As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Easy Games my dad could play

KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Anyone know of some cool games that have the easiest of controls so my dad won't get frustrated and give up?

I'm talking easy like Beachhead controls easy. As a side note, he would probably like games that have him in a tank, battleship gunner seat, or bomber plane, etc....

Thanks

![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
!!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
!!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
of doom
KingMoo on

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Platform?

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The one that comes to my mind is "Heavy Weapon" on XBLA. You're in a little tank, it's 2-D, and controls are stupidly easy (easy enough for me, even). It's a little on the campy side, so if he's looking for serious, this isn't it, but if you just want simple, I'd give that one a try. It also has single-box multiplayer, so you can play too.

Also, what systems are you looking for? Knowing what you've got available might help.

illirica on
  • Options
    gearngearn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    iPad stuff

gearn on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Katamari damacy? Its hella camp but fun. The controls take a liiitle getting used to but not much.

edit: One of the zombie shooting games if you have a wii?

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    sorry... PC games only please

oh, and probably won't like cartoony/flashy stuff with so much crazyness on the screen. his head might explode...

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    chess

gearn on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's not simple, but it does have a really easy learning curve: Civilization 4.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ninja Gaiden

rofl
    rofl
    rofl

But in all seriousness, your dad wants to get into a straightforward flying game? HAWX is very simple to control and has LOADS of assistance options for new/bad flight "sim" players, and is absolutely an arcade style sim.

Robman on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Portal. If I can play it, anyone with 2 fully functioning hands can.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Portal is a bad choice because first of all FPS requires more spatial awareness that some people don't have in a game and second combine that with the mind bending portal mechanic and you have epic fail.

gearn on
  • Options
    MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So games that have a very simple premise/controls, or just games that don't require any sort of agility?

If the latter then I'd look into any turn-based strategy game. Civ IV is probably top of the heap, and there's Total War, as long as he stays away from player-controlled battles. Heroes of Might and Magic, and Disciples are other good choices.

MindLib on
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Plants Vs Zombies

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    MindLib wrote: »
    So games that have a very simple premise/controls, or just games that don't require any sort of agility?

If the latter then I'd look into any turn-based strategy game. Civ IV is probably top of the heap, and there's Total War, as long as he stays away from player-controlled battles. Heroes of Might and Magic, and Disciples are other good choices.

problem is its a little bit of both. it needs to have a simple premise, controls, require very little hand-eye coordination. and a war theme would be nice.

he enjoyed some kind of Luftwaffe game about 20 years ago where you set your bomber plane on course, turned on autopilot, and then you could switch between the gunner positions on the plane until you get to the bomb run location.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monkey Island. Sam and Max.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My dad is like that, he really likes the game "Chocolatier."

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    KingMoo wrote: »

problem is its a little bit of both. it needs to have a simple premise, controls, require very little hand-eye coordination. and a war theme would be nice.

he enjoyed some kind of Luftwaffe game about 20 years ago where you set your bomber plane on course, turned on autopilot, and then you could switch between the gunner positions on the plane until you get to the bomb run location.

This was Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe".

Awesome game. I played the crap out of that, and just the way you said too :)

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    gearn wrote: »
    Portal is a bad choice because first of all FPS requires more spatial awareness that some people don't have in a game and second combine that with the mind bending portal mechanic and you have epic fail.

Yes, it's a terrible suggestion. It may be a good game, but would be a real mind-bender for a non-geek.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

These games are ace, but extremely difficult and complicated for a non-geek.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

These games are ace, but extremely difficult and complicated for a non-geek.

Just pick a cool game, then setup the game on easy with cheats for health/ammo or something.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    PirateJon wrote: »
    Just pick a cool game, then setup the game on easy with cheats for health/ammo or something.

'Fraid it's not that simple.

For most games, even if you stick them on the easiest mode, the basic controls are too complicated for non-gamers. Think of all those buttons on a controller.

And beyond that, there's a lot of language/culture issues we take for granted. For instance, what does "telepathy" mean, and how do you find the exit in a level? You know this, non-gamers may not.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    PaperPrittPaperPritt Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elin wrote: »
    Plants Vs Zombies

This.

Edit: Limed because ..yeah.

PaperPritt on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I cautiously reccomend Braid. It's really really easy to start, but it gets complicated fast. It's agreat game for people who like some plot/mind bending.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Apogee wrote: »
    I cautiously reccomend Braid. It's really really easy to start, but it gets complicated fast. It's agreat game for people who like some plot/mind bending.

Again... great game, but will blow the mind of the average older person who does not play games. My goodness, that game is *HARD*

How about Heavy Weapon by Popcap games?

http://www.popcap.com/games/heavyweapon?mid=heavyweapon_pc_en_full

Simple side-scrolling game, you control a tank.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Have you considered trying a realistic flight simulator?

Have him try the trial version of one.

I'd imagine that flying for real is kind of like driving where it's boring doesn't require much unless you make a mistake or are doing fancy tricks.

Though, honestly, I haven't played a flight simulation in over 20 years (unless Battlefield 2 counts), so they could be very different.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Have you considered trying a realistic flight simulator?

Have him try the trial version of one.

I'd imagine that flying for real is kind of like driving where it's boring doesn't require much unless you make a mistake or are doing fancy tricks.

Though, honestly, I haven't played a flight simulation in over 20 years (unless Battlefield 2 counts), so they could be very different.

Battlefield definitely doesn't count, at all. They even have a goddamn Blackhawk in FS:X, and it takes you about three seconds to realize how differently it behaves compared to the BF2/BC2 helos.

That three seconds is how long it takes you to flip over after taking off.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Apogee wrote: »

Again... great game, but will blow the mind of the average older person who does not play games. My goodness, that game is *HARD*

How about Heavy Weapon by Popcap games?

http://www.popcap.com/games/heavyweapon?mid=heavyweapon_pc_en_full

Simple side-scrolling game, you control a tank.

too many bullets, flashy crazy bombs, and colors will scare him. He needs something like Beach Head for realism or a simplistic tank game like Wii Play's Tanks. Anyone know a game like wii play tanks for PC?

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Geometry wars?

It's chaotic but ridiculously simple.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Blaket wrote: »
    Geometry wars?

It's chaotic but ridiculously simple.

chaotic = dad's brains exploding

realism is required to keep his brain safe...

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    of doom
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My dad loves playing old N64 platformers like Super Mario 64 and Banjo + Kazooie.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only game my dad ever played, and still plays to this day is the Legend of Zelda. God help us when the NES breaks down. He will play it from start to finish because the battery in the cart is long since dead.

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Instead of Civ IV, I'd rather suggest the Anno games/Dawn of Discovery. It's more accessible for people who have never played Civ before. And it's gorgeous.

Platy on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe left field, but World in Conflict on easy. Easily identifiable units, good story, great graphics, easy RTS mechanics (you only have 3-4 units to control at a time. no base building, no resources to worry about). Lots of tanks to control.

Rook on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Plants vs. Zombies, Bejewled, Peggle would all do nicely (though they lack the military theme). Puzzle Quest might be interesting because the controls are super simple, you can largely ignore mounts/capturing if you want to, and you get rewarded even if you lose a battle.

Another possibility would be to find a PC version of a board game like Settlers of Catan. Turn based, simple play, lots of possibilities.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X