As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FCBD] May 1 2010 - Free Comics!

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Graphic Violence
Yesterday was Free Comic Book day. I'm surprised there isn't a thread for this yet so I made one. Lets talk about our free comics, the events that took place at our comic shops, and any other swag or purchases that we made yesterday.

logo.gif

Here's a listing of all the free comics:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/comics.asp

And here is what I picked up:
DC_War_of_the_Supermen_Large.jpg
IronManThor-GOLD_large.jpg
Dynamite_Ent_Large.jpg
Marvel_Iron%20Man-Supernova_Large.jpg

Lucascraft on

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I picked up both War of the Supermen and the Iron Man/Thor book. WofS was good but a bit too violent I thought for a FCBD book. It did set up the miniseries well and the back-up story gave a much needed recap to me since I haven't read any thing New Krypton related. Marvel's book was good, a nice done-in-one story with good writing and art. Don't know if the repercussions in the story will be felt in other books but it would be nice if Fraction mentioned it in Iron Man next month since some fairly major stuff happens on Earth.

I also picked up the Mark Waid Strange mini for a pretty big discount.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Me from another thread
    Algertman wrote: »
    FCBD at the store I work at was insane. I work at Kingdom Comics in Vestavia Hill, AL.

If you notice this is a chunk of the line. You don't see the store in this pic and you don't see the end of the line. This was about 10 minutes before we opened.
    30939146468505611812032.jpg

We had all the books. We had thousands to give out. No purchase needed just don't take more than 1 of each. We ran through about 90% in about 3 hours. We had some quater boxes set out so I would let people get a few of those for free since there wasn't much to give out later on in the day. We had people dressed up and everything. The cosplayers were Aquaman, Ms. Marvel, Sally Jupiter (Modern Watchmen Movie version), Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Spider-Man, Deadpool, Princess Leia, Storm Trooper, and Boba Fett. We also ran a big sale. We had 75% off certain TPB and HC boxes, most action action figure were over 50% off, T-Shirts were 35% off, the rest of the TPB/HCs were 35% off, back issue bins were 40% off, and Wall comics (older and/or expensive stuff we keep behind the counter) were 30% off.

Here's a few more pictures.
    30939146468621614712032.jpg
    30939146469017624612032.jpg
    30939146468717617112032.jpg
    30939146468705616812032.jpg

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, War of the Supermen was basically just a recap of the past year in World of New Krypton. It wasn't bad. It was just there to bring everyone up to speed.

However, the one thing I didn't like about it was the inking. It was incredibly thick throughout the entire issue. The cover (image in OP) is just an example of how heavy the inking is.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know I'm probably the only person here that still reads Top Cow, but did anybody's shop happen to get the Top Cow Artifacts book for FCBD? I didn't see it at either place I went.

Hensler on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got to meet the colorist from Doomwar here in Moncton. :) Seemed like a nice guy but wasn't much up for talking about it when I started talking about how I liked the way Doom was being written.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I felt so bad walking by the local artists that were at my store's FCBD. Looking at their pleading eyes, I wished I would have thought to bring some cash, so I could have bought some stuff from them. But artists, in the future? Please have some sketches to sell that aren't just done on scraps of sketchbook paper. Invest in some Bristol board. Also, try cutting the paper into easily framed squares, rather than lopsided circles.

But it was kind of hilarious when I later heard someone enthusiastically declare, "Hey, that inker from Zenescope says he knows a DC colorist, and he's totally going to bring him next year!"

I bet that dude has some stories!

Munch on
  • Options
    Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Although I've been reading for a while now, this was my first FCBD and it was pretty awesome. I managed to bring my girlfriend to 3 different stores to be sure we got everything and to check out any deals places had going. Nothing too interesting, couple of back issues on the cheap and a couple discounted more than usual trades (she's interested in GL so I got Rebirth to start her on).

The best moments of the day, although, were when we were standing in line at the last shop and a HUGE body builder guy who apparently worked at the place (never seen him before) was the "bouncer" and was making small talk with everyone. I thought they just hired him for the day but he was talkin the talk (Kick-Ass and Iron Man movie vs. comis discussion) so I dunno, but the amazing part was him near threatening these tools that walked by and telling the girls at the tanning salon next door to come check out FCBD and responded to their laughter with "well these won't give you cancer". Haha best waiting in line experience ever

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What was the name of the last store you visited Duke Phillips?

Algertman on
  • Options
    Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The last store was "Bells Books and Comics" in Dayton, OH. Were you there? The place was packed, and the owner/manager guy mentioned it was the busiest he's been in 6 years of being open.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The last store was "Bells Books and Comics" in Dayton, OH. Were you there? The place was packed, and the owner/manager guy mentioned it was the busiest he's been in 6 years of being open.

Nowhere near. It's just we had a big guy watching the door the so nobody would get to pushy in the crowd and we are neighbors t a tanning salon.

Algertman on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Late FCBD haul news: my LCS was having a half off sale on select trades and hardcovers, so I picked up four hardcovers for $40.27. I'm tempted to go blow the rest of my birthday money on more, since the owner said the sale would be on until they are all gone.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I was gonna get one of these while I was at my LCS on Saturday. But then I found out the price tag was 60 bucks and eff that.

uni_gl_classic.jpg

These things are so cool though. There's a really good Batman one too.

Edit: I might end up buying one tomorrow though, now that I'm mentally prepared for the fact that the thing costs $60. I do love me some Hal Jordan.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not technically a FCBD deal but the seasonal mini-convention I go to near my place the next day had a fantastic deal on trades. I got the Gillen Beta Ray Bill story, Dark Reign Sinister Spider-man, Immortal Iron Fist vol. 2, and Uncanny X-men Lovelorn all for only 7 bucks, plus I got the X-men: Prelude to Onslaught trade for only 5 and it's retail value was 30 friggin dollars. Great comics week for me.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Not technically a FCBD deal but the seasonal mini-convention I go to near my place the next day had a fantastic deal on trades. I got the Gillen Beta Ray Bill story, Dark Reign Sinister Spider-man, Immortal Iron Fist vol. 2, and Uncanny X-men Lovelorn all for only 7 bucks, plus I got the X-men: Prelude to Onslaught trade for only 5 and it's retail value was 30 friggin dollars. Great comics week for me.

I'm filled with jealousy right now. :x

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Prelude to Onslaught is a great book. I'm pretty sure that's the one that has Nate Grey hanging out with Thor.

Hensler on
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I took my 11 yo nephew and his 9 yo sister to FCBD at our LCS. They had small run artists outside and a pro guy inside. There was no real line, just a mass of unwashed nerds. It was funny though, i mentioned to my niece that they had a lady gaga comic, and she's like "oh cool". But, they were out, so a crippled guy on crutches with a hunch on his back is all "i have the last copy but you can totally have it". She told him she didn't want it 4 times but he kept insisitng so eventually i took it for her, and that's how I ended up with my lady gaga book LOL.

Also, the creator of mumblepuss web comic (who had a print run at our lcs) did sketches for both and my nephew tipped the guy a manly 2 bucks. in quaters. Big deal for an 11 yo =)

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.