As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacing my Xbox 360

thefaisthefais Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
My xbox 360 has finally kicked it. It's only 2 years old, but due to a me-related 'falling off the table' incident, it is now dead. It'll start up just fine, but the disc drive no longer functions and won't recognize any disc ever. I put in a disc, close the tray, and 2 seconds later it acts like the tray is empty.

The question that I would like to put forward to the Hive Mind: What do I do now?

Keep in mind the following:
I have an HDTV, so whatever I replace it with needs HDMI capability.
I am Canadian.
This is also my DVD player, so something that takes months (a repair, for example) probably wouldn't work.

Do I get a brand new one? Benefits of that include a fancy new (and bigger) harddrive (I'm sick of the 20gig one) and a couple new games.

Do I get a refurbished one? It's cheaper, but can I trust a refurbished one not to break or otherwise be a dick?

"Get a PS3" is not an option, seeing as how I have all of these neato Xbox games that I like playing.

Thanks!

thefais on

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    thefais wrote: »
    My xbox 360 has finally kicked it. It's only 2 years old, but due to a me-related 'falling off the table' incident, it is now dead. It'll start up just fine, but the disc drive no longer functions and won't recognize any disc ever. I put in a disc, close the tray, and 2 seconds later it acts like the tray is empty.

The question that I would like to put forward to the Hive Mind: What do I do now?

Keep in mind the following:
    I have an HDTV, so whatever I replace it with needs HDMI capability.
    I am Canadian.
    This is also my DVD player, so something that takes months (a repair, for example) probably wouldn't work.

Do I get a brand new one? Benefits of that include a fancy new (and bigger) harddrive (I'm sick of the 20gig one) and a couple new games.

Do I get a refurbished one? It's cheaper, but can I trust a refurbished one not to break or otherwise be a dick?

"Get a PS3" is not an option, seeing as how I have all of these neato Xbox games that I like playing.

Thanks!

Unless you're in the boonies, you probably have local people who might be able to repair it within a few days. I'd try that first.

Failing that, may as well get a new one. Given the unreliability of many of the models I'd avoid refurbs.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you're feeling confident, you could try fixing it yourself, replacing the disk drive shouldn't be too hard.

My first xbox was a refurbished console, broke in 2 weeks (though I would guess thats a freak occurance).

101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Definitely would rather send it somewhere to get fixed, rather than attempt it on my own.

Anyone know of any good repair places in Toronto? Or have a ballpark estimate as far as how much it would cost? I assume the drive needs replacing - I'd assume that'd come with a hefty price tag.

thefais on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    With the cost of the replacement part(s) and the inflated labour, you're better off getting a new one. Worst case scenario is that you pay a guy to look at it and find out it's unfixable.

Consider this, would you rather pay $180 for someone to "fix" your old xbox, or spend $330 and get a brand new console, a 250GB hard drive, and FFXIII?

I wouldn't want to spend anything over $50 to revive an old, tiny hard-drived system, but it's up to you. Who knows how long the repair will even last?

You can also grab an arcade for much less than that and use your current hard drive.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not really. I bet someone would do it from somewhere between $40-$80. Finding the place should be more troublesome, but do a quick web search and see what it turns up.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Not really. I bet someone would do it from somewhere between $40-$80. Finding the place should be more troublesome, but do a quick web search and see what it turns up.

Do what? I'm assuming here there are replacement parts involved. $80 sounds like labour alone.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's not a terribly complicated procedure.

I'd personally just buy a new arcade, but I don't think the fix would be that much for this problem. It could be as simple as a misaligned potentiometer.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That sounds like a made up word.

Is the Arcade sale going on still? I saw a commercial that they were $129 or something stupid.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    All words were made up at one point.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Does the Arcade have an HDMI slot and HDD slot?

I believe they're running at $199 up here in Canada.

But an extra hundred would get me a big HDD, and ODST/Forza(?)

thefais on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm pretty sure they all come with the same connectors in the back, but none come with an HDMI cable if my rememberings are true.

Figgy on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yep, they have a HDMI slot and a HDD slot, though they don't come with the HDMI cables or the HDD itself.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Fuck that noise.

Spend a further $15 for 250GB, FF XIII, and 2 controllers: Amazon.ca

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Figgy wrote: »

Fuck that noise.

Spend a further $15 for 250GB, FF XIII, and 2 controllers: Amazon.ca

Oooooo. Intriguing. I don't want Final Fantasy, but there's always trade-ins...

thefais on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Looks like impulse buying has won the day.

Figgy FTW.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Now: how do I get those files on to my new HDD? Will USB work?

thefais on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Microsoft's own handy-dandy Data Migration/Tranfer Kit. I think you have to order it from them. I got when why I bought a 120gb HDD. Comes with the cable and a disc with the transfer program.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Send it in for repair and buy a $20 DVD player?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You don't need the transfer kit. Just use a USB key for your saves and redownload all your DLC. Once you get your new one, queue up all your downloads and go for a walk.

Figgy on