As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 YLOD: Now what? [SOLVED]

Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So, it died. I had an overheat last thursday and the PS3 shut itself off and refused to turn back on. So I've had it unplugged since then. This afternoon, I plugged it back in, turned it on, hit power. Light turned green, beeped, flashed Yellow and then shut off with a blinking red light. So, my question is, now what?

I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty, since I bought it two years ago (January of 08). It's an 80 Gig Model with BC (Motorstorm Bundle). 3D Dot Game Heroes is still in it, and, y'know, I would like that back. I'm not keen on the idea of sending it to Sony, if they'd even take it, since I don't have the money for the "repairs" (get my goddamn disk out of it), and I (thankfully) might be able to get my hands on a new one anyway from a family member.

I've not backed it up, and, last I checked, that means I'm pretty screwed as far as my saves goes, right?

Really, I just want to know A) If there's any sort of thing I can do to make my 3D Dot disk come out and B) If there's absolutely -any- way I can get access to my HDD in it. I'm sure I could think of the answers, but I just don't really want to think that my shit is gone without asking.

So, thanks in advance for any help.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
Darth_Mogs on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can certainly get your disc out by taking the console apart, but kiss your warranty goodbye.

Sony won't repair it, either, but I hear they're pretty worthless anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    bsjezz wrote: »

Well, yeah, but I was under the impression that I can't get the information off of it, even if I pulled it out, considering if I tried putting it in another PS3, it'll have to reformat it.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    www.psr1.com

Recently used these guys, and it's legit. Very easy, took about 1.5 or 2 weeks turn around time once I sent my machine out.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have the same problem. I took it apart when it was turning itself off Saturdayish. I was hoping it was just dust... there was almost none. I put it back together and then I get YLOD today after 10 minutes.

I've seen a bunch of YouTube videos with those heat guns but I understand they're only temporary fixes that last a few months. Hell, one of the guys started off the video saying "This is the second time I've done it, the first time being two months ago..."

I don't think I can do that every 8 weeks.

I hear that not all Sony repairs last long, and their warranty is (conveniently) only 90 days. There's a site called www.videogame911.com that offers to repair PS3's for cheaper and have a shorter turnaround period. Anyone heard anything about videogame911? Are any of these fixes permanent or are they all temporary (including sending them in to get fixed)?

Black Ice on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, I just found out that apparently I am sending my console to Sony. It wasn't my idea but I'm not footing the bill (which was less than I thought, anyways), so I guess I can't really complain. Box is on the way, sometime soon.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I didn't know about this when I made the thread.

Darth_Mogs on