As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

you like SCHOOL in the summertime (TFS&AMP'D COME TO SENSES, SAY AMERICA IS BEST)

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    so are there revelations being made in this thread

epiphanies?

I'm kind of having a mini one about the nature of sovereignty and the character of the state but I'm not quite ready to write it down

that sounds like some heavy shit for a sunday afternoon

ps i'm thinking about buying a book of essays by dave kopel

this is related to you because he does some lawyering

it is but I'm not going to spend the day doing anything else so
    • if rights don't occur naturally then they're the product of the existence of states, or as someone said earlier, "they are what we say they are"
    • that being the case, it seems like they would generally be granted by the sovereign
    • but what if you're a Jeffersonian (just for the sake of argument here) and your claim is that sovereignty actually belongs to the people who have to consent to be governed? Would that be functionally different from rights granted by the sovereign?
    • If not, then legal rights are just the relationship between the people who claim them and the state
    • Doesn't this work for any two people or groups of people? Would you describe the way I form a relationship with a corporation (buying things, working for them) our rights? (mine and the corporation's)
    • If that is so, what makes the state qualitatively different from any other group?

this is what my mind does when it is bored

seems reasonable enough to me

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    britannia does not really make any sense

Well maybe she does a bit

her hat is roman, they invaded and influenced us
    trident to do with ruling the seas? or maybe its a big fork

I'm drawing blanks at the wheelchair though.

the hat is greek

thats why she doesn't make sense!

Is it?

Perhaps she's saying, "Britan makes no sense, you are muddled up".

Liiya on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    for the record I agree with what a lot of teefs is saying I just wish she'd tone down the retardspeak

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lady+Liberty+and+Lady+Justice.jpg

I don't even know . . .

Dudes, what are the national personifications of other countries?

yes hello how much

Antimatter on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    the things that i am most proud of as a brit that my country has done are the many great thinkers it has produced

but then sometimes i realise that really those people could just have been born anywhere and that is not a reason to be proud of the uk

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    but you did bring civilization to a lot of the world

horrible, horrible civilization

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    we invaded a lot of places

that is not the same as bringing civilisation to the world

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    british people to be proud of

arthur wellington
    admiral nelson
    richard sharpe
    monty python

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sometimes I think this country is a bit rubbish, but then I think it's one of the better places to live in the world, and that I should be more appreciative.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    we invaded a lot of places

that is not the same as bringing civilisation to the world

you invaded places saying that you were bringing civilization

white man's burden and all that

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

arthur wellington
    admiral nelson
    richard sharpe
    monty python

really

no churchill

did he do something terrible that will ruin how awesome I think he is

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010

arthur wellington
    admiral nelson
    richard sharpe
    monty python

my two favourites are maybe bertrand russell and alan turing

[edit]oh, and clement attlee, who basically kicks the shit out of every 20th century american president

bongi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

arthur wellington
    admiral nelson
    richard sharpe
    monty python

really

no churchill

did he do something terrible that will ruin how awesome I think he is

it was a short list spur of the moment

winston is definitely on there

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    it is my understanding that bertrand russell is pretty cool, no?

i get a lot of his quotes on my homepage

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I will forever consider the national personification of Britain to be the queen. So cute.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010

bertrand russell was pretty staggeringly fantastic

i mean the dude wrote Principia Mathematica and thus set the ball rolling for computer science (and thus basically the 20th century), and also won the Nobel Prize for Literature for being basically the best essayist ever

bongi on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    wait this is a perfect chance to use this again
    Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind. These passions, like great winds, have blown me hither and thither, in a wayward course, over a deep ocean of anguish, reaching to the very verge of despair.

I have sought love, first, because it brings ecstasy—ecstasy so great that I would often have sacrificed all the rest of life for a few hours of this joy. I have sought it, next, because it relieves loneliness—that terrible loneliness in which one shivering consciousness looks over the rim of the world into the cold unfathomable lifeless abyss. I have sought it, finally, because in the union of love I have seen, in a mystic miniature, the prefiguring vision of the heaven that saints and poets have imagined. This is what I sought, and though it might seem too good for human life, this is what—at last—I have found.

With equal passion I have sought knowledge. I have wished to understand the hearts of men. I have wished to know why the stars shine. And I have tried to apprehend the Pythagorean power by which number holds sway above the flux. A little of this, but not much, I have achieved.

Love and knowledge, so far as they were possible, led upward toward the heavens. But always pity brought me back to earth. Echoes of cries of pain reverberate in my heart. Children in famine, victims tortured by oppressors, helpless old people a hated burden to their sons, and the whole world of loneliness, poverty, and pain make a mockery of what human life should be. I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot, and I too suffer.

This has been my life. I have found it worth living, and would gladly live it again if the chance were offered me.

the fucking preface to russell's autobiography

bongi on
  • Options
    Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    well turing also contributed to the development of the computer! and probably would have more, if the british government hadn't forced him into suicide!

Ol' Sparky on
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For fucks sake. All countries have done pretty horrible things. Be aware of them. Work on making the country you live in a better place...a democracy is only as good as the people in it.

ABC Diplomacy/CIA interventionism/Racial transgressions of the past were bad. Breaking fucking news. Countries should learn from the past, not live in it.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drew-B wrote: »
    For fucks sake. All countries have done pretty horrible things. Be aware of them. Work on making the country you live in a better place...a democracy is only as good as the people in it.

ABC Diplomacy/CIA interventionism/Racial transgressions of the past were bad. Breaking fucking news. Countries should learn from the past, not live in it.

I think the possible response here would be:

Haha, past.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well yes, but then I'd just refer to the first line.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When Finland had a civil war more people were executed after one side won than the total amount of casualties during the war.

This is fucked up.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Bertrand Russell is easily one of the best.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I try to quash any patriotism I find in myself
    it just don't make much sense to me

I still think canada is pretty cool, but I like to think it's for more objective reasons than "this place is the best because I happened to be born here"

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's pretty useful if you need people to fill your army.

NeoToma on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    is there any value in patriotism

I am having a hard time finding it if there is

I don't think there is anything wrong with loving your country. It seems like a healthy thing to love where you live. I would imagine since you love it, you would want to improve it as well.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Didn't Hitler use patriotism and nationalism to turn Germany into a war machine that started the war?

Do people really want to be like Hitler?!

Also if you drive alone, you're driving with Hitler.

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    When Finland had a civil war more people were executed after one side won than the total amount of casualties during the war.

This is fucked up.

Fuck the commies.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I try to quash any patriotism I find in myself
    it just don't make much sense to me

I still think canada is pretty cool, but I like to think it's for more objective reasons than "this place is the best because I happened to be born here"

That to me sounds even worse because if we understand our love for our country as unreasoning
    We're more inclined to be sympathetic to other's love for their own country
    Whereas demanding objective reasoning leads to a lot of arguing with other people about their own feelings

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited May 2010
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    well turing also contributed to the development of the computer! and probably would have more, if the british government hadn't forced him into suicide!

'contributed' inasmuch as he was one of its major founders yes

and he 'did more' inasmuch as he was one of the major codebreakers at bletchley park and thus basically let us win WW2

bongi on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Koshian wrote: »
    is there any value in patriotism

I am having a hard time finding it if there is

if you have a smaller country, it can be very important.

then again blind patriotism is kinda retarded. Its best to be proud of your country but not let it get to your head.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FUCK! skull man what page did this happen?

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Researching patriotism gives your combat units +1 attack and unlocks the human wave attack.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    but shorter

and no colonization

Erm.

nobody was colonized

we just killed all the brown people

liberia isn't even a real place

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I believe someone once said, "My country right or wrong is like saying my mother drunk or sober."
    I think that makes a lot of sense both ways
    You can love your country and still think it's doing terrible things and want to change it
    At the same time, you had no control over who your parents were and even though they raised you, many other people could have just as well or better
    That doesn't mean there's no reason to feel anything for your parents based on anything besides objective reasoning
    You just have to remember "My dad can beat up you dad" is kid shit

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BusterK wrote: »
    I believe someone once said, "My country right or wrong is like saying my mother drunk or sober."
    I think that makes a lot of sense both ways
    You can love your country and still think it's doing terrible things and want to change it
    At the same time, you had no control over who your parents were and even though they raised you, many other people could have just as well or better
    That doesn't mean there's no reason to feel anything for your parents based on anything besides objective reasoning
    You just have to remember "My dad can beat up you dad" is kid shit

my dad can actually beat up your dad though, that's the problem here.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have two dads.

Although one dad doesn't know about the other.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    sugar daddies don't count, VI

Antimatter on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shadow dad

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ghost Dad

Metzger Meister on
This discussion has been closed.