As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World Government Constitution

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So, I'm in favor of a world government. I basically agree with Robert Wright's argument in Nonzero: because the world's economic interests are ultimately linked, it would be more advantageous for a legitimate (toothsome) world government to form to effectively regulate things like international terrorism, non-state guerilla forces, the Internet, global warming, etc.

Were such a world government to exist, what should its constitution look like?

My ideas:
Structure: One leader, elected by a majority of the world's population. The World Executive. Cannot be a president of a country. Commander in Chief of the World's military. (So, no more security council.)

Every nation gets a "National Representative." National Representatives, together, form the Lawmakers. National Representatives:
cannot be president of a country.
must be democratically elected, in a process supervised and certified by the World Government.
• each get to cast a number of votes equal to their country's population, as certified by the World Government Census.

Every nation's president gets to appoint one person to the Judicial Council. The Judicial Council would be weird.
• The Judicial Council must live in almost complete seclusion, like monks. They also have to live together, in a community.
• They have "TV," they can watch things, read newspapers from the outside world.
• However, they cannot communicate with anyone on the outside, with 2 exceptions.
— 1. Every day, they have to answer a single question. The questions are all asked by the World Executive. But they're "time-delayed" by a year—the World Executive has to prepare a secret question to ask each day and the council has a year to answer it. The Executive is bound by the answer.
•— 2. If someone in the Judicial Council dies, they can communicate that information.
• Otherwise, they can only communicate with robotic servants that bring them food, water, and other amenities.

Qingu on

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That is a terrible idea.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This really is poorly thought out. The Judiciary Council in particular would have no ability to ensure justice for the politically disempowered, which is one of the most important functions of the judiciary.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hachface wrote: »
    This really is poorly thought out. The Judiciary Council in particular would have no ability to ensure justice for the politically disempowered, which is one of the most important functions of the judiciary.

I pictured them as like ... the nation's presidents would select the greatest warrior from their people, and send them into this secluded robot controlled dome that may be some kind of dystopia, and awesomeness would ensue.

Yeah, I didn't know what to do with a judiciary. I don't know how a world judiciary would work though. Because the International Tribunal doesn't really cut it.

Qingu on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It should be run by these guys:

Gorousei.jpg

Given what's happening in Europe, right now's not the best time to make a case for a world government though....

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just don't see the whole world accepting a western model of government without putting up a huge fight. I forsee a united humanity only arising from some sort of military alliance that just naturally evolves into a government.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This sounds like masturbatory fantasy. You start from the top and gloss over the role of individual nations.

What power does the President of a nation have? What power does the legislature of that nation have, if there even is any legislature?

What happens when very poor countries are the majority?

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I cannot see what on earth the point of the "Judiciary Council" virtual seclusion from the rest of reality is, outside of a hamfisted and exaggerated response to fears of corruption or incompetence. However it just seems rather... not good. It'd be a breeding ground for group think among the justices, instead of reaching out to have a diverse set of backgrounds.

Meanwhile, if there ever was a "World Government," I'd think it would pretty much require something analogous to the American Bill of Rights and various other amendments.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lion wrote: »
    This sounds like masturbatory fantasy. You start from the top and gloss over the role of individual nations.
    The boundaries of individual nations are somewhat arbitrary demarcations most of which drawn by colonial powers in the first place.

That said, individual nations' leaders can appoint judiciary members in my model; they'd obviously have to have some power, just so the thing could realistically happen. Also, each nation elects a "representative," a new office.
    Why shouldn't they be? I don't see how this is even a problem.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    I cannot see what on earth the point of the "Judiciary Council" virtual seclusion from the rest of reality is, outside of a hamfisted and exaggerated response to fears of corruption or incompetence. However it just seems rather... not good. It'd be a breeding ground for group think among the justices, instead of reaching out to have a diverse set of backgrounds.
    It would also be interesting to see what sort of community and political structure popped up within the Judiciary Council.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

No, there's a simple answer to that, we shall be totally goosed.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

No, there's a simple answer to that, we shall be totally goosed.
    Similarly we were goosed when non-landowners got the right to vote?

What the hell, dudes? I don't understand the sentiment that, um, bad things happen if poor people vote. Seriously?

Qingu on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Here's the simplest problem:

This place

vt-map.gif

has the same representation as this place:

Travel_CHINA.gif

I mean, beyond the wankery that is that judiciary council.

And no, one dude getting x votes doesn't really make up for that.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't think our world society is mature enough for one world government. Besides, I don't want countries with dictators as heads of state influencing policy.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also, conducting a worldwide census is kind of a herculean task you've set up.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    LionLion Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Qingu, for a person that embraces atheism, you seem to have this absolute faith in the goodness of humanity.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Judiciary makes no sense obviously. That's wankery.

The rest presumes we already have a world made up of universally of democratically elected governments and sufficient world peace that every country would be willing to turn over control of their military to someone else. Why not just throw in a free unicorn for everyone?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Here's the simplest problem: (non-representational democracies)

Wait, how does that not make up for it?

The Representative from the Vatican would be able to cast 1,000 votes. The Representative from Iran would be able to cast 70 million votes.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Qingu wrote: »

The Representative from the Vatican would be able to cast 1,000 votes. The Representative from Iran would be able to cast 70 million votes.

Which is more easily corrupted: the California House delegation in its entirety or Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer?

Or if you want: Texas' delegation vs. Cornyn and Hutchinson.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Qingu, for a person that embraces atheism, you seem to have this absolute faith in the goodness of humanity.
    I don't really see what that has to do with it, really.

It's like saying the founding fathers had absolute faith in humanity because they wanted to construct a representative democracy. Uh, not really; I'd argue the point of having a government in the first place is because you don't have faith in humanity.

The reason I support a world government, in concept, is because I don't have faith in the militaristic and economic hegemons being in control of things, which is the current set-up.

Qingu on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Plato felt entitled to propose an utterly unbelievable and impractical form of government, so it's not as if Qingu is without precedents here.

Okay, to engage semi-seriously with the idea (judiciary aside. I can't even read that bit without wincing).... one of the great advantages of the UN is precisely that it is so weak. This leaves member countries lots of room to maneuver instead of simply up and leaving the system. Negotiation beats breakdown and threats of military action any day.

So let's say you're President of the United States and you've just been elected on a platform of leaving the new World Government. What happens?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Which is more easily corrupted: the California House delegation in its entirety or Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer?

Uh, I don't think this question is as rhetorical as you are making it out to be. I'm sure a pretty huge number of American representatives are corrupt.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Uh, I don't think this question is as rhetorical as you are making it out to be. I'm sure a pretty huge number of American representatives are corrupt.

Duh, my point is it's way easier to corrupt small numbers of people. Alternately see credit card industries and Delaware's state legislature.

EDIT: In your system, you'd need like 8 guys bought and paid for to do anything you want.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It could happen.

First we just need to discover our ancestral space mother ship, rebuild it, lose most of our population to a hostile alien force, and have the remaining population travel the stars in search for our true home world.

I call dibs on being on the space ship.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    Okay, to engage semi-seriously with the idea (judiciary aside. I can't even read that bit without wincing).... one of the great advantages of the UN is precisely that it is so weak. This leaves member countries lots of room to maneuver instead of simply up and leaving the system. Negotiation beats breakdown and threats of military action any day.
    The UN doesn't actually do anything politically. What system would they even leave? A toothless entity that can no more make Iran stop developing nuclear weapons technology than it can stop America from invading Iraq?
    So let's say you're President of the United States and you've just been elected on a platform of leaving the new World Government. What happens?
    I don't know. Would seccession be allowed? I'm curious to see how this whole Greece thing works out before I come to a conclusion about what the best practice would be there.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Qingu, even ignoring the issues with corrupting one representative vs. corrupting many representatives, issues with strategic voting are much more serious with a small number of high-value voters. Strategic voting is nearly impossible to organize with millions of voters.

Put it this way: the PRC and India together can put together a full third of all votes in among the Representatives. The PRC, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia, Mexico, and Egypt can form a permanent 50% majority.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

You could also think about it as a problem of granularity. Can the interests of all the people of a country the size of China be adequately represented by a single voice?

Bama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Actually, by the population estimates on wiki, it'd take six countries. PRC, India, US, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

...You're trolling at this point, right?

Also, what about Bicameral legislature based on population in one house and X representatives per nation in the other.

EDIT: hmm, Ronya's point seems to put a large kink in that solution, in the former house at least...

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Duh, my point is it's way easier to corrupt small numbers of people. Alternately see credit card industries and Delaware's state legislature.

EDIT: In your system, you'd need like 8 guys bought and paid for to do anything you want.
    I know that's your point but I'm not sure it's actually true. It's way harder to corrupt a senator than a representative; you need more money, and you have to compete with other, possibly conflicting interest groups as well.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The UN doesn't actually do anything politically. What system would they even leave? A toothless entity that can no more make Iran stop developing nuclear weapons technology than it can stop America from invading Iraq?
    I don't know. Would seccession be allowed? I'm curious to see how this whole Greece thing works out before I come to a conclusion about what the best practice would be there.

There isn't any power on Earth that can stop the United States from doing what it wants, that's what being a superpower is all about. To change this would entail changing the loyalties of the US military to another governmental entity; all I can say is 'good luck with that'.

The United Nations is a negotiating table with peacekeeping and aid functions tacked on. You seem to be dismissing it because you don't notice the negotiating that goes on behind the scenes; in its absence, what results is pre-WWI style politicking and all that entails.

Also: wrt Greece - Greece retains much of its governing authority; most of what it gave up was its own currency, and consider the amount of trouble that created! I'm supposing you're not proposing a world currency in yours either - probably many regional currencies.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Qingu, even ignoring the issues with corrupting one representative vs. corrupting many representatives, issues with strategic voting are much more serious with a small number of high-value voters. Strategic voting is nearly impossible to organize with millions of voters.

Put it this way: the PRC and India together can put together a full third of all votes in among the Representatives. The PRC, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Russia, Mexico, and Egypt can form a permanent 50% majority.
    So what?

They have a majority of the world's people. I don't actually see why this is a problem.

Right now, America, China, Britain, France, and Russia form a permanent oligarchy. Is that better?

Qingu on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    qingu, simple question....

what would be the incentive of america, europe or any other country joining in on a population based world government?

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My objection to one single world government is that every nation on Earth is a horrible and despicable mess. However, it just so happens that they are horrible and despicable messes in varying different ways. For example, the USA is a theocracy, the UK is flirting with being a horrendous Big Brother society, Germany hates freedom of speech, Italy is controlled by the Mafia, Sweden is full of inbred geese and Finland is a racist and misogynist country of introverts.

Now, if someone in, say, the USA decides to enact some kind of "gather up all the atheists and put them in 'work' camps" legislation I can just sit here at home in Finland and think "wow, that USA sure is a shithole, I'm glad I live in Finland instead". But if there's some sort of world government thing going on, that kind of legislation wouldn't necessarily be restricted to just the USA, it would spread everywhere on the account of it being all one government and then I've got nowhere to go and I'll be sitting in a "work" camp with Qinqu. Similarily, if Finland enacts something truly idiotic I can always move to Norway.

A little drastic example, possible, but my main point is that I have to suffer some of the stupid laws and legislations the Finnish law makers write down, I don't want to also suffer the stupid laws and legislations what law makers in some more horrible countries write down.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The United Nations is a negotiating table with peacekeeping and aid functions tacked on. You seem to be dismissing it because you don't notice the negotiating that goes on behind the scenes; in its absence, what results is pre-WWI style politicking and all that entails.
    Yis, I realize the UN serves an important role as a negotiating table; it also does important charity work. I wouldn't really call any of its functions "governmental," though, which is the point. It's not a world government in any real way.
    Also: wrt Greece - Greece retains much of its governing authority; most of what it gave up was its own currency, and consider the amount of trouble that created! I'm supposing you're not proposing a world currency in yours either - probably many regional currencies.
    I don't know enough about the subject, honestly.

Qingu on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Some sort of world government is probably inevitable in the long (very long) term, but it is impossible for us to imagine it in any kind of top-down way. When it comes about it will be an organically grown clusterfuck.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    qingu, simple question....

what would be the incentive of america, europe or any other country joining in on a population based world government?
    Moral consistency? Living up to the ideals we profess to espouse? I know, probably a pipe dream.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Someone might want to double-check this, but eyeballing population tables, it seems like the (already existing) Shanghai Cooperation Organization would instantly gain a permanent 50%+1 majority on any population-based representative legislature.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    My objection to one single world government is that every nation on Earth is a horrible and despicable mess. However, it just so happens that they are horrible and despicable messes in varying different ways. For example, the USA is a theocracy, the UK is flirting with being a horrendous Big Brother society, Germany hates freedom of speech, Italy is controlled by the Mafia, Sweden is full of inbred geese and Finland is a racist and misogynist country of introverts.
    Couldn't you make the same argument against a strong federal government for the United States? Some states prohibit slavery, others don't; some offer civil rights to blacks, others don't let blacks or women vote; some let women have abortions, others allow child labor, etc. But we should keep this patchwork of varying atrocities instead of enforcing consistent laws across the board because each state is its own special snowflake of atrocity?
    Now, if someone in, say, the USA decides to enact some kind of "gather up all the atheists and put them in 'work' camps" legislation I can just sit here at home in Finland and think "wow, that USA sure is a shithole, I'm glad I live in Finland instead".
    The events in America affect Finland and vice-versa, and morseo every day. The events in the United States financial industry, in a large way, directly led to the meltdown in Greece. A cartoon posted on the internet prompted mass protests and several dozen killings in Islamic countries.

Countries are not isolated from each other. They can be refuges from each other, but really only if you're rich enough to immigrate if it gets bad.
    A little drastic example, possible, but my main point is that I have to suffer some of the stupid laws and legislations the Finnish law makers write down, I don't want to also suffer the stupid laws and legislations what law makers in some more horrible countries write down.
    A degree of local sovereignty, probably greater than the degree granted to states in the USA, would seem justified in any world government.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

So what?

They have a majority of the world's people. I don't actually see why this is a problem.

Right now, America, China, Britain, France, and Russia form a permanent oligarchy. Is that better?

Consider climate agreements. If India and China's representatives are rejecting them so that they can develop their economies with dirtier energy production (seems likely) that's 36% or so. If the US is being obstinate (this seems likely) that's 40%. I bet between oil producers and other developing economies like India/China we can find another 700,000,000 or so. Iran and Mexico give you a pretty sizable portion, for example.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A degree of local sovereignty, probably greater than the degree granted to states in the USA, would seem justified in any world government.

Now's a good time for you to dilineate exactly what powers you think should be reserved to national entities, then...

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif