As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Email addresses: where to buy and what to use

mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
For as long as I've used the internet I've mostly just used free webmail and it has served me fine, but I want to buy my own address now for a number of reasons. Looking for suggestions for decent places to buy and software to use once I've got it.

I'm in the UK if that matters.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
mere_immortal on

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What are you looking for specifically?

An email address on a vanity domain name? Or something else?

Given there's some reasonably high quality free webmail providers, it's not something people normally pay a dime for...unless they're doing it with a custom domain name or it's part of a larger bundle (like those silly ISP email accounts).

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Pretty simple way is to get a domain name via Godaddy or whatever, and then set up a Google Apps account, which allows you to make an email account identical to gmail but with your own domain.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lithium Hosting is what I use for my basic webhosting; you get free email through there at whatever your domain is. It's $1/mo, and to get your own domain is $10/yr, so for $22 a year you'll get email on your own domain.

EDIT: The $1/mo is for the basic plan; if you're just using it for email I am sure it's more than enough.
    EDIT2: If you're a big spender, you can subscribe for a year at $10/yr. Don't spend those $2 savings in one place!

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.