As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fucked up USB ports.

Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
Godammit.

Ok.

My USB ports are being fucked up, i'd appreciate some help with this shit. I've been putting up with it for a while now, but i've recently tried updating my PSP and putting some stuff on there but i can't do it because of this stupid fucked up godamn USB problem.

I am on XP.

My keyboard? USB. - working (obviously)

My mouse? USB. - working

My wacom tablet? USB -working

My scanner - ... it gets detected as a scanner, but it will not work. In device manager, its there under USB connections but it has a giant ? on it with an exclamation mark. (and i cant get any work done without this)

My Webcam? USB - Worked for a while, but now has the same problem as my Scanner. It lights up and everything, but just does not work as a webcam

My PSP - same as the above.

The PSP however should just work as a mass storage device, however XP keeps asking me for drivers, and when i dont have any, "OOP. NOPE. SORRY. NO WORKY WORKY FOR YOU"

plug and play my ass.

I don't know where else to turn, help me PA G&T.

p.s all my shit works on my bro's computer, just not this one.

Automasig.jpg
Bacon-BuTTy on

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are you using a USB hub? If so is it mains-assisted for power? If it's not mains assisted does it have a socket for a mains lead? I had a similar problem with my USB hub when it had too much plugged in to it to draw power from the PC. Windows usually informs you of that sort of thing, though.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I had something similar to this happen to me once, and I swear to god, all I did was open up the PC, spray some compressed air around, and poof it functioned again.

However, your problem seems somewhat more complex, and is probably not related to a hardware issue.

I would suggest switching around which usb ports you plug things into, if that fixes it, you know it's hardware.

Otherwise, try re-installing your USB 2.0 drivers. Normally you would never have to do this, but they may have become corrupted somehow. Most people don't know that there actually are drivers for USB.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Disconect all the USB devices you can and go into your device manager and uninstall all the "USB root hubs" you see starting from the bottom and than restart your computer. Your mouse might stop working, so have a PS/2 one hanging around, or you can just punch your power button.

After the reboot, you will see a "found new hardware" bubble pop up at the bottom of your screen and it will reinstall all of your USB drivers. Than plus eveything back in.

The reason for this is that your USB drivers will become corrupt over time and removing and reinstalling than will usually fix this issue.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    That_Guy wrote:
    Disconect all the USB devices you can and go into your device manager and uninstall all the "USB root hubs" you see starting from the bottom and than restart your computer. Your mouse might stop working, so have a PS/2 one hanging around, or you can just punch your power button.

After the reboot, you will see a "found new hardware" bubble pop up at the bottom of your screen and it will reinstall all of your USB drivers. Than plus eveything back in.

The reason for this is that your USB drivers will become corrupt over time and removing and reinstalling than will usually fix this issue.

I tried all of these solutions, and then this last one.

Apon re-starting, windows asked me for drivers for all of my stuff. It didnt re-install my USB drivers atall. And now i have no USB whatsoever.

I can't install my broadband modem driver (it's USB) because it will not recognise it when i am told to plug it in. It lights up to show that there is power to it, but it doesn't recognise it as a fucking modem.

Now i am totally fucked.

No internet on my main comnputer.

Aaahhhhhhhhggg

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I used to have problems with my last computer when I tried to plug in all my usb devices at once. Keeping it to whichever ones I actually needed got around the problem.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oh god this is like the most annoying problem ever.

it can't possibly be hardware because its powering stuff.

it's like my computer is just retarded.

Someone must have a solution.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    jivedansonjivedanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Boot up in Safe Mode (F8 upon startup) and go into Device Manager. Remove everything even remotely USB-related. You may see more items listed than previously showed up during regular boot in DM.

Reboot your computer--Windows should recognize that the computer has USB ports whether anything is plugged in or not, and reinstall all drivers. Have your Windows CD handy if requested during driver reinstall.

If it doesn't do this, try repairing your Windows install by booting up w/ your Windows CD and repairing the installation.

Failing that... we start moving into the realm of you being extremely boned. You could do a total reformatting and reinstalling of your O/S, test out an expansion PCI USB card, or look into replacing your motherboard... none of which are really fun.

jivedanson on
    Wii: 4407 5109 2137 5400
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I rolled back, so i have internet again, and the limited functionality i had before. (KB&M)

I lost my windows CD so i am going to re-install windows when i get a new copy, or Vista.

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg