As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Citys (and towns, hamlets...) Post them

1235»

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    linksword wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Man, Denver is awesome. Good food, good beer, good weather. One of the fittest cities in the country. I love it here.

We don't need a luxurious skyline. We have the cash-register building.

Good weather?! pfft. it snows half the year here.

Although I do like it a bit more in the summer. There is some really cool stuff here, like Red Rocks and the airport, but it's still so mediocre...
    CycloneRanger is right though, being so close to the mountains is pretty cool.

But summers are incredible. I can't deal with heat. I moved to Lake Havasu two years ago and promptly moved back.

As for it being "so mediocre," to each his own I suppose. Unless I have a chance to live in, say, Europe for a few years, or the Mediterranean or something, I don't think I could live anywhere else.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man, Canada's Wonderland. I go there once or twice a year.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    shryke wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Somebody needs to post Boston city hall. That someone... is me.

I dare all of you to find an uglier building.
    800px-03-30-07-BostonCityHall.jpg

Challenge accepted:
    3213439298_dddfee1966.jpg

Challenge won:
    3498508184_5ca8577a24.jpg

There's actually an even uglier building on campus, but I can't remember the name of it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    That building almost looks like the Simpsons' school.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    my dad works at the good samaritan in brockton

i spent most of my youth in north easton

it was pretty pleasant

though i only went to school there through second grade, because i was a crazy ADD child so my parents felt private school would be better for me

but i lived there until 9th grade

though when i was a baby my parents lived in an apartment in quincy

You went to either Xavarian Bros. or Bishop Feehan.

And next time I need to go to Good Samaritan, I'll ask for "Shaz's dad"

My bf and his brother went to Xavarian.

podly went there ..o.o

uhh i went to DCD from 3-8th and noble and greenough for hs

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    my dad works at the good samaritan in brockton

i spent most of my youth in north easton

it was pretty pleasant

though i only went to school there through second grade, because i was a crazy ADD child so my parents felt private school would be better for me

but i lived there until 9th grade

though when i was a baby my parents lived in an apartment in quincy

You went to either Xavarian Bros. or Bishop Feehan.

And next time I need to go to Good Samaritan, I'll ask for "Shaz's dad"

My bf and his brother went to Xavarian.

podly went there :o

uhh i went to DCD from 3-8th and noble and greenough for hs

I've never even heard of those. I'm surprised, most private school kids from our area wound up going to either one of those two. Even the non-catholics.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Challenge accepted:

Challenge won:

There's actually an even uglier building on campus, but I can't remember the name of it.

Bullshit. I reopen the challenge:
    Reid Hall, a classroom building in my old city (MSU - Bozeman, MT).

reid.jpg

Ah, Reid Hall. Only you can combine the flat brick look one might expect of a bunker or prison, with the crappy 60's-style tiled windows and entryway one expects of...well, of shitty college buildings built in the 60's (actually 1959...it was ahead of its time).

Reid%20Hall%202.JPG

Ah, nothing breaks up the green spaces and charming 19th century architecture of our campus like your forboding empty brick exterior, featuring nothing but a door to invite students into your hateful belly. Inside? Oh, inside you'll find puke-yellow tile, puke-yellow and puke-green chairs, delapitated desks, bare cement, and urinals that look like some kind of post-modern art (no, really, if they weren't in a line in a men's room I wouldn't know what the fuck they were).

Oh, and no building is complete without the vertical slabs of cement jutting out. Classy.

ReidHall%20Ladder%20Windows.jpg

The beautiful stairwell window. Something about this just says "I want to spend my entire day in this building. Then kill myself."

Reid%20Hall%2009.JPG

You're drab. You're outdated. You're run-down inside and out. You were ugly when you were built, and now you're both ugly and antiquated. Someday you'll be demolished, and nobody will care.

These pictures don't really do it justice. It's actually much uglier in person. There's actually a whole 'nother wing not even pictured. It's like they were trying to combine every kind of terrible style in one building...and they did it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That looks like the formerly third ugliest building on Michigan's campus. Fortunately, it was finally knocked down.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    You guys think you have it tough driving? Massachusetts has rotaries that exit onto other rotaries, and short bridges with five way intersections on either end. This one rotary has two of the state's most dangerous intersection.

Our other insane intersections include
    EL%20Rotary.jpg
    and
    intersection_a.jpg

Now, Newton used to look like this:
    i0001.jpg
    Looked like this for most of my life and that of my mom's (a native):
    41.3.1_800.jpg
    and now looks something like this:
    asian_girl.jpg

On behalf of Waltham, my college town, I am forced to say "you call that a castle? This is a castle."
    MCS_4437_1-232x350.jpg

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    While I've already posted for my sort of home town and London has been done, I feel it necessary to post some shots from Wellington, NZ. I lived there for five or so years during university and also worked there. It is basically the NZ city I most like and the one I want to move back to when I'm done with Europa

The harbour
    45792-Wellington_Harbour-Wellington_Region.jpg
    %7B1F8FF4C0%2DD089%2D442D%2DAB80%2D64C4BCB62876%7D%2EJPG
    wellington-harbour_1946.jpg
    p1291gns.jpg
    3tgk0yhe.jpg

Victoria, University of Wellington Law School - and the largest wooden neo Classical building in the Southern Hemisphere. I spent several years there and while the schooling experience was average to good, the building was simply amazing
    lawbuilding.jpg
    3822823052_4d342cd8fe.jpg

Parliament!
    beehive.jpg
    The_Beehive_Wellington_NZ_3.jpg
    That image was from David Icke's forums! Apparently it is a Masonic symbol?
    images%3Fq%3Dparliament%2Bbuildings,%2Bwellington%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1

Kelburn - the suburb I lived in for 5 years
    3980008-Cable_Car_Waterfront_View_from_Kelburn-Wellington.jpg
    2077709434_441cbe1d52.jpg
    1201954_d7bb7faa3f.jpg
    07NZ_6079_80pancrop_Wellington.jpg

Random coastal shots
    wellington-nz224.jpg
    9.jpg
    532665040_e6e62b6dc9.jpg?v=0
    Somes_Island_from_Normandale.jpg

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Where I will be living come fall for two years to complete my second degree.

Lethbridge, AB, Canada. How quaint. How Canadian prairie chic.

The skyline from the university side of town.

What this thread makes me realize is that I go from living in one shithole to living in another shithole while others here live in the some of the most beautiful, important, cosmopolitan cities in the world.

*grin* hey! I'm from Lethbridge. I was wondering where I'd dig up pictures to show people but you did the work for me.

Yep, Lethbridge looks like that. Maybe more brown, on average.

On the plus side, Lethbridge is probably the nicest place to live in Alberta. Very liberal (especially among students and the 30-and-under crowd) for Alberta, which makes it a lot more tolerable. I find it's way, way too hot, though. But the best part of Lethbridge IMO is that it's only an hour and a half away from the mountains. Or maybe it's that it's near BC and SK, which I happen to enjoy a lot more. And it's near Montana too, which is another pretty place to visit.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    mcdermott wrote: »

Challenge accepted:

Challenge won:

Bullshit. I reopen the challenge:
    Reid Hall, a classroom building in my old city (MSU - Bozeman, MT).

reid.jpg

Ah, Reid Hall. Only you can combine the flat brick look one might expect of a bunker or prison, with the crappy 60's-style tiled windows and entryway one expects of...well, of shitty college buildings built in the 60's (actually 1959...it was ahead of its time).

Reid%20Hall%202.JPG

Ah, nothing breaks up the green spaces and charming 19th century architecture of our campus like your forboding empty brick exterior, featuring nothing but a door to invite students into your hateful belly. Inside? Oh, inside you'll find puke-yellow tile, puke-yellow and puke-green chairs, delapitated desks, bare cement, and urinals that look like some kind of post-modern art (no, really, if they weren't in a line in a men's room I wouldn't know what the fuck they were).

Oh, and no building is complete without the vertical slabs of cement jutting out. Classy.

ReidHall%20Ladder%20Windows.jpg

The beautiful stairwell window. Something about this just says "I want to spend my entire day in this building. Then kill myself."

Reid%20Hall%2009.JPG

You're drab. You're outdated. You're run-down inside and out. You were ugly when you were built, and now you're both ugly and antiquated. Someday you'll be demolished, and nobody will care.

These pictures don't really do it justice. It's actually much uglier in person. There's actually a whole 'nother wing not even pictured. It's like they were trying to combine every kind of terrible style in one building...and they did it.

I think you're underestimating this building. For example, it is tastefully accented by a giant wasteland, which the architect hoped would attract people to the building by allowing the wind to build up to the point that people cannot leave:
    800px-3952794823_CityHallPlaza_Boston_1973.jpg

And that's still the most photogenic side. Here are some of the others:
    800px-1981_BostonCityHall_byLebovich4_HABS_MA1176.jpg
    800px-Boston_City_Hall_2004.jpg
    536px-Boston_City_Hall_Side_View.jpg

And you can't forget the beautiful interior:
    800px-1981_BostonCityHall_byLebovich12_HABS_MA1176.jpg

Of course, there's also a slightly more "eccentric" building:
    2509942921_438c18af49.jpg?v=0300px-Government_Service_Center_%28Boston%29_in_2008.jpg800px-2010_NewChardonSt_Boston_.jpg

It houses the the Mental Health Center. Clearly, it was a custom job.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    *folds*

mcdermott on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    You guys think you have it tough driving? Massachusetts has rotaries that exit onto other rotaries, and short bridges with five way intersections on either end. This one rotary has two of the state's most dangerous intersection.

EL%20Rotary.jpg
    and
    intersection_a.jpg

Pfft. Swindon has a real man's roundabout:

lifemagi1.jpg

Notice that traffic is forced to drive in the wrong direction inside the middle circle.
    roundaplan.gif

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's like I'm staring into the mouth of madness. Where the fuck do you people live?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How the fuck do you live that without 800 head on collisions?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jesus Christ. People around here have a hard enough time with one roundabout.

There's like 8 roundabouts in that intersection.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I thank the potential existence of every deity that I don't live in Swindon. Roundabouts give me panic attacks even when they're empty and there's only one of them.

Apparently the key is to always give priority to traffic coming from the right and obey the yield barriers. If you do this, you will apparently survive your journey into the roundabout of living hell

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So... why does that traffic monstrosity have the inner patterns? You could achieve the same thing with a single rotary. Yeah you can make your way to the right without going all around this way, but the inefficiency in that pattern would just slow everything down I'd think

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's an extremely high traffic area, and a single roundabout would lead to severe congestion. The shortcuts afforded by this monstrosity serve to keep the traffic flowing, believe it or not.

Lieberkuhn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

EL%20Rotary.jpg
    and
    intersection_a.jpg

lifemagi1.jpg

Notice that traffic is forced to drive in the wrong direction inside the middle circle.
    roundaplan.gif

It looks all right to me.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

EL%20Rotary.jpg
    and
    intersection_a.jpg

lifemagi1.jpg

roundaplan.gif

City planners trying to summon Cthulhu is just the worst.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh, Hi there Omaha

At Night

omaha0025.jpg

The Old Market

10914006.jpg

Old-Market.jpg

downtown_omaha_location_old_market.jpg

St Cecilia's

250px-OmahaNE_StCecilia.jpg

Pedestrian Bridge

cfiles36902.jpg

Heartland Park

174903875_ec645c6017.jpg?v=0

And of course you have to have the Red Sea...

memorialstadium.jpg

King Kong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    King Kong wrote: »
    Oh, Hi there Omaha
    At Night

omaha0025.jpg

The Old Market

10914006.jpg

Old-Market.jpg

downtown_omaha_location_old_market.jpg

St Cecilia's

250px-OmahaNE_StCecilia.jpg

Pedestrian Bridge

cfiles36902.jpg

Heartland Park

174903875_ec645c6017.jpg?v=0

And of course you have to have the Red Sea...

memorialstadium.jpg

I was in Bellevue yesterday for an all-day hockey tournament. That's about the extent of my Omaha experience.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I grew up in Bellevue. Sadly it is NOT the same town I grew up in.

King Kong on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    To be honest, I didn't really see a lot of it on account of playing hockey all day. We went to Fort Crook Billiards on Sunday night and caused a ruckus there with the locals (they didn't like us Kansas City boys being loud and drunk in their bar). A lady at the rink welcomed me to Omaha, so that was cool.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is a picture I took in downtown Lisbon:

22032010150.jpg

Although there's a cyclist in the foreground BE WARNED! Lisbon is not a city that was built for cyclists, it has 7 hills so it's not like the Netherlands or some place flat like that. That's why we have trams built specifically to go up streets.

Anyway, it's a very fun city to visit. Lots of things to see, several restaurants and amazing views.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Minneapolis!

Obligatory Cherry Spoon:
    minneapolis1.jpg

View from my floor at work (I have a window cube! On the other side of the building :-():
    Target%20Field.jpg

Skyline:
    sa43E9.jpg

Lakes!:
    minneapolis_from_lake_calhoun_big.jpg

cncaudata on
    PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Jesus Christ. People around here have a hard enough time with one roundabout.

There's like 8 roundabouts in that intersection.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I love how I knew that was Swindon just from that comment.

Swindon is a bad bad place.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera