As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alternative To Box-Springs

An-DAn-D EnthusiastAshevilleRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I have a full-sized bed that I just pulled out of storage (my last apartment was fully furnished, so I didn't need it). I have run into a kind of issue though. During my move into the storage unit/furnished apartment last year, the box-springs that came with my mattress/bed got destroyed (it was raining, they weren't tied on right, fell off car into ditch. Destroyed).

Now, I'm sleeping on my mattress straight on the bed-frame. Needless to say, it is not comfortable.

Obviously, I should get new box-springs ($100-$120 each, probably), but in a few months, I'm going to be going to China and I'm not taking the bed with me. So, spending that money for something that I'm going to use for a few months and than store again seems kind of...useless and a waste.

Anyone have any ideas for a cheap alternative to a box-spring deal? I'm thinking of just getting a big back-board or something. Lining it with something soft maybe?

Or am I crazy and should I just spend my precious birthday money and get a new set of box-springs?

An-D on

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Put the matress on the floor.

Call it done.

I actually prefer a matress on the floor now having used one for a long time due to damaged box springs, it doesn't groan or creak and is a nice large uniform surface.

Also, it's free.

I doubt I ever own a "proper" bed again.

dispatch.o on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Floor

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • hesthefastesthesthefastest Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thrift Store = cheap boxsprings
    Also, you could donate it back and just think of it as donating to a charity for renting a boxspring.

hesthefastest on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Agreeing with the floor suggestion -- I spent 3 years sleeping with my mattress on the floor.

HOWEVER, I also doubled-up mattresses, one on top of the other, and that was waaaay more comfortable, so if you've a spare same-sized mattress anywhere, try that.

Sheri on
  • Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I slept with my bed on the floor for about a year, I hated it. It may have just been me but I felt that my bed was constantly dirty even if I had just washed the sheets, so you may or may not like the whole floor path.

Ziac45 on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Floor. You also have the bonus of sexy-time not rattling the bed frame against the wall.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition