Options

Star[chat] II - Wangs of Boobery

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I've kinda got a hankering to watch the Android + Cell saga from DBZ. Anybody know where I can find a good guide as to, say, which episodes I can skip or something? Like, just watch the important ones, and skip the ones with excessive exposition or powering up or whatever.

Just watch the DB Kai version.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Princess Mononoke is what got me into anime as a child. It's a great film, but I blame it for who I became.

A warrior princess, cursed with the azure bonds?

*a pretzel to whoever recognizes that allusion.

Dinosaur people with shark fins represent.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    James wrote: »
    Are you guys talking Battletech?

Fuck Steel Viper!

What did Steel Viper ever do other than be obscure?

Do you hold a grudge against Fire Mandrill because one of their elementals owes you $5?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Princess Mononoke is what got me into anime as a child. It's a great film, but I blame it for who I became.
    That's more or less how I feel about Akira, but I would blame it in a good way.
    Urotsukidoji - Legend Of The Overfiend made me who I am today.

And suddenly, much was explained... :P

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I've kinda got a hankering to watch the Android + Cell saga from DBZ. Anybody know where I can find a good guide as to, say, which episodes I can skip or something? Like, just watch the important ones, and skip the ones with excessive exposition or powering up or whatever.

Once you've read the guide, you can go ahead and skip all of them.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    If I go IS, House Marik and the Free Worlds League are my first choice. Then comes Northwind Highlanders then moving to the Draconis Combine. Clans I have to go with Jade Falcon, well only if I can't be Ghost Bear because Ghost Bear is fucking badass in so many ways. But screw Wolf and Smoke Jaguar.

But the Falcons were such dicks in MW2.

I always had such a soft spot for them since they were the first campaign I beat. That and man by the end they are beat fucking hell by everyone if you beat their campaign. I mean come on Wolf need mercs to win the war! Where is there strength? Where is there power?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

The book or the second in the excellent series of "gold box" D&D games by SSI?

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

hee FR

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh holy fucking god, I rented that some time in high school, you know, after Akira made me curious and all. I got considerably less curious after I watched that one, so yeah, I guess it changed me, too...

I can seriously remember with great clarity the night a friend and I rented it and watched it, and both just sat in his living room after his parents had gone to bed, mouth agape. That was an inside joke between the two of us for years. Actually it helped me make fast friends with this Australian guy who had seen it, too, when I got to Denmark, so yeah ... yeah ... that shit changed me ...

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    For the scifi fan looking for anime, there's always Cowboy Beebop and Ghost in the Shell.

God, I love those two so much. For as much as most anime tends to skew towards total bullshit and fan service as they go on, those two were well-paced, well-produced, and awesome. And the fact that they each got an unplanned expansion season that was ALSO great is just astounding. That rarely works out well.

big issue with ghost in the shell is that it's extremely talky and also really fucking highbrow

like, it's one of the only series to use philosophy in a manner beyond namedropping

cowboy bebop's got near-universal appeal, though

Rust on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I know that's the reason I cut off my original penis and attached a demonic replacement cock powered by dark magic.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    For the scifi fan looking for anime, there's always Cowboy Beebop and Ghost in the Shell.

God, I love those two so much. For as much as most anime tends to skew towards total bullshit and fan service as they go on, those two were well-paced, well-produced, and awesome. And the fact that they each got an unplanned expansion season that was ALSO great is just astounding. That rarely works out well.

big issue with ghost in the shell is that it's extremely talky and also really fucking highbrow

like, it's one of the only series to use philosophy in a manner beyond namedropping

GITS is the only manga that has 20 pages of endnotes.

No, I'm not joking about that.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Fuck Steel Viper!

Do you hold a grudge against Fire Mandrill because one of their elementals owes you $5?

I like to play Jade Falcon.

Also, fuck Wolf and FRR.

James on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Some guy at the Unitarian youth group retreat that I went to always brought a ton of Viz translations of various manga. I fell in love with Ranma 1/2.

The bewbs helped.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Just watch the DB Kai version.
    They haven't gotten to the Cell Saga yet.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GitS is brilliant

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010

anime's way better than the manga anyway

Rust on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I watched the movie, liked it, then got the manga, and I have to say I enjoyed the book so much more. The movie kinda sucks once you read the book, actually.

I didn't feel that way about Akira, probably the only other manga + movie combo I've seen.

• Options
    edited May 2010

Fuck Steel Viper!

Also, fuck Wolf and FRR.

D:D:D:D:D:D:

We can't be friends anymore... :(

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yep, I was referring to the second Forgotten Realms gold box game.

I also reaaaaally liked Secret of the Silver Blades. That, and Curse of the Azure Bonds were my two favorite gold box titles.

Hillsfar holds a special place in my heart as well.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man, yes! I'm gonna get high and watch Ghost in the Shell!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GitS's director also made paranoia agent, which is in a similar vein but not as inaccessible to people unfamiliar with existentialism and the like

also it's got one of the best opening sequences ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U

Rust on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hillsfar... was the first crpg I ever played.

My dad pirated it >.>

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This Reach download is taking forever. I'm just now getting to 50%. Ridiculous, Live!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

That's what I loved so much about it. Most series put up an illusion of depth that they smack against Truman-show style halfway though their run. You get to that point with GITS, brace for impact, and you breeze right on through and off a fucking cliff.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010

Whenever Vegeta's voice changed is when I stopped watching that. The first saga was pretty cool in concept but Jesus did they start dragging on.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GitS's director also made paranoia agent, which is in a similar vein but not as inaccessible to people unfamiliar with existentialism and the like

Susumu... Hirosawa I think? I should probably Google that before I submit this. I love him. He did Paprika too.

EDIT: Hirasawa.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yup you're all dead on the inside.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Elldren wrote: »

Fuck Steel Viper!

Also, fuck Wolf and FRR.

Sorry :(

What do you play?

James on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Cartoons+Music can be soooo good.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh god Paranoia agent was a messed up show. I enjoyed it though. I will admit for a long time I had a thing for Harem Animes like Tenshi and Love Hina! I got better though. FLCL is still one of my favorite shows of all time. It is just so visually strange and entertaining. I enjoy more arching stories a lot in anime.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Fuck Steel Viper!

Also, fuck Wolf and FRR.

Sorry :(

What do you play?

Lyran

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's what I loved so much about it. Most series put up an illusion of depth that they smack against Truman-show style halfway though their run. You get to that point with GITS, brace for impact, and you breeze right on through and off a fucking cliff.
    Yeah, I thought the Akira manga did that, too. I liked it considerably better, though, because it managed to do all that while still telling a story, and without so much direct exposition.

• Options
    edited May 2010

Paranoia Agent is probably the best summation of the Japanese psyche ever made.

AngelHedgie on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    also anyone who doesn't watch baccano is basically trying to hate themselves to death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msg8ypnLqaw

Rust on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hillsfar... was the first crpg I ever played.

My dad pirated it >.>

YOU HAVE SINGLE-HANDEDLY LEAD TO THE DESTRUCTION OF OUR ECONOMY

Drez on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Baccano! was so good.

I'm trying to enjoy DRRR as much

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Question:

Is Boogiepop Phantom any good? I bought it but never watched it.

Also, how about Gasaraki?

Drez on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I continue to hope that even if I never got into anime, I still would have loved FLCL.

Silas Brown on
This discussion has been closed.