As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSP finally gets some Final Fantasy love.

EtericEteric Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
It seems the rumors that some Final Fantasy remakes were coming up were true. But, I don't think it's what people expected, really.

Remakes of Final Fantasy 1 & 2 are coming to the Playstation Portable.

03668_iup316820_122_382lo.jpg

In all honesty, I really don't know what to say about this. Especially considering there's already remakes of both titles on the GBA already.

eatfranks5.png
Eteric on

• Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    It seems the rumors that some Final Fantasy remakes were coming up were true. But, I don't think it's what people expected, really.

Remakes of Final Fantasy 1 & 2 are coming to the Playstation Portable.

03668_iup316820_122_382lo.jpg

In all honesty, I really don't know what to say about this. Especially considering there's already remakes of both titles on the GBA already.
    Quote for picture.

Is this 3D?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Why don't they remake some good games.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't know. And I hope PSP fans don't take this as an insult, but this seems more like a slap in the face or something...

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks like a port more than a remake.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I guess it's good for people who don't have a GBA.

Or a PS1/2.

So I guess it's good for about 5 people.

As much as I love Final Fantasy, I can't see myself ever going through 1 or 2 again. I played 1 on the NES back in the day, the remake on Origins, and the updated remake on Dawn of Souls. And 2 just sucks.
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Is this 3D?

Looks like it's just the Dawn of Souls version.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Meh, looks like the same game thats already out for the GBA. I may be an FF slut, but not that big of one.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I dunno, the second shot on the page (that red dragon) looks like it could be from a new animated cut-scene that wasn't in the Dawn of Souls version.

Maybe it's in the FF Origins (PS1) version though.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    ZedroZedro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pfffft, i'm waiting for the Zune version.

Zedro on
    sig.pl?Zedro
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The picture isnt loading for me. But I agree that Dawn of Souls makes this port unnecessary.

If youre going to port old FFs on the PSP, at least make it the ones that arent already on the GBA/DS. Meaning, the PS1 games.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Meh. Here's hoping Crisis Core turns out as awesome as it looks, but this really isn't true Final Fantasy love-it's really more of a necrophiliacs half hearted hump.

Darlan on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ok...wtf? I'm a HUGE FF fan and (while not my favorite RPG series, it's one of them), and this kinda upsets me. WHY do they need to re release 1 and 2 SO MANY TIMES? 1 and 2 were on ps1, then re released on GBA. that one I can understand because they were going through all the 8 and 16 bit ones for GBA. Ok...but psp now? seriously what the hell. In fact, no matter what they add to it, even if it's some amazing 3d remake, I refuse to buy these on principle. they should make new content for psp or rerelease the ps1 FF games. Seriously, wtf. And I'm a huge huge FF and square-enix fan so for me to refuse a purchase regardless of what FF1 and 2 psp end up being, says alot.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is there anything Square hasn't ported FFI and FFII too?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    These two games have gone from the NES, to the Super Famicom (I think), to the PS1, then the GBA, and now the PSP.

Village bicycle, anyone?

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:
    These two games have gone from the NES, to the Super Famicom (I think), to the PS1, then the GBA, and now the PSP.

Village bicycle, anyone?

I don't think they came out on the Super Famicom. The PS1 and GBA versions come from the Wonderswan remake, with the GBA having some more added tweaks and gameplay.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Eteric wrote:

Village bicycle, anyone?
    Don't forget how it was released on the Wonderswan, a lot of mobile phones, and the MSX 2

Couscous on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    oh man what if they do....FF3, 4, 5, 6 again on psp all because (dun dun dun!) different user base! and then just not do 7, 8, 9. I'd cry hard on the inside.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

I've got some unopened mail on my desk that I am relatively sure will not play FFI. The cocoa mug next to it can, though.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    7 incoming for DS? D:

I don't really care, honestly. So long as they continue to flood my DS with decent RPGs, I'm happy.

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Whatever happened to the other FF7AC game that was supposed to come out for the PSP?

At least, the PSP is getting a FFT port/enhanced version.

Invisible on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They really need to make a good RPG for the PSP

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Krunch XPKrunch XP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    How long did it take to get from Final Fantasy 1 to 5 on the GBA/DS? Two years? I don't want to have to wait for them to go through a full cycle to get some FF6-7.

Krunch XP on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Delzhand wrote:

I've got some unopened mail on my desk that I am relatively sure will not play FFI. The cocoa mug next to it can, though.
    Can the mail play Tetris?

Couscous on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Funny, because I already have FF7 on my psp.

Ludious on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ludious wrote:
    I'll bite. How?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Zoolander wrote:

At least a good original one. It's nice to be able to play Valkyrie Profile and Tales of Eternia on the go, but it's surprising to see such a lack of new RPG content on a Sony system.

Even the two RPGs I'm looking forward to the most are ports: Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
  • Options
    AlienCowThatMoosAlienCowThatMoos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    I'll bite. How?

Methods that shalt not be spoken of here. That said, it's real and it's fan-fucking-tastic. I doubt Sony themselves will do a better job (which is funny since essentially this 90% their doing).

AlienCowThatMoos on
    SpidermanSig.jpg
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    I'll bite. How?

A group unmentionable broke through the PSP's PS1 playing firmware and made it capable of playing ANY PS1 game rather than the ones released in the download service.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Ouch, if that spreads, that could really hurt Sony's PS store.

Anyway, I don't think we're even supposed to be talking about this.

I have to wonder if this means they're going to port Final Fantasy III DS to the PSP...

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    See, that's the kind of thing I'd easily get a PSP for.

Until then, I'll wait for Crisis Core and Disgaea's release.

I'm not sure what the catalyst'll be, but I think Disgaea arrives first. Then I'll just run out and get Lumines and Valkyrie Profile on the same day.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:

Why pay 250 plus whatever the damn game is for something you can get for FAR less on the GBA already? Seriously, I got I&II for 9.99 on the Circuit City Clearance. Used GBA systems can be had for dirt cheap if you don't already have one (or a DS).

Unless they are 3-D remakes, there is nothing new to see here except for Square trying to milk it for all it's worth. Come to think of it, that's not even new....

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:

Why pay 250 plus whatever the damn game is for something you can get for FAR less on the GBA already? Seriously, I got I&II for 9.99 on the Circuit City Clearance. Used GBA systems can be had for dirt cheap if you don't already have one (or a DS).

Unless they are 3-D remakes, there is nothing new to see here except for Square trying to milk it for all it's worth. Come to think of it, that's not even new....

I was referring to the unspeakable stuff.

FF7 on the PSP should've been a given for Sony to provide people with. You wouldn't be able to keep PSPs on the shelf if they had that capacity from day one.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Backlash wrote:
    Zoolander wrote:

At least a good original one. It's nice to be able to play Valkyrie Profile and Tales of Eternia on the go, but it's surprising to see such a lack of new RPG content on a Sony system.

Even the two RPGs I'm looking forward to the most are ports: Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea.
    Jeanne d'Arc looks awesome, as does FFVII: Crisis Core. I've also heard good things about Tales of the World (though it's only been released in Japan).

Anyway, I haven't gotten around to buying the GBA ports of FF1+2, so I think I'll look at buying the PSP ones (since they seem to be a little better). I've got the PS1 versions, but I'd by far prefer a handheld copy of each.

I'm going to guess these ports are just a way of Square Enix to bypass putting their games up on the PS Store. Next we'll probably see FFIV-VI and probably even FFVII-IX eventually.

Btw, Baltheir is confirmed as a new character and Dark Knight is confirmed as a new class in FFT:LW. Excellent news.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cj iwakura wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

Bunch of crap that doesn't matter.

I was referring to the unspeakable stuff.

FF7 on the PSP should've been a given for Sony to provide people with. You wouldn't be able to keep PSPs on the shelf if they had that capacity from day one.

Sorry...I didn't realize you were talking about FF7. In that case...I agree. The problem is that it is not Sony's choice to Provide people with FF7...It's Squeenix's

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    And Square-Enix doesn't look like it wants to throw FFVII out there, so...

Eteric on
    eatfranks5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Is FF7 that popular?

Couscous on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Is FF7 that popular?

You don't see a high-budget CGI movie based off FF8, do you?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    titmouse wrote:
    Is FF7 that popular?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks to me like they just took the FF Chronicles/Dawn of Souls remake, split it in half and charged full price for both.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not interested at all in this. I'm all for remakes in general, but a 3rd remake of an old game that's already had releases on PSOne and the GBA? It seems so pointless....

The FFT remake? I'm there, it never got a PAL release and I'm all for playing it on my PSP. CC:FFVII the prequel to Final Fantasy VII that was announced long ago? It could be great, it could be terrible, I'll wait and see. FF1 and FF2 though? Meh

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Looks to me like they just took the FF Chronicles/Dawn of Souls remake, split it in half and charged full price for both.
    Except that (from what I gather) we don't know the price or if they will be packaged seperately. So it sounds like your assuming a lot.

Oh and I think you meant Origins, not Chronicles.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid