As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

looking for Roommate (Advice)

zerochapterzerochapter Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Good morning.

I recently got out of a long term relationship, we all know how that goes I guess. A side affect of my current situation (besides the spontaneous breakdowns and tears stinging my eyes at the most inopportune times, Is the fact that I cannot currently afford my home. We had/I have a nice place, it is a 2 bedroom house in Everett WA with rent very economical at 925 a month.

However with utilities and my own credit card debt taken into account I can barely afford it (My account has a whopping $7.67 after paying rent Saturday). All these factors lead me down the road to one conclusion , I need a roommate.

I have a fairly sweet place yet in order to afford to continue to live here I need to find someone to share the Burdon with. I haven't had to go the craigslist route before for situations like this and I could use any advice you guys can throw at me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
zerochapter on

• Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Having just searched (and found) for somewhere to live on Craigslist, here are my two cents.

I judged the posts by how well they were written, and how prepared the renter seemed to be. After visiting a few locations, it was clear that the better the post was, the "better" the living situation would have been; if that makes sense.

I think the reverse probably applies. If you get emails and such that are sloppy and lazy, that it probably the sort of person you are going to end up with. If you get professional looking emails that are well put together, than you will end up with that sort of renter.

So if you want to attract a professional type person, you should write a professional type of ad.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, first off, check their grammar and spelling. It may sound weird, but it really does separate out a lot of potentially bad roommates.

Second, when they email you, take that email and plug it into MySpace/Facebook to get a better look at them, their interests, etc...It works 90% of the time and it'll give you a much clearer picture of who they are.

Esh on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Yeah, first off, check their grammar and spelling. It may sound weird, but it really does separate out a lot of potentially bad roommates.

Second, when they email you, take that email and plug it into MySpace/Facebook to get a better look at them, their interests, etc...It works 90% of the time and it'll give you a much clearer picture of who they are.

I honestly never thought of this before but it would work.

Don't bring up that you did this though, people tend to take it badly.

Sipex on
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sipex wrote:
    Don't bring up that you did this though, people tend to take it badly.

I find that amusing. In this day in age, if you give someone your real name, you should always expect them to Google you. Whether it is for renting a room, interviewing for a job, or going on a date. It is simply the world we live in.

Best of luck zero!

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not all bad roommates have poor grammar and spelling, and really that is such a topographical thing to judge someone on. Plenty of people I've lived with had less than adequate spelling and grammar and were perfectly fine people to live with. And there are plenty of people I know out there who could compose a beautifully written letter of response and be complete and utter tool bags to live with.

Ask for references from previous renters/room mates, call them up, meet the potential renter in person if they seem to be alright. And like previous suggestions, take a look at facebook.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is Craigslist the only option you have to look for a roommate? I'm looking for a roommate too, and I'm really hesitant to turn there yet. Are you a part of any communities or groups where you could spread the word that you need a roommate? A bowling league, country club, knitting circle, etc? Or friends of friends?

I'm not in dire need of a roommate, so maybe I have the luxury of taking my time that you don't necessarily have, but I like the idea that my potential roommate has someone I know vouching for them...

jimb213 on
  • Options
    zerochapterzerochapter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well a friend would be the best option, but as We were together for over 4 years my friends are "Our" friends etc. As for a coworker I work at a call center for an ISP and I find that the age difference between my colleagues and I tends to be around 15-20 years. As I am only 25 I would prefer someone closer to my age.

zerochapter on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Ask for references from previous renters/room mates, call them up, meet the potential renter in person if they seem to be alright. And like previous suggestions, take a look at facebook.

On this reference part, be weary of the potential roommate's current other roommates.

Think about it, if who you take in is a horrible shell of a human being who makes your life hell for the length of the term that you sign them up for and they go to move out only to bring their future potential roommate to you what are you going to do.

a) Lie and get horrible roommate out of your damn house. You'll get the bonus of possibly having them leave on good terms and not steal/wreck your shit too!

b) Tell the truth to this poor sap about how roommate has made the last X months total hell and point out some specific spots where horrible horrible things happened. Eventually your roomie will move out on his own or you'll get the gall to kick him out on his ass, right?

Sipex on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    Forbe! wrote: »

On this reference part, be weary of the potential roommate's current other roommates.

Think about it, if who you take in is a horrible shell of a human being who makes your life hell for the length of the term that you sign them up for and they go to move out only to bring their future potential roommate to you what are you going to do.

a) Lie and get horrible roommate out of your damn house. You'll get the bonus of possibly having them leave on good terms and not steal/wreck your shit too!

b) Tell the truth to this poor sap about how roommate has made the last X months total hell and point out some specific spots where horrible horrible things happened. Eventually your roomie will move out on his own or you'll get the gall to kick him out on his ass, right?

Heh, it reminds me of this guy at work that we got from another department. They had nothing but the best things to say about him, until a week or so into training it becomes apparent that he's not what we're looking for but now his old department wants nothing to do with him.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I was more or less referring to asking for letters or contact information from the owner of the property mostly to see if they paid on time and didn't make a mess of the place. In junction with the other suggested research you will be able to form a more informed opinion of the person.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That works too but don't take my addition as an attack, I just wanted to warn the OP in case he decides to directly contact a potential candidate's current roomies.

Sipex on