As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Craigslist for finding a job

zktzkt Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Has anyone ever used Craigslist for finding work? It seems to me it is 80% bots. The very few times I'll get a reply it'll be some crap about doing an interview over Yahoo messenger, or to join some shady job search website.

zkt on

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've gotten a couple of art commissions through craigslist. That's about it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Better checking workopolis or monster if you have em.

I'm canadian so I'm not sure if you've got the same sites.

Sipex on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I originally got a Microsoft game testing job through Craigslist.

Slider on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't used Craigslist to find work, but all our hires from the past 7 years have been from either posting positions there or recommendations from existing employees.

Djeet on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got my first job in Dallas via craigslist, but that was in 2006. I am led to believe that things have gone pretty downhill over the past few years.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Found my job via CL last year. Probably depends on the area (some places use other services) and on the type of job listed.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Got my job in a law office in Los Angeles through Craigslist in 2007. Helped another guy get a job in LA as a chef last month.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mr Blonde wrote: »
    Got my job in a law office in Los Angeles through Craigslist in 2007. Helped another guy get a job in LA as a chef last month.

It definitely helps searching in the career-specific areas, I think the legal sections are fairly devoid of the "omg great job, work from home" stuff that you find in the sales/customer support areas.

John Matrix on
  • Options
    PooshlmerPooshlmer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got my job through Craiglist, in San Francisco in 2008.

Pooshlmer on
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got my job through craigslist just over 6 months ago. It is a CSR job but I still have a blast with it. Jobs can be found on there, so don't be discouraged.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It really depends on your line of work and location. I've had some success with looking for a job on Craigslist. It also helps to know how to spot a scam or bot when you see them.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What kind of work are you looking for? I've found lots of service industry jobs on there.

Esh on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Found my current job via Craigslist. That was about 3 years ago though, so who knows now.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've found craigslist to be pretty good for paralegal and admin assistant work (although a lot of the ads in the admin section are from temp agencies in disguise).

Anything calling itself "sports marketing" on craigslist is almost certainly a scam, though.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    What kind of work are you looking for? I've found lots of service industry jobs on there.

General office work for a small to mid sized business.

zkt on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    zkt wrote: »

You might try temp agencies. Often those jobs will lead to full time permanent work.

Esh on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah. If all you want is generic office work then a temp agency is probably the way to go.
    You just need to send your resume to more than one.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

You might try temp agencies. Often those jobs will lead to full time permanent work.

My experience with staffing companies thus far has been unsatisfactory, to say the least..how does a temp agency differ?

zkt on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

My experience with staffing companies thus far has been unsatisfactory, to say the least..how does a temp agency differ?

They're generally focused directly on office work.

Esh on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been using Craigslist and have found that people will generally answer your questions.

The rule of thumb is to flag if there is any of the following:

- No company name
    - No stated salary
    - Asking for a photo
    - No job description

Now, over the past few days, I've found some jobs that have fit into the first 2 categories -- so in both cases, I emailed them. I got very polite replies that were understanding as to the nature of Craigslist.

If you don't get a response within a day and see the ad again, flag it. FLAG IT HARD.

RE: Staffing agencies / temp agencies.

i started out as a 4 week temp and got hired on now past 6 years. They can be good. They can also be terrible. Friends of mine have been sent to crappy jobs for a week for 15/h, then called on Monday morning and told "job's over, don't go in today, we'll call you when we get another job for you", to never hear from them again.

mully on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mully wrote: »
    I've been using Craigslist and have found that people will generally answer your questions.

- No company name
    - No stated salary
    - Asking for a photo
    - No job description

Now, over the past few days, I've found some jobs that have fit into the first 2 categories -- so in both cases, I emailed them. I got very polite replies that were understanding as to the nature of Craigslist.

If you don't get a response within a day and see the ad again, flag it. FLAG IT HARD.

i started out as a 4 week temp and got hired on now past 6 years. They can be good. They can also be terrible. Friends of mine have been sent to crappy jobs for a week for 15/h, then called on Monday morning and told "job's over, don't go in today, we'll call you when we get another job for you", to never hear from them again.

I don't see why that's terrible. It's called a temp agency for a reason.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mully wrote: »

- No company name
    - No stated salary
    - Asking for a photo
    - No job description

I don't see why that's terrible. It's called a temp agency for a reason.

I got a job from one temp agency that told me I'd be doing office work in a physical therapy office. They neglected to mention that it was inside a mental hospital for the homeless. Someone took a dump next to my car. Someone took a dump in the middle of the floor. Puddles of urine everywhere. Cockroaches too. Plus no employee only bathroom, you had to share one with the patients. Didn't last too long there.

I have gotten some decent temp work from temp agencies though.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I guess my next step is to find a temp agency

zkt on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    found my 1st job out of college via craigslist - although i agree, it's a total crap shoot

illig on
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Not worth the time investment because there won't be many leads worth pursuing.

If you want some good job hunting advice, buy "What Color Is Your Parachute?". It's updated every year and has fantastic methods that are backed by statistical success rates.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

If you want some good job hunting advice, buy "What Color Is Your Parachute?". It's updated every year and has fantastic methods that are backed by statistical success rates.

Yes, because emailing a resume is so time consuming.

Like myself and others have said, you can find jobs on there.

Esh on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I found my current job on CL a year and a half ago. I also sent emails to 15 or so places a day for about 3 weeks before I got an interview. If you're looking for work it's a pretty good way to spend an hour and a half of your morning/evening.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Got my temp position, that went to full time, from Craigslist. I had far better luck with Craigslist than I did with Monster. CareerBuilder was a little better.

I recommend making a list of companies in your area and just check their job postings directly at their site everyday.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Whats the best way for finding a temp position then? Im in chicagoland and have delt with a few agencies already, a few have said they'd contact me when they have something for me and Ive never heard from them again.

zkt on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Whats the best way for finding a temp position then? Im in chicagoland and have delt with a few agencies already, a few have said they'd contact me when they have something for me and Ive never heard from them again.

From my experience, you need to keep calling them every week saying you're still available to work and ask if they have any openings. You need to be proactive as I'm sure they have huge lists of people looking for work. Make yourself stand out.

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Except you don't just email a resume. You also have to customize it for the job, and include a cover letter. These things take a lot of time.

For each job, you're looking at probably at least a 1 hour time investment (if you want to do it right). So why not use that investment to apply to positions in companies that have a much higher chance of getting back to you, using methods that maximize your chances?

Once companies start posting job ads on CL, that means they are scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point. It means all their regular methods of finding hires (internally, through networks, through career fairs, etc.) have failed. The problem is that the bottom of the barrel in this case is very, very crowded and it is very difficult to stand out among all the hundreds if not thousands of other applicants.

You can test this theory by creating a fake job posting on CL. Within the hour I guarantee that your inbox will be full regardless of the nature of the job. If it sounds even semi-legitimate, expect several hundred applications.

And, honestly, there will ALWAYS be people who say "oh yeah you're totally right, I found my current job through CL" but the fact is, that's just anecdotal evidence. When you look at statistics, it is very easy to see that CL is an absolute waste of time.

One last thing I should mention: the shotgun approach is terrible in general when it comes to job-hunting, because the low response rate can completely kill a person's hopes and motivation. You know the number one reason unemployed people stop looking for jobs? Because they use the wrong methods, never receive any replies, and then lose confidence and motivation and give up.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I filled out three online applications, got one two-part interview, and probably got the job. I think I spent an hour filling out that application.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    I filled out three online applications, got one two-part interview, and probably got the job. I think I spent an hour filling out that application.
    that's just anecdotal evidence.

I know someone who got a job by wearing a cardboard costume with his resume written on it, and it took him less than one hour waiting on a busy street corner in downtown. Does this mean you should do it?

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    that's just anecdotal evidence.

I know someone who got a job by wearing a cardboard costume with his resume written on it, and it took him less than one hour waiting on a busy street corner in downtown. Does this mean you should do it?

Absolutely!

And I was agreeing with you.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay, sorry, that wasn't immediately clear. I thought by "online application" you meant CL for some reason. :)

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay, sorry, that wasn't immediately clear. I thought by "online application" you meant CL for some reason. :)

Nah, I meant the apps most big companies use nowadays. I did Tractor Supply, Target, and Home Depot. Target called me 24 hours after applying.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Craigslist really isn't any worse than newspaper want ads.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Except you don't just email a resume. You also have to customize it for the job, and include a cover letter. These things take a lot of time.

It takes about 15 minutes to customize a cover letter to a particular company and if you're applying for a specific type of position, you don't have to change your resume at all.

Sure, it's antecdotal evidence, but it's overwhelmingly positive and it takes little to no effort to apply on Craigslist.

As for "bottom of the barrel", that's complete bullshit. I know plenty of successful businesses that hire through Craigslist. Many businesses don't like to hire/promote from within or through networks. I'm not sure if you got scammed on Craiglist or what it is that makes you so bitter towards it, but it's a very valuable tool.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Sure, it's antecdotal evidence, but it's overwhelmingly positive and it takes little to no effort to apply on Craigslist.

The fact that it is anecdotal invalidates it automatically. Yours may be overwhelmingly positive, but many people's are overwhelmingly negative. Buy that book and look at the statistics inside it because that's the only way to get an objective view.
    I know plenty of successful businesses that hire through Craigslist. Many businesses don't like to hire/promote from within or through networks.

Look, you are talking out of your ass again like you do in every other H/A thread. This is complete and total horseshit. The only companies that do not prefer hiring from within or through networks first and foremost are those that don't have capable enough employees or networks. Why would anyone want to work for such companies?

You can talk to every single HR department and they will tell you how disgusted they are when they have to resort to posting online job ads. The reason is simple: opening the job posting to complete strangers in environments where there is no pre-screening sucks. Whereas when you hire from within you already know that person, and when you rely on networks (friends of current employers) then you have at least some confidence in that applicant.
    I'm not sure if you got scammed on Craiglist or what it is that makes you so bitter towards it, but it's a very valuable tool.

It's not based on personal experience. The difference between you and me is that I base my opinions on empirical evidence, whereas you base yours on your confirmation bias.

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Once companies start posting job ads on CL, that means they are scraping the bottom of the barrel at that point.

That's a load of crap. It just means a company decided to use CL: that's it. You can speculate as to why they might have chosen it, but you can get quality applicants through craigslist. Some of my best workers are from CL. Our last VP of Engineering was hired though CL, that was a 6 figure position.
    It means all their regular methods of finding hires (internally, through networks, through career fairs, etc.) have failed.

There may some truth here, most of the applicants from recruiters or staffing firms we used were either crap or poor fits, so we include CL postings.

Djeet on