As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Identity Crisis: How Do I Become a Better RP'er?

El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Critical Failures
That thread title might not stick.

I'm in an Exalted group that plays weekly on Monday evenings. Hey, that's today! Anyway, including the Storyteller, we're a regular group of 6. We're going on about a year of playing now, and the experience among the group is varied. Some of us have been playing pen and paper games for a while, but not specifically the Exalted setting while the rest have been doing nothing but Exalted since First Edition. I fall into the former category. I was a veteran D&D player for about 4 years before seeing a White Wolf game (Scion) and then got into Exalted last year around June.

The game's run pretty casually. Due to the level of experience among the players (two having played since First Edition, two having extensive knowledge since Second Edition, and two relative newbs), the group will often sidetrack and the two newbs (me and my roommate) will get a big fat history lesson on whatever we're doing for the day's adventure. Despite my 4 year stint with D&D, I never actually RP'd very much. RP with this Exalted group happens from time to time, usually when one of the PCs initiates something with an NPC. It won't go into Shakespearean acting, but more like the PCs will enter the role or mindset of their character and converse how they think their character would in the situation. Seems natural enough.

My problem is, I don't seem to do very well at that. I often break character to explain my actions and if I could physically insert brackets for detail and meta, I would. I'm also not interacting with NPCs as often as I could to try to get some character development in; not as much as I'd like to, because I have this fear that my RP sucks and brings the group down. I rather like the idea behind my character, so I'm not really looking to try and change roles. I'm a Scavenger Lord - think Indiana Jones, sans whip, but dual-wields pistols that shoot jets of flame. I also have a massive interest for all artifacts of the First Age, and I constantly look for ways to build something that imitates the old technology. I think part of my problem is that when I try to get into character, I'm too self-aware of how inexperienced I sound, so I try to avoid it when possible, and when I'm faced with it, my questions and answers are short, and my conversations don't tend to be interesting.

TL;DR: I'm very inexperienced with RP. I also hated public speaking in school (oral presentations be damned) and I think this translates to getting into character. What advice would you offer?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
Steam: TheArcadeBear

El Fantastico on

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the first step is: Communication!

if you want to bring better RP to the table, either for yourself or your group, you have to let it out and get their take on it. maybe they're sharing the same feelings? and if they aren't, you could ask them for advice on how to better roleplay with them.

the only thing i can offer with the social anxiety is what has always worked for me; that is, throw yourself into the deep end and play it for all it's worth. something i've always kept in mind is that hey, you're sitting around a table with a bunch of other dudes playing pretendy fun. why be self-conscious about it? have fun!

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah thats pretty much perfect advice right there

Im not shy but my first game, i was crippled by the idea that I was doing something unfamiliar and wasnt even sure exactly what I was doing

But then as Arcanis said it clicked that everyone else was in the same boat nd that ultimately all you're doing is improving a scene, or to put it another way just make believing an adventure

Also what really helped me was taking up writing so i got the hang of finding different characters voices it really helped open up a whole new approach to me

HeavyVillain on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also what really helped me was taking up writing so i got the hang of finding different characters voices it really helped open up a whole new approach to me

not enough lime in the world! if you're really wanting to bring depth into your portrayals, that's the best advice right there. read and write, write and read! maybe pick up some amateur theater books while you're at it.

but read and write some fiction!

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Heh, I've tried the writing fiction thing before. Maybe I'm too hard on myself but I feel like what I write when trying to be creative comes off as writing that a 3rd grader could do.

Last night's session wasn't all bad though. The ST had me roleplay a bit with an NPC and I felt comfortable with my interaction. When I'm also in a group brainstorm to get my say in where the group should head, I feel comfortable with that, too. It's the one-on-ones that I feel miserable with.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you are uncomfortable with your knowledge level establish a way to ask for clarification OOC before relaying the information IC. The first RP game I played was SW saga and I was playing a Jedi but I as a player knew very little about star wars universe/jedi lore compared to the people I was playing with so I frequently asked questions so that I as a player had the information that my character would know in order to intelligently interact with NPCs. We put our thumbs on our forehead when we were talking OOC so it was very clear when I was asking for clarification and when I was asking questions as a character.

The other option (I know you said you don't want to change characters) but if your character isn't from the area/planet/whatever you can ask all of those sorts of questions IC. In my most recent D&D campaign we started out in eberron and moved to forgotten realms when we changed DMs and it was perfect for those of us that knew nothing of forgotten realms because we could ask really basic questions IC.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    BhowBhow Sunny day, sweeping the clouds away. On my way to where the air is sweet.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Presenting a completely sculpted character can be daunting. But it doesn't have to be a finished product right away. Choose just one element or aspect of your character: his interest in artifacts, the scar he absent-mindedly caresses, the way his sentences (even statements) end with a rising tone of voice, literally anything you imagine about him. Then work that one aspect into your portrayals of him. It may feel awkward at first, but ease and comfort will follow. As this begins to feel natural, add more features to the mix, and soon you'll find you're not just talking with a funny accent, but slipping into his persona.

Bhow on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I tend to have my characters barely fleshed out when I start. Then I just add bits as the game goes. The best and most fun RPing I've done is when events force me to go down a certain path or another player makes a comment about my character.

For instance: In Fishman's Magnificent X-COM Let's Play that's running in SE++, the character named after me went berserk shot one of the others in the back and killed him. So I started RPing as having an anger problem. Later, I died, and another forumer joked that would turn what was left of my body into a hat rack. So I began RPing a zombie hat rack.

The key is just to have fun and go with the flow. Certainly having more knowledge of the universe helps, but it's all made up anyway.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png