As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

where to find a high resolution image of the best painting ever?

mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
In 2004, I went to Paris with some friends and we spent one of our days there at the Louvre. We were there when they opened, we were there when they closed. Which was a lot of museum for one day. Somewhere around hour six, we stumbled upon this painting and my spirits were renewed.
o6mvpk.jpg

Le Lion de Florence by Nicolas-André Monsiau 1801

One of the friends I was with is finishing up an Art History Program and I would like to give him a print of the painting as a graduation present, or at least make a card from a medium resolution image. At the Louvre the painting is high up on the wall, so the few high resolution pictures I have found taken by others are skewed, or have some reflections in them due to the angle at which the picture was taken.

Nicolas-André Monsiau doesn't seem to be very famous. The only place I can find that sells a print online is in germany and I am in the states. They do ship internationally but you would figure someone has a high resolution file stateside.

So Perhaps someone is better at google searches than I am. Or you're in art school and have access to high resolution images of paintings in the Louvre collection?

wiki commons
Bonus Image

mehmehmeh on

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How big are we talking about printing? Big prints (8"x12" and up) will not likely be possible with the biggest image you'll find online. For poster size, you'll want to be looking at places that specialize in posters/big prints of paintings. You might try contacting your local art gallery's print store and seeing if they either carry it or can order it in for you.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    8x10 or so would be fine. The picture I posted was the high resolution I could find, which won't print well at all. If I could find anything better I could make a 4x6 card or something.

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    is that the woman with the boob sticking out and the lion is carrying away the baby?

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You could order it from Germany.

This place appears to let you purchase usage rights: http://www.lessing-photo.com/dispimg.asp?i=40112120+&cr=3&cl=1

But otherwise you might want to talk to a local museum to see what their opinion is. You could call them to see what the normal procedures are for something like this.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know there are better pictures of tits out there... Just sayin'...

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    I dunno, man. I mean, yeah, the actual tit itself is better in other pictures but the picture as a whole? This is pretty hard to beat.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »
    I dunno, man. I mean, yeah, the actual tit itself is better in other pictures but the picture as a whole? This is pretty hard to beat.

I see your baby-snatching lion and I raise you a lion in a sidecar.

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hmm lessing-photo.com will grant me the poster printing rights for 170 euros for up to 250 pieces in a3 sized prints. Perhaps it is an untapped market waiting to be exploited.

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jimmy King wrote: »

I see your baby-snatching lion and I raise you a lion in a sidecar.

Needs more baby snatching.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kids these days.

Have you tried your local library? Bring the name of the painting to one of the people working there and say you need a book with that painting in it. They'll find it if it's there, and you can scan it.

If you're lucky, they'll have a slide.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    That picture is so ridiculous I can't help but think it was somebody's early 19th-century lolcat.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Can I haz first born?

Figgy on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That baby's taking it pretty well, all things considered.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like how the woman seems to be yelling at the baby, as if it's his fault.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Cyrus106Cyrus106 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This has to be the most hardcore painting I have ever seen, it's funny and very detailed.

Cyrus106 on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eh.

If you are going for ridiculous old paintings basically theres no better guy to go to than Heironymous Bosch:

http://telescoper.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/das_letzte_gericht.jpg

hieronymus_bosch.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ceres wrote: »
    That picture is so ridiculous I can't help but think it was somebody's early 19th-century lolcat.

Consider that in the 16th century, music in churches would often consist of songs about "Roses", "Springtime", and "Death", all of which were used as sex metaphors, sung all at the same time over a slow drone. The slow drone was derived in such songs from a Gregorian chant. Essentially church music was the equivalent of playing a Brittany Spears+Rap mashup over a super-slowed down chorus of Ode to Joy.

That was sacred music.

Never underestimate the pure absurdity in the history of the Arts.

Khavall on
  • Options
    gearngearn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    lolcats through the ages

gearn on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I got an email back from an artwork rights leasing company. For a one off print, for personal use, they wanted $250, not for a print, but the right to print the image once. The right to print 500 or 1000 copies isn't much more (and the associated costs of off set printing are also very cheap versus one-off digital prints).

I am seriously considering printing this poster, because six years later, I still laugh at it, and would like a tangible piece of that memory. Whether or not this painting has a reasonable value to others is questionable.

I am also enjoying thinking of names for the webstore that would sell this print. LionStoleMybaby(!).com is still available.

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not anymore its not!

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mehmehmeh wrote: »
    I got an email back from an artwork rights leasing company. For a one off print, for personal use, they wanted $250, not for a print, but the right to print the image once. The right to print 500 or 1000 copies isn't much more (and the associated costs of off set printing are also very cheap versus one-off digital prints).

I am seriously considering printing this poster, because six years later, I still laugh at it, and would like a tangible piece of that memory. Whether or not this painting has a reasonable value to others is questionable.

I am also enjoying thinking of names for the webstore that would sell this print. LionStoleMybaby(!).com is still available.

In case you were serious about that last part in any way, the "right to print" does not mean "the right to print and sell."

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

In case you were serious about that last part in any way, the "right to print" does not mean "the right to print and sell."

Well the rights are from a commercial rights leasing company so I would think they include the right to sell. I'm sure we would go over all the details if I were to buy the rights. Like do they allow me to advertise the print with an image of the print? Because they have separate rights to purchase for advertising. I would hope the right to print and sell include some basic "we have this print IMG" advertising rights allowed.

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Well the rights are from a commercial rights leasing company so I would hope they include the right to sell. I'm sure we would go over all the details if I were to buy the rights. Like do they allow me to advertise the print with an image of the print? Because they have separate rights to purchase for advertising. I would hope the write to print and sell include some basic advertising "we have this print" rights.

The right to print and sell would be so much more than $250. So much more.

You yourself even quoted it as "print for personal use."

Personal means you, not customers.

Figgy on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Well the rights are from a commercial rights leasing company so I would think they include the right to sell.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh god no. Good thing this was headed off. The right to reproduce for personal use is an entirely different thing than the right to reproduce for commercial use.

It would be outrageously illegal for you to sell that work of art after buying even infinite number of personal reproduction rights. And for good reason. If you owned the rights to a work of art and some douche bought the rights to make any amount of copies for personal use, would you be ok with them selling their "Personal" copies for a profit?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Khavall wrote: »

Well the rights are from a commercial rights leasing company so I would think they include the right to sell.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh god no. Good thing this was headed off. The right to reproduce for personal use is an entirely different thing than the right to reproduce for commercial use.

It would be outrageously illegal for you to sell that work of art after buying even infinite number of personal reproduction rights. And for good reason. If you owned the rights to a work of art and some douche bought the rights to make any amount of copies for personal use, would you be ok with them selling their "Personal" copies for a profit?

I guess I should clarify

The leasing company specializes is commercial use, like I want to print this on a calender, or on the cover of a book, or poster/prints. Each use has a different rate depending on print sizes/print runs.

I contacted them to see if they had a discounted right for a one off personal, non commercial print. they replied with $250, which is almost as much as their commercial rates for 500 prints, moving to 1000 isn't much more after that.

Yes if I was moving forward with buying the large run commercial printing rights I would make sure I had the right to sell.

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    curses. so on 5/21 a user named aarends (who also registered on 5/21 and has 0 posts) PM'd me because they had found this thread through google while researching the painting and they also had a high resolution picture of the painting that they had taken themselves and offered to me.

I didn't know about the PM because the default behavior of the forum is to not email you when one is received and I had been browsing the forum logged out (having recently cleared my cookies). So aarends I hope you come back to the forum and read my PM reply.

mehmehmeh on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you're going commercial, I got $20 on it.

Deebaser on