As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When do I need more RAM? [SOLVED]

CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to figure out whether I should get more RAM, and whether that would actually increase my performance in any way. I have 2 x 1GB sticks right now.

Perhaps I don't understand how RAM works very well, but I thought that if your RAM isn't filling up all the way, you don't need more. I've got the little Windows 7 applet that tells me my CPU/RAM performance, and my RAM never even comes close to 100%.

The folks online were saying I should get 4GB, but I'm not sure I understand why if I'm not filling up my 2GB. Can anyone shed light on this?

Cognisseur on

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out whether I should get more RAM, and whether that would actually increase my performance in any way. I have 2 x 1GB sticks right now.

Perhaps I don't understand how RAM works very well, but I thought that if your RAM isn't filling up all the way, you don't need more. I've got the little Windows 7 applet that tells me my CPU/RAM performance, and my RAM never even comes close to 100%.

The folks online were saying I should get 4GB, but I'm not sure I understand why if I'm not filling up my 2GB. Can anyone shed light on this?

I don't have Win7 so I'm not sure if the app you run tells of physical memory, the 2 GB, or physical plus virtual which would mean the 2 GB plus what is reserved for memory swapping on your hard drive. You should check for this because if it is the later then look for info on the use of physical memory.

Regardless of how much RAM is being used now 2 GB is not a lot and some apps plus Windows itself will adjust it self to what works best with the amount available. In other words if you have more memory some apps will run better because they will use memory differently but it is very much a question of what you use your computer for? If it's just surfing the web, a few office applications and so upgrading may not really bring anything.

If you're wanting to make your computer faster then apart from more RAM also look into getting a SSD drive plus also check if there is room for overclocking.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If your'e running games from < 3 years ago, I'd get more RAM. Stuff like Dawn of War 2, SC2, Crysis, anything that's big and fancy uses a lot of RAM. If you've got 2 more slots open, just throw in two more 1GB sticks. It's like $25, well worth it.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Apogee wrote: »
    If your'e running games from < 3 years ago, I'd get more RAM. Stuff like Dawn of War 2, SC2, Crysis, anything that's big and fancy uses a lot of RAM. If you've got 2 more slots open, just throw in two more 1GB sticks. It's like $25, well worth it.

Good point. Well, I thought I thought it was pretty cheap and I'd just go do it but the prices on Newegg seem a lot higher than $25, which made me realize I don't really know what type of RAM I need.

My motherboard has 4 slots, 2 of which are being used by Kingston DDR2 (PC2-6400) 1GB sticks. So do I just need to find any other 2 DDR2 sticks? or PC2-6400? Or does it have to be Kingston? I don't know what to go with.

Edit: Some more information about my current RAM, in case I need to match speeds or frequencies or whatever else I don't understand:
    Kingston 1GB DDR2 (PC2-6400)
    Speed: 400 MHz (DDR2 800)
    Supported Frequencies: 200.0MHz, 266.7MHz, 400.0MHz

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do you have a local computer shop that is staffed by knowledgeable people (IE: NOT Best Buy)? I would go in and just ask what the best parts to buy are. Since you've got some pretty specific info chances are they'll take 2 seconds to walk around the counter and grab the part you need.

I don't know where you're located, by NCIX is a great place to get this stuff from as well.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you're running games, you more than likely will need a new video card before you need more ram.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    These should probably work for you. Before ordering, you might want to pull out a stick currently in your system just to confirm it's 240-pin, but they should be fine.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Nevermind, I just ended up finding my exact stick of RAM for a price that wasn't too unreasonable $30 each. Hope it's the exact right kind and everything works. Thanks for the advice folks!

Cognisseur on