As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Naughty Bear: Manhunt, with teddy bears.

DunxcoDunxco Should get a suitNever skips breakfastRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Naughty-Bear.jpg

Who's this? Oh look, it's Naughty Bear! Hello Naughty Bear! You're look rather... Sociopathic today, how wonderful for you! Gosh, Naughty, I wonder just how much of a messed-up piece of work you really are? There must be a reason you're called Naughty Bear after all, isn't there?

... Naughty? Naughty Bear, what are you doing with that machete? Now hang on Naughty Bear, I don't think stabbing that through Giggles' face would be a very nice thing to do - all his stuffing would come out, and the other bears would be very upset. You'd get in a lot of trouble for it!

Go ahead and do it anyway though, Naughty Bear!

Naughty Bear

So just what the hell is this anyway?

Naughty Bear is an upcoming action-adventure game developed by Artificial Mind & Movement, or A2M, who are responsible for... a lot of television/movie tie-ins, ports, and WET. Based on the antics of the eponymous bear in question, apparently he's been up to a whole bunch of trouble lately on his idyllic island, where he lives with all the other bears, and was considered so naughty that he wasn't invited to Daddles' birthday party. Taking this as the last straw, Naughty Bear decides to get revenge. And by revenge I don't mean this:
0.jpg

I mean, more along these lines (yay, screenshot dump!)
naughtybear1.jpg
NB2W.jpg
naughty-bear-review-ps3-xbox-360-2.jpg
naughty-bear-xbox-360-ps3-1.jpg

That looks pretty funny, but what's the gist of the gameplay?

Playing as Naughty Bear, it's your job to lure and trick the other bears of the island, leading them along a slippery slope to their eventual, fluff-gorged demise. Sort of like in Manhunt. The more mischevious, violent, inventive and downright bad Naughty Bear is, the more Naughty Points you accumulate, allowing you to turn being naughty into an art form, just before you rip a bear clean in two, letting the fluff spray everywhere and watching stitches fly across the room. Possibly a button eye might land in someone's milkshake. Naughty Points can be updated in real-time to an online leaderboard, if that's your thing. This is a revenge story of the fluffiest kind.

Give me the low-down on what's being offered, because I'm a bear in a hurry.

The AI of the other bears is allegedly getting a lot of work: As Naughty Bear spirals more and more out of control, the other bears will form gangs to try and take you down and end your tyrannical spree. There's also reports of a teddy-like police force known as "The Fuzz" who'll be after you the naughtier you become.

There's also going to be online modes: Capture the Flag, King of the Hill and Search & Destroy have been mentioned. Depending on player actions, NPC bears may end up tampering with the objective of the multiplayer, or they might even join you and you can become the most adorable, fluffy violent mob. D'awww.

The single player mode will be getting a lot of love: Promising around 30 environments, and unlockable weaponry. Machetes, axes, shotguns, six-shooters, clubs have all been spied in screenshots.

Sounds good. Got a release date for us?

June 8th, 2010, coming out for both Xbox 360 and PS3. U.K. players might be able to get their paws on it as early as June 4th. Pre-orders with GAME will allow you to unlock two unique outfits for Naughty Bear - Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees.

Got Trailers, box art, and links?

Damn right I do. Have some box art:
naughtybear.jpg
naughtyb.jpg

And here are two teaser trailers, to help set the mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtcrG33fdHk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iAs20eNiCM&feature=channel

Dunxco on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man

I hated WET

And this doesn't look good

But it seems right up my alley for some reason

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, this looks like the sort of thing that could be some goofy fun, but at the same time anything that comes from a company whose track record is "a bunch of tie-ins and Wet" deserves a weighty dose of skepticism.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To be honest, I saw an ad for this at my local Game store yesterday, and thought it looked like a whole lot of shits and giggles. The concept sounds promising but the lack of gameplay footage is hampering it a bit. Then I saw who made it and my heart sank a little, but I will be eagerly awaiting a demo to give it a proper go.

Plus, when was the last time any of us got to shove a teddy bear's face in a barbeque grill? :D

Dunxco on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Gameplay looks very suspect, which is a shame, as I like the concept.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Count me in for "pretty sure it's gonna be a bad game"

However

Those trailers were pretty funny, especially number 2

Rent on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's a fresh idea, and could be fun if executed well. Don't know why you already call it a "bad game".

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's a fresh idea, and could be fun if executed well. Don't know why you already call it a "bad game".

Cuddly animals killing the shit out of each other in a vidjagame is pretty much the antithesis of "fresh"

Rent on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I predict horrible execution that will take serious effort to tolerate but in the end, it will be a damn funny idea whose kill videos will prove to be quite hilarious on youtube when some kid looks up teddy bear.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rent wrote: »

Cuddly animals killing the shit out of each other in a vidjagame is pretty much the antithesis of "fresh"

Re: Fairytale Fights.

A friend of mine is expecting this to be one of those cult favourites. It looks bad, but will actually play very well and have a small but dedicated community of fans.

I'm rather on the fence about this one myself. Mostly cause I'm a big softie. Poor teddy bears. :(

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It does look funny, and I actually didn't think Wet was that bad, so I'll play it.

But I will be in no hurry to do so.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Playing as Naughty Bear, it's your job to lure and trick the other bears of the island, leading them along a slippery slope to their eventual, fluff-gorged demise.

I haven't played anything like that before. At least it doesn't sound like you are running around murdering teddy bears in broad day light.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Playing as Naughty Bear, it's your job to lure and trick the other bears of the island, leading them along a slippery slope to their eventual, fluff-gorged demise.

I haven't played anything like that before. At least it doesn't sound like you are running around murdering teddy bears in broad day light.
    Pretty much games in the style of Dungeon Keeper and the series where you lure people to a dungeon to kill.

Cute brutality is old hat and is barely funny unless there is a shtick nowadays.

Couscous on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

Pretty much games in the style of Dungeon Keep and the series where you lure people to a dungeon to kill.

Cute brutality is old hat and is bearly funny unless there is a shtick nowadays;.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This game does what Wet did not, though, and is going to be somewhat cheaper on release.

edit: With that in mind, I'm not getting this game. I don't care for Happy Tree Friend bullshit.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The description sorta made me think of GTA5: Carebear Land.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This game was made for rentin', and that's just what I'll do.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is delightfully fun. Score based tho, and it compares your score against global high scores and your friends scores off xbox live.

I got 1.5 million points on the second level on my first go, was heaps of fun.

HardKase on
    Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So much score-based madness. So much score-based madness.

Jintor on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, this looks like its worth putting on my gamefly queue for a rainy day.

Arrath on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Gosh, I'd hate for my company's shortened name to be ass to mouth.

So this is out?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fail for not including the Jaws trailer in the OP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIZzCiAGz-k&hd=1

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166