As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The gaming related "I have a question" thread

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are there any games where the enemy is just as strong as the player character. Doesn't matter the game, I am thinking of a game where its not cannon fodder (any megaman game) but someone with a challenge, kind like how shadow of the colossus was all bosses, something like that.

Picture Megaman Zero 3 where the final boss was instead, teh regular enemy for the entire game.

RoyceSraphim on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a question from Shenmue II (of all games).

Right near the beginning of the game, the first day you start working at the docks and Joy picks you up, she asks you something in Chinese which isn't translated in the subtitles. What does she ask? This has been bothering me for around 7 years, haha.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I want a DS game that involves action and platforming.

I have played the marios and zeldas.

I just want something new.

Help!

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is there a way to use voice chat on PS3 outside of a game that directly supports it?

For example, if I wanted to use headsets to chat with a friend to organize a meet up in Demon's Souls and roll around, is that possible?

fadingathedges on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are there any games where the enemy is just as strong as the player character. Doesn't matter the game, I am thinking of a game where its not cannon fodder (any megaman game) but someone with a challenge, kind like how shadow of the colossus was all bosses, something like that.

Picture Megaman Zero 3 where the final boss was instead, teh regular enemy for the entire game.

Depending on your exact requirements you could look for a few different types.

Fighting games are the obvious first option. Strategy games (real time and turned based) as well: it's easy to set up games where they all start with the same options as you do, though in RTS the AI often cheats at higher difficulties, and in TBS the AI often has some very suspect tendencies.

Of particular note are the first few X-COM games. The aliens actually start out significantly stronger than the player, and without constant saving and reloading most of your troops will die without firing a shot in any given mission. You eventually get strong enough to stand toe-to-toe with most aliens, but until then you're working from a disadvantage.

Second would be Contra or Metal Slug. Yes, most of the enemies are fodder, but they all die in one or two hits while you die in one hit. Aside from the AI and that you can shoot faster, any enemy can kill you.

After that you could try the Ninja Gaiden series. With the difficulty above normal almost every enemy has the potential to dish out as much damage as you do.

For DS platforming there's Contra 4 and the Megaman Z and ZX games.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited May 2010
    Already having "fun" with X-COM, sorely disappointed that nothing else like Zeno Clash exists in terms of enemy skill. I guess I am looking for something like final fight or double dragon where the bad guys are more quality over quantity, time to fire up Godhand.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

Help!

Contra 4, Kirby Superstar, Any of the three Castlevania titles.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tactical shooters are pretty good about making your foes at least almost as strong as you.

yalborap on
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I apparently have one of those graphics cards that is hated by Mass Effect (1). Any advice on making it crash less often?

Also, holy balls X-Com is confusing. Is there a pdf of the manual available somewhere?

Curly_Brace on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also, holy balls X-Com is confusing. Is there a pdf of the manual available somewhere?

Ask, and it shall be delivered unto you.

http://store.steampowered.com/manual/7760/

Elvenshae on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I asked in the Dragon Age thread but it seems to be fairly dead (hadn't had a post in 6 days):

On the back of the game box it says that the "free character and mission" codes expired on April 30'th.

Can anyone confirm if this is for sure? I was considering buying the game but it hasn't come down in price a lot and if it means I'd have to pay off the bat for the extras that would be lame.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a PS3 pad with the analog layout of a 360 pad?

A friend of mine has an adapter that lets him use a 360 controller with his PS3. Does that count?

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Can anyone point me to a good X3: Reunion guide?

My G&T secret santa got it for me last year but I've been having trouble wrapping my head around everything, even with the guide on the disc.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm probably the last person you would expect to suggest this, but God Hand for the Ps2 has regular enemies that can take you down fairly easily if you make a mistake or two.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Monster Hunter Tri.

The monsters can and will fuck you up until you learn their wily ways....then they can still fuck you up some more. If you like SotC you should like MH Tri.

It's apparently easier than previous MH games but I haven't played any others.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's the best way to set up being able to record gameplay from the 360 onto the PC?

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a question.

I've been playing through Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen on VC lately. I'm up to the Valley of Kastro map. I'm trying to recruit Rauny and according to everything I've seen you need your alignment bar to be between half and full. I'm about 2 thirds full or a little less and she tells me I'm on the road of evil like the Empire. I thought maybe she wouldn't join because I didn't have enough space in my reserves for her unit but that's not it either. Anything I've missed that I have to do to make her join?

What's your leader's ALI stat?

Sorry for late reply. 100, last I checked. I suppose it's possible that I fought a bunch of weaklings between the last time I checked and when I got to the town she is in but I really don't think so. Should be 100.

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I have another couple of questions.

1) If you remember the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 3, you'll also remember that there was a 2-player battle game available directly from the main menu that is otherwise known as Mario Bros. battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH06zyZAwsE

I do remember that in the original NES version of Super Mario Bros. 3, you could play this if you are playing a 2-player game and both Mario and Luigi are on the same spot on the map.

What I DON'T remember is if you could play the SNES version of that battle game (best 5 out of 9) in the NES version. Is it possible, and if so, how?

2) If anyone has hosted any Wii tournaments using games that are more likely to use the Wii Remote in some way (Mario Kart and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom as examples), what do you do to tie or tether your remotes to make sure they don't get lost?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
    edited May 2010
    Don't know about the first question, but standard practise at tourneys is that if you bring a peripheral then you label it, usually with a piece of tape and a marker, unless it already has some obvious marks. You could do the same with your own controllers if you were hosting, or just get everyone to label as normal and the ones without a label would be yours.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That final boss in Megaman Zero 3 is so much fun. I'd fight it over and over if I could. If they made a game that was entirely made of fights like that I would send them my money immediately.

Anyway, Question! I have been thinking of buying a PS3 for some time, but my TV is crap. My computer monitor, however, is decidedly not crap. What would I need to hook up a PS3 to my monitor/PC speakers? How much extra would it cost me?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • ThePrimmThePrimm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

Help!

Henry Hatwsorth and the puzzling adventure...but it is tough

ThePrimm on
    edited May 2010
    So I need to buy hardware soon, so here is what I would like to know.

PC controller that gives me the feel of a PS2 controller
    Good but cheap gaming headphones or mic

Open world games with a big city other than GTAIV and Saints Row 2 that lets me go into buildings on a regular basis. I don't care about depth or story or graphics, XCOM has me fiendish for frantic city fights. Oh BC2, just a little longer.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    So I have another couple of questions.

1) If you remember the Super Mario All-Stars version of Super Mario Bros. 3, you'll also remember that there was a 2-player battle game available directly from the main menu that is otherwise known as Mario Bros. battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH06zyZAwsE

I do remember that in the original NES version of Super Mario Bros. 3, you could play this if you are playing a 2-player game and both Mario and Luigi are on the same spot on the map.

What I DON'T remember is if you could play the SNES version of that battle game (best 5 out of 9) in the NES version. Is it possible, and if so, how?

2) If anyone has hosted any Wii tournaments using games that are more likely to use the Wii Remote in some way (Mario Kart and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom as examples), what do you do to tie or tether your remotes to make sure they don't get lost?

1. No, it's an All-Stars thing.

2. A length of stretchy bead necklace line threaded through the condom near the b button. Worked ok. Best way to do it is attentive people, or putting stickers on the battery cover of the wii mote+any other controller and have a mandatory door check.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited May 2010
    If you want a PC controller that will feel like a PS2 controller then you need look no further than your standard Dualshock 3. A little bit of googling will find you the right drivers, but keep in mind that it's much easier to set up if you plug it in directly -- but it will work with most usb accessory cables, so that shouldn't be a problem.

For gaming mics I've never had a problem with the $5-10 models I find at local shops. If I want better sound then I can switch the headphone jack for a better set of headphones and just use the mic.

Page- on
    stream
  • gauchegauche Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is an iBUYPOWER Chimera 2 worth the price?

gauche on
    Who is the greater fool? The fool, or the fool who follows him?
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    IMHO, the 2-Q and 2-F are overpriced in terms of gaming. The 2-E looks okay. I'd spend a little more to get a mobo with USB 3.0 and definitely get the 1 TB HD.

I also might downgrade from the liquid cooling if you aren't planning on overclocking.

November Fifth on
  • Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Anyway, Question! I have been thinking of buying a PS3 for some time, but my TV is crap. My computer monitor, however, is decidedly not crap. What would I need to hook up a PS3 to my monitor/PC speakers? How much extra would it cost me?

Surely you can just use a HDMI lead?

But if your monitor doesn't have a HDMI input, this is a possibility.

I don't know how well it would satisfy a videophile - I only have a budget 22" monitor. And their leads - even their 'gamer' lower priced versions - tend to be a little pricey. But mine's lasted me quite a while, and other than the tiniest bit of ghosting (barely noticeable as far as I'm concerned) it looks fine. Just a suggestion.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

They exist. How good they are is something I can't comment on. Or anything else about it, really.

But this guy can!

And so can this guy!

Thanks, gonna watch those vids now.

Mr Fuzzbutt - is that adapter just for the wired versions tho? I cant deal with cables these days :P If not, where did he get it?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited May 2010
    Probably not for you, but you can get a custom job done. A friend of mine uses pads for fighting games and has a custom made dualshock 3 with the guts of a 360 pad inside, letting him use a wireless PS3 pad on a 360 without any extra fuss. The reverse is also possible. Thing is, you have to buy both pads and then find someone to do the job. It cost him in the neighbourhood of $150, all told.

Page- on
    stream
  • ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    That final boss in Megaman Zero 3 is so much fun. I'd fight it over and over if I could. If they made a game that was entirely made of fights like that I would send them my money immediately.

If your monitor has HDMI, use that, otherwise a HDMI to DVI cable is available for as low as 4$ online. You only need to check that your monitor supports HDCP, which most monitors sold the last 5 years do.
    Then you get sound from analog or optic, depending on your sound setup. The most ghetto sound setup would plug this cable into your sound cart.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have two questions that aren't related at all.

Is there a way to save manually in GTA4? The autosave isn't frequent enough and I sometimes lose progress when I stop playing.

The Wii Speak connects through USB, right? Can it be used as a regular USB microphone with a computer?

Peewi on
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They exist. How good they are is something I can't comment on. Or anything else about it, really.

But this guy can!

And so can this guy!

Thanks, gonna watch those vids now.

Mr Fuzzbutt - is that adapter just for the wired versions tho? I cant deal with cables these days :P If not, where did he get it?

I haven't tried it with a wireless controller... do those have a USB receiver? If so, then it would probably work. He got it from play-asia.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    I have two questions that aren't related at all.

Is there a way to save manually in GTA4? The autosave isn't frequent enough and I sometimes lose progress when I stop playing.

The Wii Speak connects through USB, right? Can it be used as a regular USB microphone with a computer?

In GTA go back to your house and sleep in the bed to manually save (It'll take you to the menu to pick a slot)

Hitsuraptor on
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In Star Ocean Second Evolution, I'm stuck in the Hoffman Ruins (and currently level 96), what am I supposed to do? Which thing am I supposed to blow up? And am I too high leveled? How far am I in the game? I have no idea. I need help.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone know of some good cheap or free PC multiplayer games that you can play with 2 or more people together using Xbox pads? Preferably something like an arcade sci fi shoot m up. If you can point us to a thread or a list on a site somewhere that´s cool as well. We´ve played Trine, Shadowgrounds and that´s about it. I just found this old thread.

peterdevore on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone know of some good cheap or free PC multiplayer games that you can play with 2 or more people together using Xbox pads? Preferably something like an arcade sci fi shoot m up. If you can point us to a thread or a list on a site somewhere that´s cool as well. We´ve played Trine, Shadowgrounds and that´s about it. I just found this old thread.

TrackMania Nations is free and has local multiplayer, but it's hotseat and not simultaneous multiplayer.

Apparently the PC version of Blur has splitscreen, but it just came out, so it might not fit the cheap criteria.

Peewi on
    edited May 2010
    By shoot m up do you mean shmup or an action game that involves shooting? Because there are dozens and dozens of free shmups around and I'd assume that a few of them have local multiplayer. I'm not sure since it's nothing I've ever needed. If you're looking for something more along the lines of a Metal Slug or Gears of War then it'd be harder to find.

Page- on
    stream
  • peterdevorepeterdevore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mean shmups proper, two little ships, planes, tanks or men scrolling in side or top view shooting a bunch of aliens or whatever. The thing that shall not be named could bring it in spades but we wondered whether there was anything new and flashy in that genre.

peterdevore on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think Beat Hazard has co-op, though it might not in the Steam version.

yalborap on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm looking for an easy way to make maps of NES-era games. Specifically tile-based RPGs, such as the Dragon Warrior/Quest line. Preferably computer-based, as my desktop area is somewhat limited and the tv is already right there.

I've been using mspaint and/or the Lego Digital Designer, but this has been either slow or insufficient. Anyone have a suggestion?

Tamin on