As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

things I wish there was a study on

The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hopRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
- the percentage of the population in Stockholm with Stockholm Syndrome v. the number of people with Stockholm Syndrome worldwide
- the average number of episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer a Buffy fan watches before realizing she's wasted her life
- the annual amount of salsa consumed compared to how frequently you vote Republican
- detailed brain analysis of a person consuming Dr. Pepper v. Diet Dr. Pepper to see if there really is a difference
- an aged based study where you show different generational groups Poison's "Unskinny Bop" video and see how aroused they get

add on.

The Green Eyed Monster on

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    percentage of people who can, in fact, believe it is not butter

Rent on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Are you suggesting that there is a positive correllation between salsa intake and republicanism or a negative one?

Because damn I love me some salsa.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    - percentage of women who think they're crazy compared to percentage of women who are crazy
    - the average thickness of socks worn by happy people compared to the average thickness of socks worn by sad people
    - the exact, scientific, mathematically verified upper limit of "image enhancement" in Hollywood films

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    YOU SHUT UP ABOUT BUFFY

percentage of people who get unreasonably happy when they encounter prime numbers larger than 17 or so

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    YOU SHUT UP ABOUT BUFFY

you shut up your face :P

percentage of people who ironically wear bad sweaters vs. percentage of people who unironically wear bad sweaters

Rent on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I started wearing them ironically. Why do I still wear them? I don't know, but it doesn't feel very ironic.

Hoz on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The number of people who know what irony is and the overlap with the number of people who wear shirts ironically.

Couscous on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I mean, at some point that's all you've got to wear. I guess what I'm saying is that be careful about how much you invest into ironic clothing.

Hoz on
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    They actually have done fMRI studies on the differences between Coke and Diet Coke and taste preferences.

I read them for a class a few years ago, so I may be misremembering, but I think the results showed that people cannot determine better than chance whether an unlabeled soda is Coke or Diet Coke, but that if you tell participants the unlabeled soda is their preferred version then it actually does "taste better" than if you tell them its their non-preferred version (based on both self-response questionnaires and a couple analyses of fMRI data).

Now I want to go look those studies up and see if I've remembered them correctly.

Talka on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    - Admiration of Superman compared to expressions of altruism in adult life
    - average number of ungrateful teenagers birthed by average Lifetime viewer

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Talka wrote: »
    They actually have done fMRI studies on the differences between Coke and Diet Coke and taste preferences.

I read them for a class a few years ago, so I may be misremembering, but I think the results showed that people cannot determine better than chance whether an unlabeled soda is Coke or Diet Coke, but that if you tell participants the unlabeled soda is their preferred version then it actually does "taste better" than if you tell them its their non-preferred version (based on both self-response questionnaires and a couple analyses of fMRI data).

Now I want to go look those studies up and see if I've remembered them correctly.
    That's awesome. If you can find those studies, I would totally read them.

• Options
    edited May 2010
    - percentage of women who think they're crazy compared to percentage of women who are crazy

They haven't done it with "women" and with "crazy," but all different sorts of illusory superiority phenomena have been pretty well documented in social psychology (e.g., ~85% of people think they have "above average" intelligence).

Talka on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I want someone to make a giant, interactive (via the intarwebs) Venn diagram of demographic data and Facebook interests.

Like, each "slice" or "page" of the diagram would be a specific demographic data point or point of interest, and it would list "X% of people who like this also like Y"

for example

PEOPLE WHO LIKE IRON MAIDEN

90% are males
    80% are Democrats
    70% play lots of video games
    4% are furries

And so on. You'd be able to click on each one and get to its own page. I don't know how you'd choose which related interests/data to put for each page, though.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    - avg. # of onboard ejaculations per yacht

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    I want someone to make a giant, interactive (via the intarwebs) Venn diagram of demographic data and Facebook interests.

Like, each "slice" or "page" of the diagram would be a specific demographic data point or point of interest, and it would list "X% of people who like this also like Y"

for example

90% are males
    80% are Democrats
    4% are furries

And so on. You'd be able to click on each one and get to its own page. I don't know how you'd choose which related interests/data to put for each page, though.
    I love shit like that. Too bad that the sample is always biased towards the younger people.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Can't find the study citation in my notes, but the lecture slides from that year are telling me I got it mostly right, except the study used Coke and Pepsi instead of Coke and Diet Coke.

Talka on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I kind of like Buffy.

edit: And I'd say it took me most of the first season.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The correlation between a dirty belly button, and manic depression.

Newtron on
  • Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    • The number of people who talk bad about Buffy because of the show's name without actually watching through Buffy

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OremLK wrote: »
    • The number of people who talk bad about Buffy because of the show's name without actually watching through Buffy
    Corollary;
    • Percentage of Buffy fans that still refer to characters as "Angel", "Giles", "Willow", "Wesley", etc when the actors who portrayed them have parts on different shows.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    - what's really in Weezy F. Baby's cup
    - the amount of influence "ridin' dirty" has "when they patrolling"
    - avg. number of assorted cigar papers used per month by the entirety of Snoop Dogg's touring crew

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    TincheTinche No dog food for Victor tonight. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I always wondered why cats make the 'kekekeke' sounds when preying on a bird or insect. It always seemed kinda counterproductive. It's also the cutest thing ever.

Tinche on
    We're marooned on a small island, in an endless sea,
    Confined to a tiny spit of sand, unable to escape,
    But tonight, it's heavy stuff.
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Can't find the study citation in my notes, but the lecture slides from that year are telling me I got it mostly right, except the study used Coke and Pepsi instead of Coke and Diet Coke.

Okay, Coke and Pepsi I can believe. When I read your initial post, I thought to myself, "No way. Aspartame leaves a very distinct aftertaste; just about anyone who has consumed a normal amount of both regular and diet sodas could distinguish the two."

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    loosecannon460loosecannon460 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The emerging field of neuromarketing covers all sorts of things like the Pepsi challenge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuromarketing

Apparently Pepsi won the blind test, but the Coke name is stronger.

loosecannon460 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd like to know if a life of "correct" behavior from a general societal viewpoint is a healthy life.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Tinche wrote: »
    I always wondered why cats make the 'kekekeke' sounds when preying on a bird or insect. It always seemed kinda counterproductive. It's also the cutest thing ever.

Wait, what? I have never seen this before.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Both of my cats have done this as well. They see a bird in the window and they try to talk to it or something. I can also corroborate that it is adorable.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

for example

90% are males
    80% are Democrats
    4% are furries

I love shit like that. Too bad that the sample is always biased towards the younger people.

Just have to wait for a generation or two to die off.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Both of my cats have done this as well. They see a bird in the window and they try to talk to it or something. I can also corroborate that it is adorable.

http://www.pawsonline.info/feline_sounds.htm

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's because cats envision themselves as WWI soldiers, and they are imitating the sounds of ack-ack fire at the vile bird menace.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg