As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Getting rid of sidebar in Google search results (SOLVED)

OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Aside from clearing out cookies, is there any way to get rid of the sidebar on the left side of the results when you do a Google search? I'm given to understand that this is a long-running experiment with no opt-out that they've been doing for several months, and I kind of hate it. The last time it happened clearing out my cookies seemed to get rid of it, but that doesn't seem to be working now. I've switched from Chrome back to Firefox because there's a Greasemonkey script that collapses it, but I do miss the speed. Any fix that works under Chrome would be appreciated.

Orogogus on

• Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's the default layout so you'll just have to deal with it.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, great. Thanks for the link.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmmm.

I could have sworn that link had info on how to go back to the old style.

I pretty much thought the same thing you did when I Googled something today but it looks like I've lost my link.

I know you can disable it in Stylish. That's how I managed it.

I'll get back to ya. Sorry friend.

Sheep on
  • Options
    GrayhamGrayham Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Grayham on
  • Options
    Dr. TrevorkianDr. Trevorkian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    For some reason I totally misread the original post, reversing the browsers.

Nothing to see here.

Dr. Trevorkian on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Grayham wrote: »

Good enough for me. Thanks much!
    bsjezz wrote:

I'd like this even better, since there isn't that split second between the page loading and the extension kicking in, but is there any way to make this the default when you type "google (search terms)" in the address bar? I don't usually actually go to google.com first.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Grayham wrote: »

Good enough for me. Thanks much!
    bsjezz wrote:

I'd like this even better, since there isn't that split second between the page loading and the extension kicking in, but is there any way to make this the default when you type "google (search terms)" in the address bar? I don't usually actually go to google.com first.

Go to Organize Bookmarks and find the one that's currently set up for your google keyword search. It's probably named Google, or Search Google, or something of the sort. Delete the bookmark. Then, on that page, right-click the textbox, choose to add a new keyword for the search, and save it.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's how I did it under Firefox originally, and they all imported over when I installed Chrome, but I don't see the option when I right click the textbox in Chrome. I tried fiddling with the options under Basics -> default search, but it doesn't seem to be immediately intuitive.

EDIT: Figured it out. When they say to insert %s where the search terms should appear, they mean literally %s, not more than one %.

Thanks for the help, all.

EDIT: For the record, what I did was go into Tools -> Options -> Basics -> Default Search -> Manage -> (other search engines) -> Edit -> and paste "http://www.google.com/search?hl=all&source=hp&q=%s&btnG=Google+Search" as the URL.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It really seemed to me that Google would have an option to not have it there, given that they save your preferences on so many other things.

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.