oncoming tackler.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Nah he was just holding on to it so the defender could not get any closer. Which seems a bit unfair to me because how the hell are you supposed to tackle someone when he's got your head stuck away from him?

Kagera on
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arm tackle

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Be Patrick Willis

big l on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Who on my team would you like for Collie? I'm open to trading any reciever besides naanee and jennings, and also trading jonathan stewart

mrt144 on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So Owen Daniels was dropped in my league, and I'm starting Chris Cooley right now. Thoughts on adding him? He was a top TE last season before going down to injury, but there's also the presence of Arian Foster who I assume will take away some production from Andre and potentially Owen.

If not Cooley, I would probably drop Maroney? (Spiller, Ward, Matt Cassel for 2 QB slots, TB Mike Williams, Gaffney and Peyton Hillis make up the rest of my bench).

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would absolutely drop Maroney for Daniels

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Kagera wrote: »

The only time it's legal to latch onto a facemask is if it's attached to Aaron Rodgers helmet.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    a runner can stiff arm a defender in the facemask but he's not allowed to grab it, obviously that's hard to tell but grabbing onto it isn't a huge advantage to the runner anyway since the idea is to get away from the guy not drag him along with you.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    It was Arian Foster of the Texans.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81a78c1e/Foster-gets-200-plus-yards-three-TDs

If you look at the second play in this video at the end of his run he's clearly grabbing and holding on to the defender's facemask.

That's what I was talking about.

Kagera on
This discussion has been closed.