As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

possible credit alert?

AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I received something in the mail today from "protectmyid.com", which reads as follows (with obvious information edited).
Dear _my name_,

We apologize for the delay of processing your order. For your security, additional information was required to confirm your personal information and activate your account.

To activate your account and view your report, simply go to www.ProtectMyID.com and login with the username and password you selected during the order process. If you have forgotten your username or password, please follow the "Forgot your password" instructions on the login page.

Once you have logged in, you will need to enter the Private Access Code listed below.
Note: This code is only required the first time you log in.

Private Access Code: __________

etc..

I figure that either someone tried to sign me up for this for some reason, or this is some sketchy form of advertising on their part. So, what the hell?

AgentBryant on

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Supposedly this is a service provided via Experian, which is one of the Big Three credit reporting agencies. Did you sign up to see your credit report from someone recently? Or maybe you inadvertently accepted an offer when signing up for a new credit card or renewing an old one? It is possible that someone is running a scam of some sort...but I'm not sure how it would work in this case. It's also possible that Experian is just running a scam themselves and automatically signing people up without their permission.

Either way, I'd recommend calling them and clearing up that you did not sign up for anything and do not want the service. There's a possibility that they can just keep billing you on a recurring basis unless you do something, regardless of whether or not you "activate" your account or actually log into the site.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Could be any of those scams. You could have also fallen victim to a data breach. I know Experian regularly enrolls people for free when those breaches happen.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    AgentBryantAgentBryant CTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah, I should clarify that I have not signed up for anything credit related what-so-ever. The company itself looks legit, so I don't understand why an advertisement of some sort would be worded in such a way. Nor can I really understand why someone would try to sign up for it in my name. Any other thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

I've emailed their support email address for now, as its past their calling hours for the day, but if they don't get back to me soon I'll call them.

AgentBryant on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah it's a scam. Hopefully you didn't email them any personal info.

3drage on