As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Battlefield 2142 : Striketh the North!

• Options
    CaptHighSpeedCaptHighSpeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    this thread needed some postage :)

and hurray, i got my voss now :D

CaptHighSpeed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The best possible feeling is, when tickets are down to 2 and 2, you spawn in, resurrect 2 guys, and your team then goes on to win 15 seconds later.

Garthor on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, to get the purple heart, is it 4:1 death to kill ratio, or kill to death ratio?

Should I be dying a lot, or killing a lot?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dying a lot.

It's basically a "HAHA YOU SUCK" prize.
    I have one

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    it isn't worth any points either...

i have one too :(

CaptHighSpeed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure why I want it, but I do. I want all of the awards I can get.

Speaking of which, I cannot for the life of me get the silver medic and explosives badge finished. Anyone have a secret no-fail way to get them?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Glaeal wrote: »
    I'm not sure why I want it, but I do. I want all of the awards I can get.

Speaking of which, I cannot for the life of me get the silver medic and explosives badge finished. Anyone have a secret no-fail way to get them?
    Maps with stalemates are best. I'm fairly certain I got mine while playing Camp Gibraltar. For the explosives, it's best to be defending a Titan. Get into the vents, put an RDX at on the wall near the bottom of the shaft, and drop your APMs into the cargo area from the vent. If someone comes into the vent, blow them up. Continue until you're out of APMs. In all honesty, it's more luck than anything.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    is there a place to find out who has knifed my dogtags from me?

CaptHighSpeed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rumpled ForeskinRumpled Foreskin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hello all, I've just started playing this online, could you add my name to the roster. My ingame name is Chinbollox. I'm liking this game a lot in some areas (urban fighting, net-bat squad thingy that shows enemies your friends are viewing, awesome futuristic weapons) but hating some absolute retarded decisions on DICE's part (zomg let me run into that enemy squad of 100000 people and throw RDX at my feet because FF is off and rack a hojillion kills). I'm enjoying Titan mode, but it hiccups like a fucktard, once I set foot inside it, it just pauses and stutters its way before eventually smoothing out. DICE needs to optimise that bitch, fo' shizzle.

Rumpled Foreskin on
    -"What the fuck is this?" *holds up bowling ball*
    -"Obviously you're not a golfer."
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    titan maps were originally made with a 48 player cap. the RDX thing, just play on FF=on servers :)

CaptHighSpeed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll update the OP soon, I've been working on getting medals more than anything of late.

Damnit, I still need to run ten people over. Who thought that would be such a pain in the ass to do?

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    Inigo MontoyaInigo Montoya Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Masume wrote: »
    I'll update the OP soon, I've been working on getting medals more than anything of late.

Damnit, I still need to run ten people over. Who thought that would be such a pain in the ass to do?

I have only a handful of Wheels of hazards. You pretty much just have to find a match with idiots walking around. My method of roadkills: Hovertank. That baby got some nice drifting for the pancaking. Also nothing like whipping her fat ass around to cut someone off at the shins.

Well I had my fill of the beta patch; the servers were getting really crappy last weekend. Constant crashes and laggy. So being so smart I uninstalled Battlefield ( since I forgot to backup the folder before dl'ing beta patch) and damned if my box with CD key didn't got missing. So it'll probably show up in the next couple of days and I'll be back on.

Still 14-15 Gold Star Medals away from one of the other medals, and around 600-700 kills needed in Titan Mode for another (8000 kills in Titan Mode + a Problem Solver pin in a round D: ). Getting really close to nothing but Commander achievements and time requirements left (PAC/EU Time/Wins Medals, Time in Armor etc.).

Probably update my sig after the Titan Gold Star medal.

Inigo Montoya on
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have the anti-air missile launcher so far. Aiming to get the Anti-Vehicle rifle afterwards. This game's pretty fun so far.

Speaking of which, you get dogtags by knifing corpses or something?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Bear CavalryBear Cavalry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I have only a handful of Wheels of hazards. You pretty much just have to find a match with idiots walking around. My method of roadkills: Hovertank. That baby got some nice drifting for the pancaking. Also nothing like whipping her fat ass around to cut someone off at the shins.

One way to get wheels of hazards is to land on the people who stand on that giant silo in shuhia taiba.

Bear Cavalry on
  • Options
    Inigo MontoyaInigo Montoya Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

One way to get wheels of hazards is to land on the people who stand on that giant silo in shuhia taiba.

You just reminded me of an inspired bit of splattering I did while piloting the transport ship on Minsk. Most people are familiar with the skyscrapers which overlook Silo 4 and the tendency of people to snipe from up top there. Well what do I see while coasting around there but an entire squad right on the edge sniping with Recons and Engineers. What's a guy to do but take the transport in for some ship on corpse action? I ended up making two glorious passes. I mean they're already proned on the edge, making the pancakes even easier. I almost crashed I was laughing so hard.

Inigo Montoya on
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am downloading this game right now from EA Link. I'll start the download of Northern Strike in just a second. I've wanted this game for so long and now I finally have a computer to run it. What should I do in terms of the clan?

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Assault to learn the ropes, or engineer. Can't go wrong.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Speaking of which, you get dogtags by knifing corpses or something?
    No, just knifing people. Which is harder than it should be because the knife hit detection blows.

Also, in terms of "clan" we don't really have one. Some of us put PA as our clan tag, others don't. Just add the people in the op to your friends list and play with them when they're on.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    narv107narv107 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, no clan really. We just prefer to work together rather than with random mouth breathers.

Speaking of which, I was away for 9 days and I need to get my Baur on.

narv107 on
  • Options
    Bear CavalryBear Cavalry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

You just reminded me of an inspired bit of splattering I did while piloting the transport ship on Minsk. Most people are familiar with the skyscrapers which overlook Silo 4 and the tendency of people to snipe from up top there. Well what do I see while coasting around there but an entire squad right on the edge sniping with Recons and Engineers. What's a guy to do but take the transport in for some ship on corpse action? I ended up making two glorious passes. I mean they're already proned on the edge, making the pancakes even easier. I almost crashed I was laughing so hard.

Lol, that's fantastic. I had an enemy sit right on top of one of the oil silos at launch site 4(on suez canal), he had been talking trash on the server, which I wasn't really paying attention to. Then I flew the gunship to 4 and let a guy pod off. Looked to the left and what do I see? splat!

Bear Cavalry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Is there no way to download a patch from in-game? I couldn't find it anywhere and downloading a patch for 40 minutes from Fileplanet is annoying.

Daric on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ea link has the patches.

CaptHighSpeed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    Is there no way to download a patch from in-game? I couldn't find it anywhere and downloading a patch for 40 minutes from Fileplanet is annoying.
    EA Link probably. You're going to need it anyway to get Northern Strike.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah I got Northern Strike. I'm installing it right now.

Daric on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok, so whenever I get into a game, after about 5 minutes I get kicked out of the server and there's a box at the server list that just says "Punkbuster".

It has no other explanation. I even updated my Punkbuster from the main website and the same thing happened.

Daric on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Daric wrote: »
    Ok, so whenever I get into a game, after about 5 minutes I get kicked out of the server and there's a box at the server list that just says "Punkbuster".

It has no other explanation. I even updated my Punkbuster from the main website and the same thing happened.

Yeah that can happen, make sure both PB services are running (both a and b) and either shut off the firewall or allow an exception just in case. Sometimes PB can be a bitch.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    punk buster can also crash on you and 2142 will still be running, kicking you a few moments later for not having punk buster ><

CaptHighSpeed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Rumpled ForeskinRumpled Foreskin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Got a question for you lot, I'm having trouble deciding between pursuing the baur or voss unlocks, I've already gotten to the lambert carbine to begin with. Voss seems to own everything, even at range, but my mate says it's weak up close requires 6 bullets for a kill, but then the ROF is insane. Secondly, any brits on this thread, and if so, what servers do you lot play on?

Rumpled Foreskin on
    -"What the fuck is this?" *holds up bowling ball*
    -"Obviously you're not a golfer."
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I use the Baur exclusively myself. That has more to do with my personal play style than anything regarding the kill power of the Voss. I like the ammo efficiency of the Baur on single fire and find that rapid clicks in close range doesn't mean that I'm just a sitting duck to Voss users. The Voss has a much faster learning curve than the Baur but it isn't very effect outside of 50m I've found.

narv107 on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Got a question for you lot, I'm having trouble deciding between pursuing the baur or voss unlocks, I've already gotten to the lambert carbine to begin with. Voss seems to own everything, even at range, but my mate says it's weak up close requires 6 bullets for a kill, but then the ROF is insane. Secondly, any brits on this thread, and if so, what servers do you lot play on?

I favourite server is SQUAD PLAY ALL THE WAY. 48 man spuad play enforced Conquest only server. I also play on any of the 64 man Camp Gibralter servers that have a sub 100 ping. Although sometimes they're just total cluster fucks as incomepent team mates and no cohesiveness often makes rounds a total slog of having to do everything yourself.

Soldier Name: Marazan

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I really dislike servers that don't change maps.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I have both the Baur and Voss unlocked, the Baur being the first. I would highly, highly recommend the Voss over the Baur. There are a lot of Baur users but I found, as will you should you use it, that the ammo size on the gun to be a real bitch. Often you will get killed simply because you have to reload after missing only a few shots. You can forget about close range as well, Voss will take down the Baur in most situations, regardless of how good a shot a person is. Some Baur users might dispute this but it's a fact, really. For as long as I've been playing it's always been my experience. Baur makes a nice long range rifle for damage/shot ratio, but to be honest your better off pulling out the Sniper Rifle if your doing that.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have both the Baur and Voss unlocked, the Baur being the first. I would highly, highly recommend the Voss over the Baur. There are a lot of Baur users but I found, as will you should you use it, that the ammo size on the gun to be a real bitch. Often you will get killed simply because you have to reload after missing only a few shots. You can forget about close range as well, Voss will take down the Baur in most situations, regardless of how good a shot a person is. Some Baur users might dispute this but it's a fact, really. For as long as I've been playing it's always been my experience. Baur makes a nice long range rifle for damage/shot ratio, but to be honest your better off pulling out the Sniper Rifle if your doing that.

When I first started playing my roommate went Voss and I went Baur. After I had both for a while I can see how each shines in its particular niche. My usual load out for Assault is paddles ( or whatever they are called ) and rockets with my weapon being based on the map. If I'm in Gibraltor its Voss all the way. If I'm on something a lot more open like Suez then its Baur. I hated the clip on the Baur at first but it really makes you learn fire control, also never forget about your sidearm.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I am not too fond of secondary weapons. My k/d ratio with them (should I be caught out with no amo or with an AT weapon) is disgusting, and chances are if I empty one at you then you will still be standing afterward.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well they really are secondary. I can honestly say my pistol/revolver has saved me many a time though if only to get that last bit of damage in when my primary runs dry. Then again Iv also had times where Iv emptied a clip into someone and die wondering why the hell they are still running around. As crappy as they can be they are nowhere near as bad as they were in BF2.

SkannerJAT on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Pistols can be quite useful, but they are best saved as a last resort due to lack of ammo or a sticky situation. They are quite fun, however. :D

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Did EA go after all of the pistol and knife servers? There used to be a bunch of them, and now every time I find one they change it in day or so.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    They usually do go after the P&K servers because they consider it cheating to restrict the ruleset and "stat" pad those weapons. Usually all it entails is changing the server name, but in some cases its an outright ban.

narv107 on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have found my calling in life.

I am a leader of sniper squads on Tunis Harbour. I can disperse 5 men over an area to give multiple over lapping fields of fire so that when the enemy starts taknig cover from man A then they're in the sights of B&C. Using that crane north of the East Harbour CP as a base of operations as EU was so effective it should be illegal.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Sniper teams can be lethal, if done right.

Had some good games last night, and another crappy server to list in the 'avoid' column, for apparently 15 year olds run the RIP2142 servers.

Masume on
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume