As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The gaming related "I have a question" thread

• Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Alkey42 wrote: »
    BTP wrote: »
    I have a question.

I'm looking for suggestions for co-op games from the Wii Shop Channel that would work well when using arcade sticks. The only thing I can think of is River City Ransom. There's got to be more.

Any other games, co-op or not, and not in the fighting genre would also be appreciated.

There are all the final fights, Double Dragon, Mercs, Metal Slug, Renegade, all the Golden Axes, all the Contras... probably some others, maybe some of the side scrolling shooters had co-op?

Well.....

gfs_85052_1_1.jpg

I have no idea if this co-op or alternating 2-player though.

Edit: Whoops! Sorry.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wait... Did they release Contra 1 for the NES on the Virtual Console?

urahonky on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've got a couple of questions here.

1. The recommendation for R-Type 3 above has sent me on a big old nostalgia trip, and I remember playing one in an arcade where instead of having a Force module, you had two Force bits that upgraded as you picked up weapons. What was it called and did it ever have a console release?

2. Back in the day I was a bit of a Sony fanboy and avoided the Halo series likew the plague. Now I've grown up a bit, I'm feeling the need to go back and play them. Do the first two play on the 360, and are they worth it purely for the single player campaigns?

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    Wait... Did they release Contra 1 for the NES on the Virtual Console?

Sadly, no :(. I really wish they would, though. Only Super C and Contra III are on there. WiiWare has a new Contra in the style of 1-4 called Contra: ReBirth. It looks solid and I've heard it's great, but I haven't checked it out personally.

1. The recommendation for R-Type 3 above has sent me on a big old nostalgia trip, and I remember playing one in an arcade where instead of having a Force module, you had two Force bits that upgraded as you picked up weapons. What was it called and did it ever have a console release?

2. Back in the day I was a bit of a Sony fanboy and avoided the Halo series likew the plague. Now I've grown up a bit, I'm feeling the need to go back and play them. Do the first two play on the 360, and are they worth it purely for the single player campaigns?

Don't know anything about 1. Regarding 2: both work on the 360, but I think have some issues. Halo: CE is also available on the Xbox Originals service. I thought the second was available as well, but it's not showing up on the XBL Marketplace website for me. I haven't played the second one at all, but I enjoyed the campaign of the first when I played the PC port (never touched it on the oXbox). Don't expect the same impact for your first time with it to be similar to the effect it had on people back when it was released. That said, if you can find it cheap I'd suggest checking it out. There are worse games to spend your time and money on.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

They do, and are pretty solid overall. You ought to be able to get them relatively cheap online.

yalborap on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Regarding the 360/PS3 and HD rendering: what resolution are games typically rendered at? I seem to remember reading something about them being rendered at 720p, but upscaled to 1080p when displayed (although it varied depending on the game). Is that right?

Also, what's the reason if that's the way it's done? Performance?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Question for you Wii owners with HD TVs.

I have a Wii with the additional component cables hooked up to my Sharp HDTV. The Wii is set to widescreen and resolution to 480p.

Now, when I try to play my Breath of Fire 2 game my TV goes black and displays a box with the text "Unsupported Mode". When I click the wii-mote HOME button this goes away and I get the usual (Menu)(Reset) prompt with the game greyed out in the background. Pressing HOME again returns the game back to "Unsupported Mode" while clicking the (Menu) option returns the Wii to the menu without anything else happening.

This is the only SNES game I have on my Wii but I have played Paper Mario (N64) and the 3 original mario games (NES) on this set up without problems. Any idea what's up?

Sipex on
  • Options
    D00MD00M Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    I have a question, so I'm posting here.

How exactly does the license transfer dealie on the 360 work? I get it, in theory, but do you have to have your old serial number and new serial number to make this transfer? Do you have to redownload things? I have a feeling my 360 is beginning its decline into RROD territory and that new slim looks pretty appealing. I have a HDD transfer cable so that's not a concern.

There's two kinds that I know of: The cable-based transfer(which I think copies everything straight through), and the license reset(which requires downloading everything again). I think the first is a one-shot deal per copied-from hard drive, and the latter is possible yearly.

Even if you use the transfer cable, you'll still have to move licences using the tool on xbox.com. without them other profiles won't be able to play them (they become trial games) and you wont either unless you're online. and yeah it is a yearly thing with the licence tool, although I've rang up support and raged at them till they did it for me.

D00M on
    D00M66.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Question for you Wii owners with HD TVs.

I have a Wii with the additional component cables hooked up to my Sharp HDTV. The Wii is set to widescreen and resolution to 480p.

Now, when I try to play my Breath of Fire 2 game my TV goes black and displays a box with the text "Unsupported Mode". When I click the wii-mote HOME button this goes away and I get the usual (Menu)(Reset) prompt with the game greyed out in the background. Pressing HOME again returns the game back to "Unsupported Mode" while clicking the (Menu) option returns the Wii to the menu without anything else happening.

This is the only SNES game I have on my Wii but I have played Paper Mario (N64) and the 3 original mario games (NES) on this set up without problems. Any idea what's up?

Even though you said it's an SNES game, this is the first thing I thought of.
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/pictureSound.jsp#neogeo
    Display problems while playing Virtual Console games

If you are experiencing display issues (dim, blank or half-blank screen, ghosted image, etc.) with a Virtual Console game while using the Component Video Cable, please read the following:

Some Virtual Console games default to displaying 240 lines of video. Some HD TV's are unable to display a signal with only 240 lines. Try the steps below to set the Wii to output 480 lines of video, which may solve the problem:

1. While on the Wii Channel Menu (main screen of the Wii), connect a Nunchuk to Wii Remote.
    2. Select the Virtual Console game from the Wii menu, then select "Start" to begin the game.
    3. When the game starts, press the Home button on the Wii Remote. (In many games, the music can be heard when the game starts.)
    4. Select "Operations Manual" from the Home menu.
    5. Press the Z + A + 2 Button simultaneously (the Z Button is on the Nunchuk). A sound will be heard if the button combination has been entered correctly.
    6. Close the Home menu. The game should now display correctly. Note: You will not have to do this the next time you play, as the Wii console will remember these settings.

If the Virtual Console game is still not displaying properly, but all other games work fine, please call 1-800-255-3700 so that we may assist you further.

Alternatively, try setting the Wii to 480i, or bring out the composite cable for the next time you want to play that game, and see if that fixes it.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Wow, thanks a lot!

Sipex on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Regarding the 360/PS3 and HD rendering: what resolution are games typically rendered at? I seem to remember reading something about them being rendered at 720p, but upscaled to 1080p when displayed (although it varied depending on the game). Is that right?

Also, what's the reason if that's the way it's done? Performance?

It varies for different games and platforms, but 720p is standard IIRC. However, a lot of popular games don't even reach that level. Games like Gears of War, Halo, Modern Warfare, they all actually fall quite a bit short of the minimum resolution to be called HD (720p).

As you say, it's a performance issue. In order to have things run smoothly, they cut down on the resolution.

subedii on
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looks like Spore is on sale on Impulse for $15. I passed on this game the first time around because of securom but I totaly bought into the hype. Does the Impulse version still have securom?

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    ystaelystael Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

R-Type Leo, and no, I don't think it did.

ystael on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looks like Spore is on sale on Impulse for $15. I passed on this game the first time around because of securom but I totaly bought into the hype. Does the Impulse version still have securom?

The game is garbage, you can pass on it. All the hype for the game, all the awesome things they showed never made it into the game.

Biggest regret of my gaming life.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Well I understood it was disappointing, but I thought if anything my 4 year old would enjoy the creature creator and running around. And it would sate my curiosity. Maybe I will just wait for it to be $5 with no DRM.

Alkey42 on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm currently replaying Star Ocean First Departure. The first time I played it, the optional chgaracters I went with were Cyuss, Phia and Welch. The second time I played it, I went with Ashley, Erys, Ioshua and Pericci. I'm currently wanting to replay it for a third time, but I don't know who to recruit. Any suggestions?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Question! Where the hell do you get demos of PC games? Steam doesn't have a great many nor the one in particular I'm after (Pro evo). I know it is available and gamespot have it but fuck those guys and their subscription.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Question! Where the hell do you get demos of PC games? Steam doesn't have a great many nor the one in particular I'm after (Pro evo). I know it is available and gamespot have it but fuck those guys and their subscription.

http://www.fileshack.com/

That's a site I used to use forever ago. Not sure if it's any good now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So I have another question or two.

Do or can controller extension cables cause input lag? More specifically, "noticeable" input lag?

And did anyone in Europe pick up Trackmania Wii? Does that game support Gamecube controllers? It doesn't come out for another month in NA, but it's been out in EU since September, and I still can't find this out.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And did anyone in Europe pick up Trackmania Wii? Does that game support Gamecube controllers? It doesn't come out for another month in NA, but it's been out in EU since September, and I still can't find this out.

Searching tells me it can't support the Gamecube controller, but it can support all the others that Mario Kart Wii can do.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Monster Hunter doesn't use em.

You have got to be kidding me! Why would the Classic Controller be redesigned then? Did everyone need grips that badly, or the wider separation of the analog sticks, or the removal of the analog parts in L and R?

Wow, that is so weird.

So there still really isn't a game out there that needs all 8 buttons on the Classic Controller (excluding Brawl)? That is nuts.
    Actually, Tri does use them, underwater. They're dodge up and dodge down, respectively.

There's also a control setting which uses them as rise and surface instead of doing that with the camera's angle, but it's pretty hard to aim properly that way.

I honestly just wish they had let them be the exclusive center camera and run buttons as on PS2, freeing up the others to be select item and block/special action exclusively.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I want a PS3 and SSFIV.

Will there still be people playing SSFIV in a couple of years?

And is getting a hori stick worth it and will it help me understand the controls?

Has Konami said anything about supporting VC? I really want RKA and Sparkster for the VC!

lol at me answering a super old question but w/e

people will continue to play whatever the latest iteration of street fighter is
    hopefully that will be SSF4+dlc updates

i suggest getting a SE joystick and if you feel like this is something you'll stick with, upgrade the buttons and joystick to sanwa quality. hori sticks are a bitch and a half to upgrade the parts. it's best to get accustomed to the 6 button layout since with a stick, it's universal to both consoles (and it's the way the game is intended to be played)

Sillender on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wouldnt take any chances. I bought it near launch and it had a used code in the case. Tried to contact customer support and got the worst runaround that literarally lasted a month. The finally told me I had to take it back to the store but by then I had lost the recipt.

And this is why I dont bother with EA games anymore.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've heard there are problems with the Wii and the 1019 (Gamecube) memory cards. How serious are the problems? Does the Wii just have trouble reading/saving to them, or are the carts actually erased?

Also, the 59 and 251 are perfectly okay?

So, what's the deal with this problem anyway? It's really random.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    1019 cards aren't really the most stable things.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Question!
    CO-OP games where you can play the campaign along with four or more friends, like Killing Floor, Left 4 dead or Operation Flashpoint?

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

<Insert old P-A comic here>

Diablo 2, DOOM, DOOM II are my go to answers. Your computers can run them. They are long. They are fun.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Titan Quest.

And it's on sale now!

Halo: Reach if you want an FPS.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I recently found a 4GB SDHC card at Big Lots for $12. Picked it up for my Wii only after making sure the officially supported ones were the same thing but white - and they were, same brand and same capacity. I got Paper Mario onto it and it plays just fine.

...except Animal Crossing: City Folk refuses to save snapshots onto it. Is there anything else I can do besides shell out another $20-something for the Nintendo Seal of Approval? (Not that I have a problem with that, just this was kind of a bummer.)

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ianator wrote: »
    I recently found a 4GB SDHC card at Big Lots for $12. Picked it up for my Wii only after making sure the officially supported ones were the same thing but white - and they were, same brand and same capacity. I got Paper Mario onto it and it plays just fine.

...except Animal Crossing: City Folk refuses to save snapshots onto it. Is there anything else I can do besides shell out another $20-something for the Nintendo Seal of Approval? (Not that I have a problem with that, just this was kind of a bummer.)

The problem isn't the lack of Nintendo Seal of Approval. It's your SD card being HC. AC:CF was released before the Wii's firmware upgrade that allowed things to be run from the SD Card Menu, which was the same time SDHC card support happened. Therefore, the game can only support what the Wii supported at the time of its release: normal SD cards.

I think the same problem happened with Excite Truck and its ability for a custom soundtrack from the music on an SD card. It doesn't work with SDHC cards.

Just get yourself any standard SD card, and you should be good to go.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    1019 cards aren't really the most stable things.

Could you elaborate at all?

There's a big difference, for instance, between "sometimes doesn't recognize the card" and "sometimes deletes everything from the card."

I need to know whether it's worth risking or not.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Mainly the sometimes does not recognize the card.

I've heard some horror stories about specific (shitty titles and import games) that do not do well with the 1019...at all.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    NicolasgbNicolasgb Registered User new member
    edited December 2010
    I have a question!
    Is it possible to transfer a save of a north-american version of an xbox360 game (Resonance of Fate) onto an European xbox360, and keep on playing the game if I buy a PAL version of Resonance of Fate?
    Sounds like a pretty strange question but my xbox360 broke while I lived outside of Europe, and now that I'm back in Europe I bought a PAL 360 and would hate to have to start RoF all over again.

Nicolasgb on
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are there any good DS rpgs that don't make heavy use of the shoulder buttons? Mine are wonky and even though i can get them to cooperate some of the time I would rather not worry about the whole thing. For example I am annoyed that I have a hard time switching between characters in Tactics A2 but don't really care about changing maps in Etrian Odyssey

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are there any good DS rpgs that don't make heavy use of the shoulder buttons? Mine are wonky and even though i can get them to cooperate some of the time I would rather not worry about the whole thing. For example I am annoyed that I have a hard time switching between characters in Tactics A2 but don't really care about changing maps in Etrian Odyssey
    Glory of Heracles lets you use the touchscreen for pretty much everything, and even if you use the buttons, you don't need the shoulder buttons much. The battle system is turn-based, so you don't require quick reactions when it comes to controls anyway.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

Golden Sun. Yawner story but fairly fun combat and really ingenious dungeons/puzzles. You can set spells to shortcuts on L and R but there are on-screen fields for those as well.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    edited December 2010

There is a trick involving (and I shit you not) sucking and blowing on them to fix the shoulder buttons permanently.

Compressed air if you're too good for a little suck and blow.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

There is a trick involving (and I shit you not) sucking and blowing on them to fix the shoulder buttons permanently.

Compressed air if you're too good for a little suck and blow.

... Is there a more detailed description of this trick somewhere? Perhaps a video?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is Silent Storm available anywhere for digital download? Is it any good? I've gotten into XCom recently, and the thought of a WW2 style XCom sounds great.

Death Cab For Albie on
    ...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is Silent Storm available anywhere for digital download? Is it any good? I've gotten into XCom recently, and the thought of a WW2 style XCom sounds great.

It's pretty good, but the story's retarded. I think mods can make things much more fun. As for Digital Distribution, I dunno.

TychoCelchuuu on