As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Persistent Spontaneous Computer Restarts

Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
I have been having this problem consistently since I built my computer in August, and I'm far too lazy to fix it, but now I'm at my wits end.

What happens is that when I am doing a few processes at once, or if I sneak up on my computer, it locks up for a split second, and then restarts. For example, I just had chrome with 3 windows open, winamp playing a song, skype in the background, and audacity starting up. The sound usually goes that horrible repeating rg rg rg rg rg rg thing, then it *BEEPS* and restarts.

Also, sometimes after having my computer on the log in screen for a while, i'll type in my password, or even simply click on my name to enter my password, and it restarts.

My CPU is around 40-43 degrees, and my mobo at about 30. I didn't think that was running hot at all, but I have had some say that it may be an overheating problem.

Also, when restarting it says that windows has recovered from a serious error, but googling the code didn't find anything useful.

System specs below:
AMD Phenom II X4 995 (black) quad core 3.2 ghz

ATI Radeon 4800 HD

ASUS M4A78 PRO AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model PDC24G8500C7K

KINGWIN ABT-730MM 730W ATX 12V Ver.2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Oh, and it's Windows XP (still, yeah, I know.)

Wombat!! on

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What is the error code? Sounds to me like either a HD or RAM problem. Try reconnecting both items. If problems still exists try running a memtest on the RAM and a checkdsk /r on the HD.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had a similar issue that was related to heat so it might be that, I'm assuming the 40-43 is in C not F. Also it could be a driver issue, make sure you have everything up to date

smokmnky on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Drivers up to date, bios updated, all that is good. I was a smart one and decided to not copy the error message down for this thread, so i'll have to wait till some time today when it poops out again.

One thing that might be of note is how much of a problem my MoBo was when I got it. It had big problems for most people upon getting it, and I had to clear the cmos on it every time i restarted or i wouldn't get post. I had to do that for installing the OS, installing the wireless card drivers, then getting online and getting the bios that fixed it.

And yeah, those are Celsius. I was also told that it might be the power supply by a couple of people, that maybe the 730W wasn't enough for 2 hard drives and all of the stuff I had.

EDIT: Oh, also of note, it only restarts when I'm doing many things at once. If I start up the Arma 2 demo on all full it doesn't restart or chug, only when I'm buffering youtube while doing other little things at the same time.

edit2: pics
    Rat's nest
    5734_1188518505543_1005744466_30590983_1818915_n.jpg

5734_1188518425541_1005744466_30590981_926588_n.jpg

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would think 730 Watts should be enough, before you said that I was thinking perhaps Power. Def. put up the error message you get, you should be able to check the Event Log now and see what the problem was, or at least get an idea of it.

This kind of a problem is a bitch cause it could be, faulty PSU, MB, HD, RAM or a mix. How many cores does ARMAII use? I'm wondering when you're running a bunch of stuff are all 4 cores going, and causing your MB or PSU to flip out. Is your PSU really pumping out 730 watts?

The fact that you mentioned this MB is wonky makes me suspicious of that, but also ur PSU.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    Lord LycanLord Lycan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I had a similar problem once with my old PC, the restarts were so random I had to start replacing parts.

After a lot of troubleshooting, including replacing RAM, the Processor, fan & eventually motherboard, it turned out to be the power supply. One of the cables coming out of the back was seated in the PSU badly and would intermittently cause the PC to restart at random moments.

So I guess my advice would be to check all cabling!

Lord Lycan on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah test with a new power supply. Chances are you are going to start taking out and replacing parts until you find out what it is.

My bet is on the power supply or the motherboard.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Turn this off:
    66549960.jpg

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here's the error code, just popped up on a restart:

BCCode : 100000d1 BCP1 : A4949000 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000000
    BCP4 : A8D1A0D8 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 768_1

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ok, this is gonna sound weird, but I had the same thing happen on my kid's old computer. I ended up ripping my hair out until I finally found the problem was a cheap wireless card we put in there. It was shorting out under high network usage.

I refused to believe it for at least a week after I figured it out but it never restarted again after we removed that card.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    That's a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.

The fact that you mention your sounds are sputtering, it may be the sound card. Disable the device (and remove it if it's not onboard).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I use onboard sound with my MoBo, so no sound card there. I do have a Ralink Turbo Wireless card, though, so maybe it's that dude? I don't use it as of now, since the wireless here at school is spotty as hell.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It could be any number of things. It could also be your onboard sound. Try updating drivers for all the components in your system.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I checked drivers, and my MoBo's onboard sound driver was all fine and cool, but I noticed that there was a second ATI sound driver that wasn't up to date, but that I haven't been using (methinks...)

So I updated that thang

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The only thing you can do now is disable things/replace things and try to isolate what's causing it.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It'll take a bit to see if anything has changed. It will sometimes restart twice in 10 minutes, and other times only do it once a day, if at all.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those kinds of intermittent crashes or reboots are usually hardware and/or power related. That's happened to me twice before. Once was a faulty power supply, and the other time I can only guess because I resorted to completely dismantling my computer, including taking out the motherboard and remounting everything carefully, seating all the cards, and making sure all the cables were secure.

Someone already suggested memtest, which is worth a shot. Other than that, you may have to borrow parts from a friend and swap things out until it becomes stable again.

El Guaco on