As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Facebook Advertising

eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hypothesis: Facebook advertising can generate sales through having targeted customers click on my ad to come to my website. (Paying per thousand impressions)

Result: Incredibly low clickthrough rate. However, UNIQUE clickthrough rate very high (meaning that the same add was shown to the same person several times instead of once, so even if they clicked, they didnt click EVERY time they saw the ad - therefore wasted ad impressions)

New Target: Increase ammount of UNIQUE impressions / Decrease ammount of impression waste on showing the same ad to the person over and over.

Entertaining any and all ideas. I'll even send you oodles of cosmetics free of charge if your advice generates the results I'm trying to attain.

Please feel free to ask any questions in case I haven't provided enough information - I am literally throwing spaghetti and not even hitting a wall.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
eatmosushi on

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You shouldn't waste spaghetti; there are starving kids in Africa.

PolloDiablo on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, what's your click through rate, etc. Give some statistics.

Cauld on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Every facebook ad seems to think I want/need a girlfriend.

EskimoDave on
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    [CENTER]Date	Campaign Name	Impressions	Clicks	Click Rate	CPC	CPM	Spent (USD)	Unique Impressions	Unique Clicks	Unique Click Rate
    4/14/2010	FreeShipCA7	227826	13	0.00600%	2.54	0.14	33	34496	13	0.04%[/CENTER]

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited May 2010
    hmm sorry thats not formatting correctly - where i get a CTR of .006%, I get a UNIQUE CTR of .04%

so you can see why i'd want to maximize my unique impressions as opposed to hitting the same people over and over

eatmosushi on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Every facebook ad seems to think I want/need a girlfriend.

I had those for 6 months, then started getting ones asking if I wanted / needed a boyfriend; I guess facebook decided maybe that was why I wasn't clicking?

Gdiguy on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The CTR is more dependent on the targeted viewers than the ad itself. Broadening the target demographics you provide to facebook might slightly increase the unique CTR to overall CTR ratio, but you'd probably drop in total CTR and waste a lot of ad views. Also just consider what about your ad is causing the current CTR, is it only seeming relevant to a small number of the viewers? Could you make it relevant to more of them?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited May 2010
    Impressions Unique Impressions
    227826 34496

The ACTUAL click through rate is really bad, but if I just look at the CTR from Unique users, it's fantastic.

Basically I'm trying to figure out a way to have my ad only play for one person one time, on facebook.

eatmosushi on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have some advice, but please answer these questions to better provide strategies:

What do you sell?

Who is your consumer? (Age and income)

Is there a secondary consumer? (Mom, dad, boyfriend, girlfriend)

Geographically, where is your consumer?

What other kind of products are marketed to these people (is there competition)

The great thing about facebook is that you already have all the statistical data sorted out for you. Age, relationship status, geographical location. You can use all those things to your advantage, perhaps even set up a special ad that gives a 25% discount only on the customer's birthday.

Still, I have to wonder why you chose facebook? My company does some promotions on facebook (in the form of diet programs), but we chose facebook because it was the medium that fit our needs, not because it was the only one available.

If you've chosen facebook for convenience sake, and not because you saw or predicted a trend you are almost certainly throwing your money away.

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2010
    What do you sell?
    A specific brand of nail polish

Who is your consumer? (Age and income)
    Female, 25-45, income not sure

Is there a secondary consumer? (Mom, dad, boyfriend, girlfriend)
    not that i can tell

Geographically, where is your consumer?
    accross the country, i only tested ny fl and ca this time

What other kind of products are marketed to these people (is there competition)
    not sure

The great thing about facebook is that you already have all the statistical data sorted out for you. Age, relationship status, geographical location. You can use all those things to your advantage, perhaps even set up a special ad that gives a 25% discount only on the customer's birthday.

probably throwing my money away

Still, I have to wonder why you chose facebook? My company does some promotions on facebook (in the form of diet programs), but we chose facebook because it was the medium that fit our needs, not because it was the only one available.

seemed a conevenient supplement to google adwords

If you've chosen facebook for convenience sake, and not because you saw or predicted a trend you are almost certainly throwing your money away.

eatmosushi on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    seemed a conevenient supplement to google adwords

When you compare this tho Google Adwords, how does it stack up? Does it get more, less, or equal feed back?

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2010
    i'm at a strong 3-4% CTR on adwords, but then again, when you're using adwords you're already looking to buy something, so there's that.

I'm VERY pleased with the Unique CTR of facebook, but I need to cut down on the 'impression waste'

eatmosushi on