As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My hard drive and the activity within

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
So we all know how to judge HDD activity (the little blinky light on PCs) but my question is more specific; how do I track which applications are reading/writing to the hdd?

Recently I've been noticing some long lag times after a recent restart when the PC is largely unresponsive and videos lag. I want to track what's constantly using my hardware

1ddqd on

• Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Process Monitor is basically the best way to get a hold of what your computer is doing. This program will spit out a new line for each different file/registry access, and you'll see over 1,000 lines per second the program is capturing data. You can use filters to help narrow it down.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You didn't mention your OS (which would help), but if you have Win7, or probably Vista, Resource Monitor can sort processes by disk activity (bytes or requests/sec, etc)

Dedian on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have Vista64 - didn't know about Resource Monitor. Wherein can I find this magical program?

1ddqd on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    through task manager.

Big Classy on