As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The gaming related "I have a question" thread

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah, no it's a PC program.

There are third party headsets that you can get and I've heard the official wireless one is better but I couldn't say with any confidence which to suggest, only used the standard one myself.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I grew up playing them. I got PSII and III when they first came out, so I replay it out of nostalgia and fondness for my childhood these days. That said, I don't think the interface is that bad. There are a few things that are clunky compared to contemporary JRPGs, but I don't think there's anything impossible to deal with.

I beat PSII last year for the first time. Really, really gratifying, since I've started it at least five times. I did use a guide to make those longer, teleporter-filled dungeons bearable, though. That ending completely took me by surprise.

Maybe this year I'll try to conquer PSIII.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    In my personal experience, the garbled Mic means you either have bad router settings or the person talking to you does.

One other thing is that some mics just don't like some controllers. I have one headset that will be nothing but static when plugged into my black controller but not my other two.

I love D-Pads and I love 2D games.
    xbox-360-wireless-d-pad-005_medium.jpg

Has anyone actually used this controller? I wanna know if the new D-Pad actually makes a difference or of its just a cool gimmick that does nothing.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tikhon wrote: »
    In my personal experience, the garbled Mic means you either have bad router settings or the person talking to you does.

One other thing is that some mics just don't like some controllers. I have one headset that will be nothing but static when plugged into my black controller but not my other two.

It's not the headset because it sounds the same whether it's through the TV or the headset. Is there anywhere that shows what router settings I should have? It HAS to be mine because everyone sounds the same.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It's not the headset because it sounds the same whether it's through the TV or the headset. Is there anywhere that shows what router settings I should have? It HAS to be mine because everyone sounds the same.

You could try running an Xbox Live connection test. If you have a strict NAT, that will usually tell you.

I think its System Settings -> Network -> Xbox Live Test

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You could try running an Xbox Live connection test. If you have a strict NAT, that will usually tell you.

I will endeavor to do that precise activity. Thankee!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone actually used this controller? I wanna know if the new D-Pad actually makes a difference or of its just a cool gimmick that does nothing.

I got one for Xmas and it's now the only controller I use.

I leave it in the rescinded position at all times though. I'm not sure if it really is better, or if it's just the power of suggestion.

I will say that when I'm playing a game that uses the D-pad as a secondary set of buttons, I've hit the wrong button on accident a lot less than I used to.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I grew up playing them. I got PSII and III when they first came out, so I replay it out of nostalgia and fondness for my childhood these days. That said, I don't think the interface is that bad. There are a few things that are clunky compared to contemporary JRPGs, but I don't think there's anything impossible to deal with.

I beat PSII last year for the first time. Really, really gratifying, since I've started it at least five times. I did use a guide to make those longer, teleporter-filled dungeons bearable, though. That ending completely took me by surprise.

Maybe this year I'll try to conquer PSIII.

PSII definitely has one of the best endings ever given the limitations of the hardware and given that it came out in 89.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Well, I tried this and nothing happened. It just connected. No message or anything.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Well, I tried this and nothing happened. It just connected. No message or anything.

Well, that sucks. I'm out of ideas. I've been looking at Xbox.com's support pages and pretty much everything is geared towards the wireless headset or the Kinect. Maybe someone else here will know.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I love D-Pads and I love 2D games.
    xbox-360-wireless-d-pad-005_medium.jpg

That pad is the sex! How long has that been out?

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seanron wrote: »

It came out sometime in November but I never actually saw it until January. Its only available in the charge kit though.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seanron wrote: »

It came out sometime in November but I never actually saw it until January. Its only available in the charge kit though.

Just read it's coming to the UK in limited numbers this March, defo getting one or two of them. The only thing I dislike about me old xbox is the moulded D-Pad, so this looks to solve that problem entirely :D

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How to describe this.... rather than play the assassin or the brutal soldier, you play their wife at home... I guess I'm asking if there are games like this that let you play another angle to the traditional story, sort of like Reccettear.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How to describe this.... rather than play the assassin or the brutal soldier, you play their wife at home... I guess I'm asking if there are games like this that let you play another angle to the traditional story, sort of like Reccettear.
    I don't know if this game really deserves a recommendation, but...

How about Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit? You alternate between playing as the guy trying to get away from the police and figure stuff out, and the police trying to catch the guy.

The story gets really batshit crazy in the last act, so it's not really traditional in any sense of the word. But I thought I'd toss it out there.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm glad I noticed this thread, since I'm not sure where to ask this. I didn't want to create a new thread for this, but I wanted to get opinions. Maybe the backlog thread would be better? Anyway, here goes.

So I am drowning in a glut of (mostly great) games. I have bought a lot of these at crazy prices with Amazon GCs and such, thinking that I couldn't pass up the prices, but now I am paralyzed by the sheer number of options left to me. I will try to kind of rank the order of when I am thinking of playing them, and maybe a little commentary. Just looking for thoughts from the illustrious PA forum crew. I have recently finished RDR and AC:Bro (still play that online quite a bit). I have an XBox 360, but I generally play on PS3, because it is what I got first, online play is free, and all of my friends and family have PS3s.

1. Uncharted 2. I have had this for quite a while. I bought it with Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time during a Toys R Us sale. I loved the first one, but I am thinking it may be difficult to go back to manual aiming after RDR. Also, my dad may have the GotY edition that I can borrow. Isn't that all multiplayer content?
    2. Darksiders. Man, I have been waiting for this to be a decent price for a very long time. It was like $15 on Amazon a couple weeks ago, so I jumped on it.
    3. Batman: Arkham Asylum. I borrowed this from a friend a while back, started playing it, and quit for some reason. I really liked it, and it was universally acclaimed. Every time it goes on sale in Steam, I remember that I should probably play it and return it back to my friend.
    4. Little Big Planet. My dad got this with his PS3 and it's not really his cup of tea. He basically gave this to me.
    5. Demon's Souls. Again, great price on Amazon, and I kind of bought it on a whim. I'm getting too old for frustratingly difficult games, but the thread for that game has some strong recommendations.
    6. 3D Dot Game Heroes. Good price, good reviews for hearkening back to the Zelda and Dragon Warrior days of my youth.
    7. Bayonetta. It was $20 at Walmart the other day, and I had some cash. I have a feeling I will get frustrated with the difficulty, since I was never very good at the DMC games that I tried.
    8. Saints Row 2. Best Buy sent me a $20 Reward Zone certificate out of the blue, and this was $19.99, and there was nothing else I really wanted.
    9. Mirror's Edge. $15 at Walmart the other day. I know it was flawed, but that seems like an appropriate price.
    10. Brutal Legend. This game may have really disappointed some people, but it was $5 used at Best Buy, and it came in pristine condition. I had to spend a penny more on the aforementioned RZ cert, and I figured $5 was basically a steal for any PS3 game that isn't a very old version of Madden.

And then there is Katamari Forever, which I use as a break from more intense gaming sessions.

This list doesn't even include the bounty of deals (and gifts from classy gents) from the Steam sale, but those are in a different class of gaming situations.

So, thoughts? I have a feeling some of you will want to push Bayonetta up, but I can't see myself getting to it before U2 or Darksiders.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Uncharted 2 can be beaten over a weekend, go do it.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I don't know if this game really deserves a recommendation, but...

How about Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit? You alternate between playing as the guy trying to get away from the police and figure stuff out, and the police trying to catch the guy.

The story gets really batshit crazy in the last act, so it's not really traditional in any sense of the word. But I thought I'd toss it out there.

Owned it, beat it, freaked out by the sex. Enjoyed it. Thats kind of what I'm talking about games taking you out of the standard hero roles, stubbs the zombie was another nice one and I'm kind of in the middle of Overlord. Still, I want more..

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's the Wii-ware Crystal Chronicles, which puts you in charge of a city that sends out adventurers.

jothki on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Uncharted 2 can be beaten over a weekend, go do it.

We are having dinner with my parents tomorrow night, so I am going to see if my dad has the GotY edition and trade him if he does. I don't know how much I will play online, but it seems like a more interesting MP system, so the extras might be nice to have.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That was My Life as a King, jothki. Unless the Crystal Chronicles does the same thing.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If you play Uncharted 2, put it on the easiest setting first so you can get through it without all the bullshit, then play the harder ones with the unlimited ammo cheat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    That was My Life as a King, jothki. Unless the Crystal Chronicles does the same thing.

It doesn't. That's what he means, MLAAK.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh, I should've noticed this thread earlier. I just started a new Wind Waker playthrough. I never got everything here (Heart Pieces, Charts, what have you). I just beat the Forbidden Woods and I was wondering. How many Heart Pieces am I able to acquire before I get the Master Sword? Bottles? Wallet Upgrades?

EDIT: I'm not trying to get a 100% run this time. But I would really love to get more Heart Containers and all the Bottles.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    If you play Uncharted 2, put it on the easiest setting first so you can get through it without all the bullshit, then play the harder ones with the unlimited ammo cheat.

Yeah, I kind of stalled on my second playthrough of the first one on hard (after beating it on normal) even with the cheats I had enabled at that point. I sure do like trophies, but do I want to play through the game 3+ times? Does 2 let you use cheats on Crushing difficulty?

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just got Freedom Force from Steam, plus the "squared" mod for a bunch of new attributes and powers added to the game. Is there a giant skin pack I can just unzip into the game directories still out there somewhere? I see a bunch of individual skins and I don't really want to take the time to do a lot of browsing through them.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just got Freedom Force from Steam, plus the "squared" mod for a bunch of new attributes and powers added to the game. Is there a giant skin pack I can just unzip into the game directories still out there somewhere? I see a bunch of individual skins and I don't really want to take the time to do a lot of browsing through them.

ANSWER THIS MAN's QUESTION!

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Yeah, I kind of stalled on my second playthrough of the first one on hard (after beating it on normal) even with the cheats I had enabled at that point. I sure do like trophies, but do I want to play through the game 3+ times? Does 2 let you use cheats on Crushing difficulty?

I'm not sure, to be honest. I basically went through the game on Normal, then on Easy to get the treasures, and stopped there. I have no intention of playing it online, and I'm sure I'll just get pissed off if I play it on Crushing difficulty.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ok, I have a problem. Or rather, my friend does.

She has a 360 but no internet connection. She has some DLC for various games she gets at my house but every so often the 360 refuses to recognize them anymore; saying stuff like Save Game Corrupted or some such nonsense until she puts the game in while connected to Live and then the game will patch AGAIN. It's particularly bad with Force Unleashed and Dragon Age.

Anyone know what's causing this or how to stop it?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you put a different hdd into a 360, or a hdd with different stuff, it will act like that. Happens all the time when people get red ringed and send for a new 360, but keep the old hdd; when they get it, half the stuff they downloaded won't work until it's been authenticated properly. I know with mine it wouldn't play certain dvds without being signed in.

Nothing to really do except get it online and patch again, unless you get one of those transfer things. Maybe next time she wants to get some dlc at your place she could bring the whole machine, not just the hdd.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, charging stuff! If I notice my DS or iPad or whatever is really low on batteries right before I go to bed, is there any hard in plugging it in and leaving it charging well past the "full" threshold as I sleep? I'm not too worried about batteries exploding or anything, but does that count against the battery's "number of charges before replacement" or anything?

Darlan on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think so, at least on the DS. I notice the charging light turns off when the DS battery is full, even if it's still plugged in. It turns back on if you start draining the battery.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    If you put a different hdd into a 360, or a hdd with different stuff, it will act like that. Happens all the time when people get red ringed and send for a new 360, but keep the old hdd; when they get it, half the stuff they downloaded won't work until it's been authenticated properly. I know with mine it wouldn't play certain dvds without being signed in.

Nothing to really do except get it online and patch again, unless you get one of those transfer things. Maybe next time she wants to get some dlc at your place she could bring the whole machine, not just the hdd.

She does. Her hdd has never left her machine so that's not the problem.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Page- wrote: »

She does. Her hdd has never left her machine so that's not the problem.

This is a funny one. There was a patch in the Summer of 2009 that completely stopped my DLC for Oblivion and Fallout 3 from loading unless I was connected to Live, but the rest of my DLC was fine offline. I contacted Microsoft a few times, but they kept telling me to do a license transfer. In the end I tried it, but it wouldn't let me do one because all the DLC was already synced or whatever with my console.

In closing, it's just a bit of a dick at times and I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's a good, reliable DS replacement battery? What should I be looking for to get similar or longer life to my original DS battery before it started to lower significantly?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's a good, reliable DS replacement battery? What should I be looking for to get similar or longer life to my original DS battery before it started to lower significantly?

Official battery from Nintendo, $15.
    This one will probably be better than any third-party battery.

corky842 on
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    On the periphary slightly, is there a group of any AUS/NZ PA players

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    corky842 wrote: »

Official battery from Nintendo, $15.
    This one will probably be better than any third-party battery.

Note: this one is for the DS Phat.

urahonky on
  • Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone know how long an Xbox Live demo stays as a "Gold exclusive"?
    When can Silver or free subscribers expect to get access?
    5 days, a week, NEVER?

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Jamesways wrote: »
    Anyone know how long an Xbox Live demo stays as a "Gold exclusive"?
    When can Silver or free subscribers expect to get access?
    5 days, a week, NEVER?

Usually a month. Sometimes a week.

Magic Pink on