As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SOLVED] USB DVD burner issues

NibbleNibble Registered User regular
I recently purchased a Fujitsu USB DVD burner, which is powered by USB. It came with a Y-shaped USB connector, because apparently plugging it into two USB ports provides more power or something. After using it successfully a few times, I found that if I used it and my USB hard drive (also powered by USB) at the same time, both devices would become unusable. When I inserted my hard drive, the computer would make the standard USB connect sound, followed by a "da-da-da" sound (like this), then nothing. Device Manager told me that I had loaded two instances of the same storage device driver, and only restarting the computer allowed me to use either device again. Just using the DVD drive on its own was no problem, but now it seems that I can't use the DVD drive at all. My computer will recognize it when I plug it in, but as soon as I insert a disc, I will hear the "da-da-da" sound and have to restart my computer again. One time, my computer reset on its own.

I googled this problem and found some threads about similar issues, and it seems that it might be a PSU issue. Would getting an externally-powered USB hub fix this problem? Might it just be a driver issue?

|EDIT| I've checked the DVD drive with my netbook, and it seems to work fine (so far), so I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the drive.

sig.php?id=178
Nibble on

• Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is only when you connect each device individually or both at the same time?

I can see if you connect both at the same time your computer not having enough juice for both.

Also be happy you don't have to carry around a giant brick of a power supply, just that one dual plug in usb cable.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Before, it only happened if I plugged both in at the same time. Now, it happens as soon as I put a disc in the DVD drive, even if nothing else is attached to the computer.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Okay I have a crazy idea.

Goto your device manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controller section. It might be different for you as I'm running Windows 7 but whatever! We will push on.

What you'll do next has worked when we've had weird issues. Normally involving Blackberries.

Uninstall every one of the devices under the USB controller section. Don't restart until you've uninstalled everyone.

Let me know how that goes.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks! I'll try that out when I get home today. I have noticed some weird issues in the past, such as XP installing a new copy of the same device driver every time I put my hard drive in a different USB port. This could very well be the source of the problem.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Nah XP does that with USB things. Plug a USB stick in 1 port it detects and installs, plug it into a different port it detects and installs, that's normally pretty much.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Unfortunately uninstalling everything under the USB category (including non-present devices) didn't seem to solve the problem. Maybe I'll see about picking up a powered USB hub and see if that works.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, if anyone's interested, using a powered USB hub solved the problem. I guess it was a PSU issue.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178