As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphics card dead?

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
I just switched my PC on and there was no image on the monitor. Apparently no signal getting through, the monitor thinks the PC is in standby mode. Tried two different monitors so it's definitely not that. Also tried re-seating the gfx card and that didn't make a difference. Is there any surefire way of knowing what the problem is here? Currently using onboard gfx.

Big Classy on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmmmmm, seems very likely that you have things narrowed down correctly. If onboard works, and the video card doesn't even display during posting then it seems it must be your video card.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Damn. There were no last sputtering breaths too. Worked fine last night, flawless and now, when I switched it on it wouldn't display anything. DAMNIT!

Doesn't help that the new card has to be Low Profile. UGH.

edit: Yeah the only display adaptor registered in the control panel is the onboard Nvidia. BOOOO!
    Now I need to decide whether the Sapphire 4650 LP is a good investment, or to stick with the onboard.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well. shit.
    I just ordered a 5570HD. It was recommended a while back by someone here and I never got around to buying it through fear of making things worse. lolrite?!

So to install I simply unplug the old card and pop in the new one?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, you will need to obviously install drivers. The HD 5570 doesn't require direct power from the PSU, so you should be okay.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thank you very much folks. I guess there'll be instructions with the card anyhow. Had to be the freaking weekend. Hate waiting.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ok new issue.
    Should I upgrade to Windows 7 now, before the card arrives or just wait til it's here and plug it in then? Would Win7 auto-download the drivers or nything?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Win 7 won't auto download the drivers and there's really no need to wait for the new card if you'd like to get it installed while you're waiting.

Houndx on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sweet. Just finished.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    *EEEEEEEEEK!*
    New card arrived. Installing tonight. SO excited.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Win 7 does install drivers automatically, but not the latest ones.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, the Win7 drivers work fine for desktop use, internet, word, those things. Not the best for gaming, though.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    AH, I see. In any case the card arrived this morning and I've just installed it. :lol:
    I installed the catalyst application that came with the card and it seems to be working alright. I probably should get recheck the latest drivers off of the ATI site though to be safe.

Thank you, all of you guys. Appreciate all the help. If I'm being honest, I think I was ooverly nervous for no reason. It was ridiculously easy to do. The only hard bit was getting the LP bracket on.

edit: Windows assessment score gave it 3.0 before on account of the graphics card being so shit. I now get a score of 4.9 on account of my CPU being shit. I guess I know what to change next. Graphics card now is 6.8

Big Classy on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ATI releases a new driver package + CCC every month. And considering how HD5xxx cards are still relatively recent, often the new drive suite will increase performance notably and fix many bugs. I religiously update my drivers every month. You don't even need to do the whole "uninstall the old drivers, reboot on safe mode, run Driver Cleaner, reboot, install new drivers" shit. Just double click the Catalyst exe and it does everything without reboots.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm shocked at how easy it is. Also, the temperature, it be high D:
    Well high enough to make the outside of the case get really, really hot. That was after 20 minutes of Just Cause 2. Downloaded speedfan now and I'm gonna leave that running whilst I give the demo another shot to see what sorta temp I'm looking at.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if you want, you could try baking your old card in an oven at ~370 (if i remember right, 364 is the melting point for solder) for 10 minutes, your problem might just be a cracked solder joint.

Feldorn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nah, i got a new one now so theres not much point in going through the hassle.

Just played a little hitman Blood money, got a max temp of 67C. That was after around 30 mins to half an hour.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Since I didn't wanna start a new thread, what can I possibly do if the signal from the ports on my graphics card aren't working, but the monitor works fine, and the graphics cards fan is still running?

anyone knows something about that or needs more info, would you kindly pm me or some such.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All ports?

I once had a card that it's VGA port died, but the DVI still functioned and used that card until I upgraded like a year later.

If both ports are screwed, then I guess you're screwed. :(

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, a problem with the actual outputs is really rare. I think you're in trouble.

Uh....this'll sound stupid, but make sure the ports are free of obstructions? I guess some very fine foreign matter could get into the holes. Are you on DVI, D-sub, etc.?

EDIT: Er, also, make sure there are no voltage problems? I could be misunderstanding you, but it kind of sounds like you're certain that your monitor is not having problems, but the only thing you're certain of on my GPU itself is that the fan is running.

Synthesis on