As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ModNation Racers] Wait? People are still playing this? Ummm...Vita version pending? Yay?

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    HOWTO: Get 2 out of the 3 pre-order bonuses.

Step 1: Secure transportation to Best Buy.

Step 2: While there, purchase this item for $5
    1621402a.jpg

Step 3: Upon returning home, open your purchase to find this. On the back is your code for Nathan Drake goodies.
    eb2c2ff1.jpg

Step 4: Pre-order from Amazon or Gamestop to get your 2nd choice of pre-order goodies.

Step 5: ???

Step 6: Profit

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh sweet. Best Buy already has their reserve codes? I am so there tomorrow morning.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Beltaine! Hmmm. Now that gives me ideas. I'm curious now if they have clear pipes you can drive through. If they do I'm Gonna do Wipeout Pure kinda underwater tube style tracks.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    For those of you in the beta, how is the actual racing in this game? How do the game mechanics stack up against other kart racing games, or really other racing games in general? I personally consider Mario Kart 64 to be the king of the kart racing genre for both track design and overall racing mechanics. How would you guys rate it compared to the king?

Also, how are the weapons and combat while racing? Do they have any "special" attacks or unique attacks for the named characters or anything?

I'm just curious about how the game holds up as an actual kart racer. Almost all of the hype and publicity for this game is focused on the "create and share" aspect, but I'm curious about the "race" part.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been excited about the concept of this game for quite some time, so I'm really hoping a demo is dropped to confirm my suspicions that it is indeed freaking awesome.

Upon reading MostlyJoe13's description of a water-domianted track with little jumps over rivers around a large water body, I thought how cool it'd be to have a large jump into a downward facing tunnel into the middle of a lake, with water running along the sides of the tunnel / potentially water dripping down from the ceiling etc

Kind of hard to explain what's going in on my head but after seeing that inFamous video I think if I learn the tools well enough it should translate nicely! :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here are a series of videos that are called "Artist Spotlights" which are all really good. Basically, they are game devs from other Sony exclusive companies, talking about their experience with getting to playtest Modnation.

Ted Price - Insomniac Games (Ratchet & Clank, Resistance)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfx0xCHNC70

Michael McClain - Sucker Punch (inFamous, Sly Cooper)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZDobk-RoP8

David Jaffe - Eat, Sleep, Play (Twisted Metal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9gawc2s_S0

Ok, so lets talk about the content of some of these videos. In the Sucker Punch video, the team actually creates a full fledged track of Empire City. It looks pretty fuckin' sweet and I totally want to play it. I wonder if that will be an actual track that's available in the game? I hope so. They are also racing with a Cole character which would be sweet if he were actually in the game.

Additionally, in the Eat, Sleep, Play video, there's a shot of a Sweettooth character (Twisted Metal clown). That would be so awesome to get to race as Sweettooth. I really hope these characters and tracks that they are showing in these videos will be in the final product of the game.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, is it only pre-order copies of Modnation Racers that are going to have Sackboy, or just any of the first shipments? The way it sounds, its the first shipment, but if its just special games that will only supposedly be given out as preorders.. that makes me nervous as to actually getting one even though I preorder.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So, is it only pre-order copies of Modnation Racers that are going to have Sackboy, or just any of the first shipments? The way it sounds, its the first shipment, but if its just special games that will only supposedly be given out as preorders.. that makes me nervous as to actually getting one even though I preorder.

Looks like first shipment. Looks like the code will be inside the case.

race_as_sackboy_packart.png

Image shows a picture of Sackboy on the box-art which leads me to believe it will be included in the packaging for all first printings of the game.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think it's preorders.

On that note, I think they're gonna pre-load a lot of tracks and mods for folks to download when things go live. So we might see the inFamous track and the other non-preorder bonus stuff up there for us to mess with day 1.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ah ha. Did some digging. There IS going to be some PSP to PS3 interconnectivity. It's limited, but it's there.

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-512513.aspx

Oh, and Europe is getting PSP/PS3 bundles with the game.

http://www.destructoid.com/europe-getting-modnation-racer-ps3-psp-bundles-172696.phtml

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This game is only 21 days away. I'm really surprised we don't have a more lively discussion going on in this thread. Are people just not that interested?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    This game is only 21 days away. I'm really surprised we don't have a more lively discussion going on in this thread. Are people just not that interested?

I think the beta really killed a lot of interest.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I haven't really even read much about the beta. Maybe its just as well.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    They really should release another demo to kick things back into gear. As a some people seemed to complain about how the racing "felt" off, a demo would probably go pretty far to assuage fears.

Anyway, I pre-ordered the game at Best Buy. Go Drake, Go!

InkSplat on
  • Options
    TiberiusTiberius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The racing may have felt "off" for some in the beta, but apparently that's no longer a concern in the final release - IGN just released their review of the game this morning, and I quote:

"...For my money, this is one of the best handling kart racers on the market... The first time I drifted in ModNation Racers, it felt natural; it's firm and precise."

The review is pretty much a glowing endorsement - they gave it a 9.0 and the Editor's Choice Award:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1087498p1.html

Tiberius on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The local Sony rep did a demonstration at the Gamestop that I work at. Unfortunately for me, he kind of just showed up with no warning and so only the people who were working at the time got to see it. But according to the manager who was closing that night, its fucking sweet.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That sounds promising. I just hope the weapons are more balanced, or at least, hope it's possible to switch them off. Although, from the beta, it's possible to create tracks without weapons, so I could easily download a track, remove all the weapon pickups, and use that as a last resort. Then again, I could just as easily hit the middle ground and reduce the amount of pickups by half.

That's one of the other things I look forward to; people improving other people's mods/karts/tracks, but with the creator still retaining some of the credit. It paves the way for collaborative efforts, and would allow a group of people to make their own series of mods, karts and tracks, like a racing version of M.U.G.E.N.

Of course, there's bound to be a few dozen people who think it's funny to make a track in the shape of a cock...

...which would invariably result in someone making an 'improved' version with pubes.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I would really like to see Modnation Platformers. Where you build a platforming level in a similar way to building the track. Raise and lower terrain, run & jump to create platforms.

I mean, I know we have LBP, but this would be more like Mario 64. And that would be awesome.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Interesting, the IGN review has me curious again. I played the beta and hated it. Everything was so laggy and like others have mentioned, the gameplay was weak. Sounds like they've gotten their act together a bit though so I'm going to keep my eye on this one.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, obviously the beta test did change the way the game was tweeked. We can hope they actually tweeked not only the mechanics and weapons. After all, that was kinda the point of the beta.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dudes. I found pictures of the 4 mystery karts.

Keep in mind that the way these work is that you will get a code for 1 of 4 on your preorder card.

Mouse Trap
    ModNation_MouseTrap.jpg

Lil Tinker
    ModNation_LilTinker.jpg

Cowboy
    ModNation_Cowboy.jpg

Woody
    ModNation_Woody.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    God I hope that level of kart body modification is included in the toolset, that Mouse Trap one looks amazing

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    You get some of the costume pieces along with the racers. For example, on the Lil Tinker, you get his glasses as an extra costume piece that only people with the Lil Tinker racer will have.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Honestly, this was never on my radar. When I saw it originally at E3, I thought it was going to be a cute little downloadable game from PSN. Then I saw the creation tools in depth, and while they looked good, the racing looked pretty ordinary. Now watching the IGN video review, it looks fantastic. They didn't do a good job of hyping this.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There should be an almost LittleBigPlanet level of hype considering the release is only weeks away.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Are you kidding me? It's all over the PSN now and it's being covered by multiple online sites. Btw, there are two free Modnation Racer PS3 backgrounds up on the Playstation Store if you want them.

I got the guy one.

Damn. I hope the Sheriff star isn't Cowboy's icon. I'd love to make a police car getup using that. But damn. I'm going to go get the Nathan Drake preorder from Best Buy this week. So I can get 2 of these 'bonus' racers. I like Tinker's X-ray specs, but Mouse Trap is awesome....but Woody's Golf Cart. Golf Cart! Arggh!

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Are you kidding me? It's all over the PSN now and it's being covered by multiple online sites. Btw, there are two free Modnation Racer PS3 backgrounds up on the Playstation Store if you want them.

I got the guy one.

Damn. I hope the Sheriff star isn't Cowboy's icon. I'd love to make a police car getup using that. But damn. I'm going to go get the Nathan Drake preorder from Best Buy this week. So I can get 2 of these 'bonus' racers. I like Tinker's X-ray specs, but Mouse Trap is awesome....but Woody's Golf Cart. Golf Cart! Arggh!

I'm sure you could make a good symbol for a police car--the IGN reviewer mentioned that he made the Ghostbuster's logo for his Ecto 1 cart in just a couple of minutes.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ya, that was a cool looking Ecto 1 wasn't it? :mrgreen:

I wonder if I can put Neon lighting on the cars? I want to build TRON themed stuff.

How about we go with a Nascar themed name for the PA forum team?

<something> <something> Merchadies Team?

Though, I love the Merchadies part of the name. It's a great shorthand for the team.

Also, please give you PSN handle if you want to included in the PA Merchadies Team!

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sign me up.

ArcticArctos/North America/no mic

Not even sure the game would support mic, but I don't see why not.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Sign me up.

ArcticArctos/North America/no mic

Not even sure the game would support mic, but I don't see why not.

I never asked. But if folks want to include location/mic info in their blurb. I'll add it too the list.

I'll take a try at building a Merchadies logo for us when it goes live, unless someone with more art talent is gonna try?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    InkSplat on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    InkSplat wrote: »

Load times are an minor issue. The weapons seemed to have been ramped up. Which is good. If word about the kart physics is right then I think we have a winner here folks.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    One thing that kind of bugs me is that this game is coming out the very same day as Split/Second, and only a week after Blur.

What's the deal with games of similar type getting released at the same time? This happened last year with Prototype, inFamous, and Red Faction Guerrilla all getting released at the same time.

I actually played the demo of Blur, and thought it was pretty fun, but I know I want Modnation more, and so getting Blur and only playing it for a week would be a waste of money.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Blur and Split/Second are really a different type of game. They're focusing on more real car racing. This is a Kart Game. Kart Games have always been...wacky?

If Sega Kart and this came out at the same time I'd see your issue. That said, it's the season. Just be thankful this wasn't packed in there around the other mega launches coming out later in the season. Fall-Christmas 2010 is going to be chock-a-block full of stuff. THEN it will hurt.

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've had another idea for a team name while [strike]goofing off[/strike] at work [strike]again[/strike] - "Rollin' on 20s". Logo would be a twenty-sided die (possibly with wheels and an exhaust). Either that, or I'll just incorporate that into a Tycho Mod/Kart combo.

@El Fantastico - the beta had mic support, so I think it's safe to say it'll be in.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Why am I just NOW hearing about this game!? I have been dreaming about a kart racer that allows you to make your own map since Mario Kart for the SNES.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Blur and Split/Second are really a different type of game. They're focusing on more real car racing. This is a Kart Game. Kart Games have always been...wacky?

If Sega Kart and this came out at the same time I'd see your issue. That said, it's the season. Just be thankful this wasn't packed in there around the other mega launches coming out later in the season. Fall-Christmas 2010 is going to be chock-a-block full of stuff. THEN it will hurt.

Ehh, I'd say they're a lot more similar than you think. Sure, Blur has real cars in it, but that's just a facade. That game is still just a kart racer. And Split/Second is like a Michael Bay directed car game. Its all about explosions and doing crazy stuff. Not exactly a realistic driving sim.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've had another idea for a team name while [strike]goofing off[/strike] at work [strike]again[/strike] - "Rollin' on 20s". Logo would be a twenty-sided die (possibly with wheels and an exhaust). Either that, or I'll just incorporate that into a Tycho Mod/Kart combo.

Ooooo. How does The Rolln' 20's Merchadies Racing Team stike folks?

That way we can incorporate the d20 and the Merch as company logos in our various PA designs. Oh dear. I'm going to have to try my hand at building a Darkmagic Express. :) Too bad...can I do a little JIM licence plate?

Mostlyjoe13 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Ooooo. How does The Rolln' 20's Merchadies Racing Team stike folks?

That way we can incorporate the d20 and the Merch as company logos in our various PA designs. Oh dear. I'm going to have to try my hand at building a Darkmagic Express. :) Too bad...can I do a little JIM licence plate?

Sounds good to me; now I have the image in my head of an advert - "950BHP, and fueled by the blood of children. Buy the new Merchades Fleshreaper. Or else."

...That's it, I'm definitely making a series of PA Karts. Let's see... Fleshreaper, CTS, and Fruit Fucker would probably make good Kart fodder... (although the latter would probably have to be renamed "Fruit Funker")

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Don't forget Div.

Poor poor Div.

Lucascraft on