As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The gaming related "I have a question" thread

• Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    I'm looking for an easy way to make maps of NES-era games. Specifically tile-based RPGs, such as the Dragon Warrior/Quest line. Preferably computer-based, as my desktop area is somewhat limited and the tv is already right there.

I've been using mspaint and/or the Lego Digital Designer, but this has been either slow or insufficient. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Take screenshots and use software to make panoramas to stitch them together? I can't recommend any specific software, but google should help there.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tamin wrote: »
    I'm looking for an easy way to make maps of NES-era games. Specifically tile-based RPGs, such as the Dragon Warrior/Quest line. Preferably computer-based, as my desktop area is somewhat limited and the tv is already right there.

I've been using mspaint and/or the Lego Digital Designer, but this has been either slow or insufficient. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Take screenshots and use software to make panoramas to stitch them together? I can't recommend any specific software, but google should help there.

Mm.. I've been tempted to run the NES through the computer, yes, but that seems like a lot of extra work. Were this That Which Cannot Be Discussed, I'd gladly do just as you suggest.

Maybe I'll trawl sourceforge...

Tamin on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aside from Wipeout HD & Pro Evo Soccer, does anyone know of any games that have had adverts patched in.

As in, they were sold at full price, without adverts, and then the publisher patched in adverts. Not just games with adverts in them from day one which get updated.

LewieP on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LewieP wrote: »
    Aside from Wipeout HD & Pro Evo Soccer, does anyone know of any games that have had adverts patched in.

As in, they were sold at full price, without adverts, and then the publisher patched in adverts. Not just games with adverts in them from day one which get updated.

I think at some point, special versions of Ubisoft games with ads were given away for free. The only specific one I remember is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I didn't try it myself, so I don't know how the ads were implemented.

Peewi on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aye, that was Far Cry and POP I think.

Although that wasn't quite the same, they weren't patched in to the paid versions, they were, as you say, given away for free as a temporary promotion.

LewieP on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    LewieP wrote: »

I think at some point, special versions of Ubisoft games with ads were given away for free. The only specific one I remember is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I didn't try it myself, so I don't know how the ads were implemented.
    Far Cry had an ad-supported version, too. I believe they were on the loading screens.

edit: Lewie!

edit2: Counter-Strike had retroactive ads placed randomly around some of the maps.

Monger on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Arguably Quake Live. It's Quake 3 at the core, but they spent half the closed beta reworking all the maps to put ad space in them.

Enemy Territories: Quake Wars as well, but I can't remember if it shipped with ads.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This seems as good a place as any to ask. I bought a charge and play kit for my 360 that's been hardly used. However, it now seems to not want to charge. The cable provides power, but the controller will not turn on with the cable unplugged. When the cable is inserted or removed, the light flashes briefly then goes out. Anybody else experienced this? Is it a problem with the cable/battery pack or the 360. Is it possible I could get it replaced if it's the charging kit? The 360 was given to me by a friend after he got sick of sending it back to get fixed for Red Rings (4 times).

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a pair of headphones with a mic I use with my PC games. Is there a way to hook this up to the XBOX 360? Some sort of adapter?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This seems as good a place as any to ask. I bought a charge and play kit for my 360 that's been hardly used. However, it now seems to not want to charge. The cable provides power, but the controller will not turn on with the cable unplugged. When the cable is inserted or removed, the light flashes briefly then goes out. Anybody else experienced this? Is it a problem with the cable/battery pack or the 360. Is it possible I could get it replaced if it's the charging kit? The 360 was given to me by a friend after he got sick of sending it back to get fixed for Red Rings (4 times).

Make sure the system is on when you plug it in and fiddle with it a bit. Try plugging it out and back into both the controlller and console as well.

If not...you have an expensive wired controller, congrats.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    How long does MGS2 take to play through?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I had similar problems with my charging kit. The wires were busted in it. Still haven't gotten it replaced, honestly, and don't know if you could get it done for free.

Satanic Jesus: My first playthrough was listed at around 16 hours, I think, but that was without hunting anything down, and might not count cutscenes, so I'd guess around 20-30 hours, assuming you don't try to get a complete set of dogtags or anything.

yalborap on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I have a pair of headphones with a mic I use with my PC games. Is there a way to hook this up to the XBOX 360? Some sort of adapter?

You can use the headphones themselves; just get a male to male 3.5mm adapter and plug the 360 phono leads into the phono>3.5 adapter then your phones onto the other end, but there is no way to use them with the mic as a headset.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    StopAndSwishStopAndSwish Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ok fellas, i've got an Xbox360, and i wanna play online. Trouble is, my TV is too far away from my router, and i would prefer not to get the wireless network adapter.

So my next best solution is to shift it to my room, which would mean connecting it to my PC monitor. How would i go about doing this? HDMI-to-DVI cables? How might the sound be connected up to my speakers?

Thanks in advance for any help :D

StopAndSwish on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ok fellas, i've got an Xbox360, and i wanna play online. Trouble is, my TV is too far away from my router, and i would prefer not to get the wireless network adapter.

So my next best solution is to shift it to my room, which would mean connecting it to my PC monitor. How would i go about doing this? HDMI-to-DVI cables? How might the sound be connected up to my speakers?

Easy, get one of these.

Gives you a couple of options for speakers too, phono or 3.5mm.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Easy, get one of these.

Gives you a couple of options for speakers too, phono or 3.5mm.

I have a set of those and couldn't get the 360 to output in anything other than standard def despite it saying it could do better. Being able to hook it up to my Z-5500's made for some good times at college, though.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Huh, mines attached to my monitor in 1080i just fine.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay everyone, I gotta know. Which is better and why?

NHLHitz2002.jpegVS. Hitz.jpg (but for Gamecube)

And then compare the "better' with
    Wayne_Gretzky%27s_3D_Hockey_for_N64%2C_Front_Cover.jpg

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd love to help you, but my favorite hocket vidja game is still Blades of Steel. I haven't really played any since then, for some reason. I probably should. :(

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I'd love to help you, but my favorite hocket vidja game is still Blades of Steel. I haven't really played any since then, for some reason. I probably should. :(

There's nothing wrong with Blades of Steel. I got that the day it went up on Virtual Console. :mrgreen:

Quoted the question for a new page.
    BTP wrote: »
    Okay everyone, I gotta know. Which is better and why?

NHLHitz2002.jpegVS. Hitz.jpg (but for Gamecube)

And then compare the "better' with
    Wayne_Gretzky%27s_3D_Hockey_for_N64%2C_Front_Cover.jpg

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Depends on what you want.

Gretzky's was an arcade port and I'm basing my experience with the game on the arcade version. You've got your 3 buttons, it's 3v3, goalies are nearly worthless, there are secret codes for big heads and secret teams and plenty of AI assistance to keep the quarters coming.

I played Hitz 2k2 on the GCN. Much like the Blitz series when it made the jump to consoles, it's a far cry from the arcade. It's 3v3, not 2v2, and the rinks are marginally bigger. The biggest changes were to the controls, which were somewhat more complicated, and to the goalies, which were actually capable of defending the net. Unlike the Hitz games from the arcade, or even Gretzky's, you could be fairly certain that goalies would make the majority of saves. But, since it's a console game, it has more console extras like a league mode and some sort of unlockables, though I can't remember what.

Never played 2k3.

In a nut shell: Gretzky's is the pure arcade experience, Hitz is trapped in the grey area between arcade style Midway classic and a more sim-ish console style.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I see. I'm just curious because I noticed an EBGames near me had both of these games. 2002 is going to $10. 2003 is going for $2. Naturally, this leaves with a "WTF?" on my face and I wondered why something like that would happen. Any sports series, the older it is, the cheaper it should be. And since this isn't, I really wonder why that is.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    hitz 2002 with big hitz mode on was the closest thing to gretzky hockey 64

delphinus on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a question.

My 360 games library loads slow. Like, (whatever the kids are using for "really") slow. Nothing else, as far as I can tell. The internets are clouded and uncertain about it. Is there some sort of 360 defrag I should be doing for this?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    143999 wrote: »
    I have a question.

My 360 games library loads slow. Like, (whatever the kids are using for "really") slow. Nothing else, as far as I can tell. The internets are clouded and uncertain about it. Is there some sort of 360 defrag I should be doing for this?

Clear the cache. Other than that, there's really nothing. My dash is slow too, especially the Friends section. It's just not very well optimized or something.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have a question, so I'm posting here.

How exactly does the license transfer dealie on the 360 work? I get it, in theory, but do you have to have your old serial number and new serial number to make this transfer? Do you have to redownload things? I have a feeling my 360 is beginning its decline into RROD territory and that new slim looks pretty appealing. I have a HDD transfer cable so that's not a concern.

Ceno on
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Question about GTAIV and a graphics problem on the 360...

Just started playing GTAIV after a 6 or 7 month period and the graphics rendered seem distractingly off and fuzzy, like it is a render problem just for this game. My question is; has it always been this fuzzy on the 360 or is it my copy/my 360 & cables, tv etc.?
    Been playing other games and haven't had a similiar issue however. So it might just be how the game always looks, right?

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

You can use the headphones themselves; just get a male to male 3.5mm adapter and plug the 360 phono leads into the phono>3.5 adapter then your phones onto the other end, but there is no way to use them with the mic as a headset.

o_O

Why's Microsoft gotta make things difficult?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Mister_PenguinMister_Penguin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, I picked up Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Unfortunately, there was no manual - is there anything essential in it?

Mister_Penguin on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, I picked up Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Unfortunately, there was no manual - is there anything essential in it?

Narp.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2010

o_O

Why's Microsoft gotta make things difficult?

Actually, there SHOULD be a way. If memory serves, the central plug on the 360 controller's mic port is just a cellphone headset jack, and cellphone headsets work(though without mic-muting or volume control). So all you need is a plug to convert to that.

EDIT: A question of my own.

I'm considering getting Samurai Warriors 2 for the 360. However, my research has dug up that there is SW2, SW2: Empires, and an expansion pack, SW2:Xtreme Legends.

So...Which do I want? Does SW2:XL include all the Empires content, so I need the original? Is SW2:XL compatible with SW2:Empires, so I need that? Or must I choose WHICH batch of additional content I want at any one time?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Ceno wrote: »
    I have a question, so I'm posting here.

How exactly does the license transfer dealie on the 360 work? I get it, in theory, but do you have to have your old serial number and new serial number to make this transfer? Do you have to redownload things? I have a feeling my 360 is beginning its decline into RROD territory and that new slim looks pretty appealing. I have a HDD transfer cable so that's not a concern.

There's two kinds that I know of: The cable-based transfer(which I think copies everything straight through), and the license reset(which requires downloading everything again). I think the first is a one-shot deal per copied-from hard drive, and the latter is possible yearly.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Another question.

Wikipedia is saying the Gamecube controller can be used for all Virtual Console games except for some Turbo-Grafx 16 games.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Console#Control

The question should be obvious: Which Turbo-Grafx 16 games don't use the Gamecube controller?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    ApollohApolloh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Heres a question, is it just me or have recent city building games, apart from a select few, have all been really bad? And are there any new ones on the horizon?

I miss games like Pharaoh.

Apolloh on
    smb3banner.png
    XBLGT:Banzeye SC2: Apollo.394
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are there any differences between the PSP and the DS verisons of Metal Slug 7 that would swag the purchase one way or another? I haven't found a review for the PSP verison that has read like a copy paste article.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I want a PS3 and SSFIV.

Will there still be people playing SSFIV in a couple of years?

And is getting a hori stick worth it and will it help me understand the controls?

Has Konami said anything about supporting VC? I really want RKA and Sparkster for the VC!

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    In a couple of years the online scene will be smaller, and probably less dedicated, but there will still be players. You best bet for continued play is local competition and tourneys, which will go on well past the time everyone else has moved on.

That is of course depending on whether Capcom just releases a newer version of the game in a couple years, which is very likely. If you want to KEEP playing SSF4 after the new version is out then you'd better hope the new one isn't well loved.

For comparison, there was still a strong playerbase for Dead or Alive 4 online years after its release. Not the best example since it was the only fighting game with online play at the time. Virtua Fighter 5 Online still has players, though getting a game close enough to you for it to be playable is difficult. Soul Calibur 4 is over 2 years old and doesn't even have stellar netcode, but it's still possible to find people to play with at most times of the day or night.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have a question.

I'm looking for suggestions for co-op games from the Wii Shop Channel that would work well when using arcade sticks. The only thing I can think of is River City Ransom. There's got to be more.

Any other games, co-op or not, and not in the fighting genre would also be appreciated.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a question.

I'm looking for suggestions for co-op games from the Wii Shop Channel that would work well when using arcade sticks. The only thing I can think of is River City Ransom. There's got to be more.

Any other games, co-op or not, and not in the fighting genre would also be appreciated.

I'd add in Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES), as well as any of the nearly identical NEOGEO arcade games. Cheap deaths are usually annoying, but with a joystick it's "authentic."

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have a question.

There are all the final fights, Double Dragon, Mercs, Metal Slug, Renegade, all the Golden Axes, all the Contras... probably some others, maybe some of the side scrolling shooters had co-op?

Alkey42 on