As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My motherboard ate my processor or maybe it was the other way arround (warranty Qs)

mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
Motherboard- MSI P45 platinum
processor- intel E5200 2.5 GHZ (very light OC to 3.0 GHz, no vcore increase, temperatures were always mid 30s C )
power supply: ocz modextreme 600w

I built this computer for my brother. He used it for 2 or 3 months before taking apart his home office to rearrange thing. So the computer sat idle, unplugged in a closet for about a month before he got everything set back up. He went to turn it on and the fans spun up for about 15 seconds before the computer turned itself off. He tried to turn it on again but nothing would happen, no fans or HDs would spin up at all. I verified the power supply was fine and tested it with another power supply, got nothing. So I RMA'd the motherboard to msi. They swapped it out with the same model.

I put the computer back together and it now turns on but hangs during POST. I was hoping that MSI had sent a motherboard back with an out of date BIOS (the e5200 was added only in the most recent bios, video never initialized for me to see bios version) but I just swapped out the processor with a e2180 and it started up showing it had the most recent bios, and I re-flashed the bios for good measure. Put the e5200 back in and it still hangs at POST. So it seems the processor is dead. I am assuming the old motherboard blew something and took the processor with it. Hopefully the ram is fine cause I don't want to buy anymore DDR2 ram.

so onto the questions
1. Has anyone dealt with Intel warranty claims before? General turn around times? Do I pay any fees, one or two way shipping? The processor was retail boxed, so it has a 3 year warranty. I'm concerned about them denying the warranty service under the following clause
(Warranty is void if) damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance
with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper
testing

2. Depending on how much hassle the warranty is I was looking at purchasing another cheap dual core 775 processor. at Microcenter the celeron e3300 is $39 (2.5GHZ, 1MB L2 cache, 800FSB) the Pentium E5300 is $59 (2.6 GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 800 FSB) is doubling the L2 cache worth $20? (50% the cost of the E3300) The computer is used for some gaming, and photoshop, but I know we're not going to get huge performance with these chips.

mehmehmeh on

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't think you're going to notice a huge difference between the two L2 cache sizes. If it were me, I would probably drop the extra 'Jackson just on principle.

I've never dealt with warranty claims from Intel. I'm not sure if they have some sort of internal diagnostic (internal to Intel) that can tell them what conditions the proc was seeing; or if they'll just pull a 5200 from backstock and throw it at you.

For those retail prices, though, if they end up giving you a runaround, just forget about it.

Mugsley on