As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The gaming related "I have a question" thread

• Options
    JameswaysJamesways Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks!

Jamesways on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do I need to play Prince of Persia Sands of Time to be able to follow the story in The Two Thrones and Warriors Within? Becuase I don't own Sands of Time and want to play the other two.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You'll appreciate the overall story much more (particularly TTT's ending) if you play SoT first. Plus that game's narrative is just superior anyway. Like, you can play SoT and pretend the other two don't exist and be perfectly content.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone know anything about the PC Version of Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions?

It was released later than the console versions, so the websites I've checked never reviewed it.

It's also down to $20 dollars already. Which makes me suspicious of a crappy port.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I asked this in the Fallout thread, but no one has had anything to say about it, so I will ask in here too.

Is there any way to get Fallout to play in a windowed mode? I looked in the config file but I didn't see any obvious options. I also tried adding a -window argument to the shortcut but no dice there either.

Drake on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Which Fallout? Old school or new school?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Old school.

Fallout the First.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dang... I'm sorry I can't help you there. If I had owned it I would have worked on seeing if I could get it to work.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm starting to think I should just do a DOS install of Fallout through DOSbox and then run DOSbox in windowed mode.

Trying to google or forum search a solution is painful, since including the word 'window' in a search will bring up every reference to Windows ever, everywhere.

Drake on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    According to some posts over at No Mutants Allowed (Yeah, you owe me, by the way), using something called D3DWindower should do the trick.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aww. I just uninstalled it to prepare for a DOS installation. :(

Thanks though. Lemme know if you ever need me to plunge into the darkest bowels of the intertubes for your pleasure.

Drake on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got a question - A couple of days ago Heavy Rain was announced to be a Greatest Hits title via the Playstation Blog. Along with the red case, the cover denoted it was a "Director's Cut" and the page itself hinted at extra content included on the disc. That tag is now removed from the pictured case, as is the text. The question is does the Greatest Hits version contain anything additional other than coming with the Move patch pre-installed? I can't find anything about it anywhere.

The 'case' in question:
    10125830.jpg

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there anywhere I can go to see upcoming release titles and dates on XBLA and the PSN Store?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can go to see upcoming release titles and dates on XBLA and the PSN Store?

For XBLA, I use this CAG thread.

It tracks the current sale and, when known, will post the next week or two of upcoming sales. They just also post all upcoming releases anyway. I think theres another thread somewhere on the board dedicated to just future releases, but I dont have it bookmarked.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Cool, that works well enough. Thanks!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On pre-ordering from Best Buy: Can I go in and get a pre-order with just $5 or somesuch like that? I tried preordering Infamous 2 online with them but they put a hold on your account of the full game cost and refresh it EVERY FUCKING DAY. The thing doesn't come out for like 3 months.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there an easy way to move S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat saves around from one computer to another? My main machine is in the shop, and my old desktop is not quite as meaty as my own.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    On pre-ordering from Best Buy: Can I go in and get a pre-order with just $5 or somesuch like that? I tried preordering Infamous 2 online with them but they put a hold on your account of the full game cost and refresh it EVERY FUCKING DAY. The thing doesn't come out for like 3 months.

Yeah they don't let you pay only $5 at Best Buy anymore. I asked the cashier about it and she said there were lawsuits because some people didn't get a pre-order gift and raised a fuss about it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Uncharted 2 can be beaten over a weekend, go do it.

OH MY GOD WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN PLAYING THIS GAME IT IS SO GOOD!

Sorry for the caps, but I have had it for a year and hadn't played it yet. It is rather good, like I said. I'm actually playing it on Hard right now, and I have made it to Chapter 15 with few difficulties.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Show off.

I had it on normal and there were a few parts on the game that pissed me off, but nothing Uncharted 1 hard (fuck the Church courtyard and the sewers).

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    urahonky wrote: »

Yeah they don't let you pay only $5 at Best Buy anymore. I asked the cashier about it and she said there were lawsuits because some people didn't get a pre-order gift and raised a fuss about it.

Ugh. God, why do they make it so hard to buy something from them? I cancelled the pre-order days ago and the hold is STILL in my account, refreshing every day! Fuckers.

I'm just gonna pre-order it the day before it releases then.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Ugh. God, why do they make it so hard to buy something from them? I cancelled the pre-order days ago and the hold is STILL in my account, refreshing every day! Fuckers.

Yeah you'll still the the pre-order bonus too. Just be sure to go in a few days early just to see if it still exists. I've seen them take the pre-orders down if they have too many built up.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Show off.

I had it on normal and there were a few parts on the game that pissed me off, but nothing Uncharted 1 hard (fuck the Church courtyard and the sewers).

Well, I understand that the temple area will just throw wave after wave of enemies, so I could conceivably turn the difficulty down. Honestly, if it weren't for the trophies, I would probably play on Easy. I'm not like crazy into Trophies/Achievements, but I will shoot for a platinum if it doesn't seem too bad, and if I really like the game.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Show off.

Well, I understand that the temple area will just throw wave after wave of enemies, so I could conceivably turn the difficulty down. Honestly, if it weren't for the trophies, I would probably play on Easy. I'm not like crazy into Trophies/Achievements, but I will shoot for a platinum if it doesn't seem too bad, and if I really like the game.

Unfortunately, unless you like online multiplayer, about 30% of the trophies are multiplayer related. Which made me sad.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Not true, unless that specific store stopped. I know the store here has a computer set up where you can select the game you want and it will print a slip that you bring to the cashier.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yeah you'll still the the pre-order bonus too. Just be sure to go in a few days early just to see if it still exists. I've seen them take the pre-orders down if they have too many built up.

It's just a code for a download so I'm sure it'll last. If not, fuck 'em.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Not true, unless that specific store stopped. I know the store here has a computer set up where you can select the game you want and it will print a slip that you bring to the cashier.

When was the last time you pre-ordered something from the store? Just curious... I tried to get Dead Rising 2 pre-ordered and they told me that. This was a few days before it came out.

urahonky on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

When was the last time you pre-ordered something from the store? Just curious... I tried to get Dead Rising 2 pre-ordered and they told me that. This was a few days before it came out.

The special edition of MVC3 just a few weeks ago.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Show off.

Unfortunately, unless you like online multiplayer, about 30% of the trophies are multiplayer related. Which made me sad.

Only two for the platinum, though. (Easy, too: play a competitive game and play a co-op game.) The rest are DLC related.

Now, if you want to talk about online trophies that are frustrating, AC:BroHood's got a couple. There's the typical "Make it to level 50" that took me around 30 hours, and then the Abstergo Employee of the Month that requires you to get every single online bonus, including Extreme Variety (15 bonuses in a single match).

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

The special edition of MVC3 just a few weeks ago.

Huh. I hate my Best Buy then.

urahonky on
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I need to re-attempt crushing on Uncharted 1. I managed to beat #2 with only a few fits of rage, but I did cheese the end-boss.

I've only pre-ordered one game from BestBuy (Dead Rising 2) as part of the pay $10 now get a $10 gift card later promotion that they still run on various games. After calling 4 or 5 times fighting to get my gift card I realized that my wasted time was worth more than the promised $10. Bloody points programs.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Fuck those point systems and buyers clubs. All they are is an attempt by the company to game you into spending more money to opt into a program that offers "rewards" they know most people won't go through the trouble of redeeming.

Drake on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a Magic the Gathering type game for iPhone or iPad? iPad would be really cool...

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm kind of itching for an rpg to play until Dissidia 012 comes out. On the PSP preferably. Tactics Ogre:LUCT looks....kind of alright, but I've been thinking about either Brave Story or Jeanne D'Arc because they're on PSN and they're relatively cheap.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm kind of itching for an rpg to play until Dissidia 012 comes out. On the PSP preferably. Tactics Ogre:LUCT looks....kind of alright, but I've been thinking about either Brave Story or Jeanne D'Arc because they're on PSN and they're relatively cheap.

If you're interested in SRPG's (and by tactics ogre, I take it that you may be) you should consider the Valkyria Chronicles series. The PS3 game is awesome, and I hear that the PSP follow up is just as good.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If not having played the first game doesn't matter if I should jump right to the second, then I'll consider it. I was actually set on Jeanne D'Arc last night until I found out that the game puts a turn limit on its fights, like finish in 10 turns or its game over. That the kind of arbitrary requirement that really kills interest in a game for me. If anyone has played Jeanne D'Arc I'd love to know if this is something this can get annoying or it there's no way you'd end up using up all your turns in a fight unless you just stood there and guarded for twenty minutes.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I own Jeanne D'Arc and yeah it gets annoying. I'm probably on the 5th fight or so and had to quit because of it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, dammit.

Thanks urahonky. Back to the drawing board then.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I assume you've played Crisis Core and Final Fantasy Tactics already?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No, and wouldn't want to, and yes respectively.

Orochi_Rockman on