As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My computer is under siege.

DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is.In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium with Norton antivirus.

I am getting the following every ten to thirty minutes or so:

An intrusion attempt by 19js810300z.com was blocked. Application path /device/harddiskvolume1/windows/system32/svchost.exe

A quick google says it's a Russian source. Norton, Spybot and Malwarebytes are coming up with nothing. Thoughts?

7ivi73p71dgy.png
xbl - HowYouGetAnts
steam - WeAreAllGeth
Deadfall on

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    System Restore could not complete because of an unspecified error, and now I'm getting "Host Process for Windows Services stopped working and was closed." My Vista desktop and all my tool bar icons and whatnot have reverted to a plain gray color and looks like an old XP theme or something.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay, I think I got it. Holy crap that was a tough bugger. I'm no security expert, but I'm decently savvy when it comes to protecting my computer, and that was driving me crazy.

Downloaded TDSS Rootkit Remover and it seems to have taken care of it.

Some further research told me I had a backdoor trojan of some sort, and the website was trying to access my system files, or something. I don't know. But it was preventing me from logging into my Windows Profile or do any system restores.

Thanks H/A. I suppose just being here helped me out.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    In before the "Norton Antivirus means you're not decently savvy when it comes to protecting your computer," although frankly I think Norton does a fine job as long as you don't mind the crippling performance hit/stability hit that it can often bring along.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In before the "Norton Antivirus means you're not decently savvy when it comes to protecting your computer," although frankly I think Norton does a fine job as long as you don't mind the crippling performance hit/stability hit that it can often bring along.

It came with Comcast for free, and it does the job well enough for what I use it for. I run it along with Malwarebytes and Spybot, and I consider myself a relatively safe user. I mostly just game on this machine. Like I said I'm far from an expert, but I know the basics.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd still nuke it from orbit and re-install.

Problem with rootkits is you can't ever be sure you got all of it. You may still have stability issues, or you may have missed a chunk of the kit that is going to end up blue-screening your computer on occasion.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Problem with rootkits is you can't ever be sure you got all of it. You may still have stability issues, or you may have missed a chunk of the kit that is going to end up blue-screening your computer on occasion.

Also, change any passwords for sites you might have saved in your browser, and if you have any credit card information stored, consider canceling your card too.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Also, change any passwords for sites you might have saved in your browser, and if you have any credit card information stored, consider canceling your card too.

Seconding all this.

Nuke it from orbit with the big guns, change passwords, and monitor shit carefully to make sure nothing like credit card/checking was violated

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Agreed with the previous three posts.

3drage on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fortunately for me I am very paranoid about my passwords and don't keep them stored in my browser. Same with card information. But looks like I'll be cleansing the hard drive with holy flame this weekend anyway.

Thank ya gents.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    3drage3drage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Fortunately for me I am very paranoid about my passwords and don't keep them stored in my browser. Same with card information. But looks like I'll be cleansing the hard drive with holy flame this weekend anyway.

Thank ya gents.

If the trojan had a key logger, the passwords you entered while visiting sites have been compromised.

3drage on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Deadfall wrote: »

Thank ya gents.

Yeah I got hit by one of these one time and once discovered, I literally unplugged my internet cable, formatted right there and then, and then proceeded to change every password in existence on another computer.

Also - if you want a good, free and lightweight antivirus - try Microsoft internet security essentials. I love it and it hasn't let me down as far as detection goes, whereas I've had shit slip by NOD32, McAffee, and Norton.

SkyGheNe on