As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animated Film Identification

DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's DaughterIn love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I've run out of options and I've seen you guys do an impressive job identifying things with little information so here it goes.

When I was a wee young lad my mom rented this animated film a few a times. All I can remember now is that there was maybe some kind of war going on and there were people that rode around on two legged bird/monster things and they wore gas mask kind of things. The mounts had bodies like the weird things that Abe rides in Abe's Oddworld. It was probably rated R as I remember a lot of cursing and some violence. It was probably very early 90s when I saw it.

So... can anyone identify this mystery movie?

DemonStacey on

• Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anime or what? The gas masks remind me of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind but I don't recall the bird mounts.

Underdog on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I was reminded of Nausicaa as well (I think there are bird mounts in it), but there wasn't a lot of cursing in it, was there?

Daemon, if you remember the style of the art, it would make things easier.

Tam on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wizards? It's got the weird 2-legged things, gas masks, cursing, probably some animated nudity, and live-action clips of nazi's for fun. Ralph Bakshi is a weird guy...

Daenris on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dammit. Someone beat me to wizards.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daenris wrote: »
    Wizards? It's got the weird 2-legged things, gas masks, cursing, probably some animated nudity, and live-action clips of nazi's for fun. Ralph Bakshi is a weird guy...

I could see the cover, but I couldn't remember the name. I've never watched it, but I've heard a lot about it.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    nudity you say

Tam on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nausicaa does indeed have bird mounts. Do these look right?
    vlcsnap2010051921h03m52.jpg

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daenris wrote: »

Hot damn I knew you guys were good at this. That's the one!!

Thanks everyone for helping! I made sure to mention the rated R part because I knew people would mention Nausicaa.

Anywho, thanks again!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    LeinnaLeinna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My dad got Wizards out for us when I was about 8. I don't think I was QUITE old enough to watch it then :S

Leinna on
  • Options
    ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is just really bizarre. I just remembered this movie a few days ago after watching it like 20 years ago and searched for ages to identify it. Like Leinna I don't think I was anywhere near old enough to actually understand what it was about. My main memory was that it was the first time I heard the expression "son of a bitch".

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zedar wrote: »
    This is just really bizarre. I just remembered this movie a few days ago after watching it like 20 years ago and searched for ages to identify it. Like Leinna I don't think I was anywhere near old enough to actually understand what it was about. My main memory was that it was the first time I heard the expression "son of a bitch".

Seems like that was everyone's experience! I was in Kindergarten when I first saw it.

DemonStacey on