Options

This is the old and busted [STEAM] thread

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
steamlogom.png
20041015h.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

2. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

3. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Sales Tracker
This is apparently a sortable list of all the cool stuff on Steam that you can narrow down via categories (like "on sale") but it may have cased to work.

The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

The Steam Circle of Life
This image is from the SomethingAwful forums Steam thread. Hilariously enough it basically describes out Steam thread too:
steamsathread2.png

Steam iPhone App
You have an iPhone? That money could easily have been spent on Steam games. If you want to make the best of your shiny gadget, however, check out this Steam iPhone app. For less than the price of a grande mocha frappacino or whatever, you can buy an unofficial program (which appears to have been created by a PA guy who has not stepped forward if the Armadeaddon screengrab means anything) which does all sorts of Steam shit.

TychoCelchuuu on

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    New thread whoo.

Just bought a gamepad, and am digging playing through Psychonauts again.

Will have to experiment and see what other games in my list play well with a controller as opposed to kbam.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does Steam do any special sorta sale for Bank holidays? I just need to know beforehand so I can avoid the PC on Monday if need be.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Usually platformers and racing games are the best candidates for controller goodness.

freakish light on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Steam has sales to celebrate the sales it's already having. To see a day go by when something ISN'T on sale is worth marking the calendar.

Michael H on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Usually platformers and racing games are the best candidates for controller goodness.

Braid is much, much better with a controller.

Michael H on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Forcing myself to finish portal.

Fuga on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait a minute, you aren't Suds. What have you done with Suds?
    Michael H wrote: »

Most anything that came from a console that isn't a shooter is probably going to feel pretty comfortable with a gamepad. I actually found myself playing Defense Grid with one.

Monger on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Guys I need a gamepad, what should I get? Besides the Xbox 360 controller because the last one busted on me.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I made it through Sandtraps in HL2 yesterday without touching the sand!

Unfortunately, I didn't get the achievement.

SteevL on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm also looking for a good gamepad to get. Would be nice to have one before I buy Braid or Super Meat Boy when it comes out.

dclee on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dclee wrote: »
    I'm also looking for a good gamepad to get. Would be nice to have one before I buy Braid or Super Meat Boy when it comes out.
    If you want it for Braid, then last I checked, you need a 360 controller. It's moving in the general direction of "You need a 360 controller" now. It is at this point, more or less, the supported standard.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

While I haven't tried it with keyboard, I'd think it wouldn't be too bad. I'm okay with playing 2D platformers with keyboard. I guess that might come from playing stuff like Jazz Jackrabbit as a kid.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Monger wrote: »

Most anything that came from a console that isn't a shooter is probably going to feel pretty comfortable with a gamepad. I actually found myself playing Defense Grid with one.

I moved this weekend, I've been spending all my time unpacking.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, considering that they've done discounts on all mac releases so far, do you guys think they'll do one for L4D2? One of my friends still needs to get it, I'm at the point where I'm just going to gift it to him, just so he can finally have a fourth guy.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ampix wrote: »
    So, considering that they've done discounts on all mac releases so far, do you guys think they'll do one for L4D2? One of my friends still needs to get it, I'm at the point where I'm just going to gift it to him, just so he can finally have a fourth guy.

It already dropped in price, and it was on sale not that long ago if i remember correctly.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Suds wrote: »
    Monger wrote: »

I moved this weekend, I've been spending all my time unpacking.

I moved this weekend too, although I beat you by a day plus all of the things I own fit into about 6 boxes. In any case the Steam thread was mine for a while too so really it's just trading monarchs at this point more than it is some sort of usurpation.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm suprised that the community activity hasn't really gone up any since Mac's were opened up.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fuga wrote: »
    Forcing myself to finish portal.
    Force yourself?

I think there's something wrong with this boy.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hey, new thread.

So, I got annoyed by the default skin and decided to try some others. I'm currently using this:
    steamskin.jpg
    steamskin2.jpg

For comparison, this is what Steam v3 looks like by default.

It has the somewhat dubious name of "Enhanced Steam by TDD" but it works pretty well... relatively minor changes, but I like the better-defined menubars and button image changes. are there any other good replacements?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, I miss my Dragon Age skin. That was the only thing I didn't like when steam updated.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »
    I'm suprised that the community activity hasn't really gone up any since Mac's were opened up.

Most people I know of that have Macs ethier have a PC separate from the Mac with which to play games or they do like I do and use Bootcamp to halve their Core Duo Macs into 2 parts, a Mac part and a PC part, and use the PC part for games. I didn't use Steam much to get my games or use them on the PC side of my computer until recently, but now that my Mac can use Steam and Valve's expanding their games into Mac territory, chances are high I'll be using it alot more, and I'm sure i'm not the only one. Most people have Steam anyways on their PC, so now they just have it on their Mac as well.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I have this one. If you have a PS2 or PS3, this will obviously feel very comfortable. For $20, you can't beat it.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/devices/288

Michael H on
  • Options
    jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »

Too busy playing Civ and wondering how Portal went from being really easy to WTFHARD in like 5 seconds

jackisreal on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    %50 off DoW2, Chaos, and Gold edition.

I've heard single player is pretty solid. Should I grab the gold edition? For $20 doesn't seem like I can go wrong.

goggles on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I have this one. If you have a PS2 or PS3, this will obviously feel very comfortable. For $20, you can't beat it.

I have that very controller. It's been good to me, though the 360 controller is so widely supported now that I pretty much never use it.

Monger on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you want it for Braid, then last I checked, you need a 360 controller. It's moving in the general direction of "You need a 360 controller" now. It is at this point, more or less, the supported standard.

Yeah, many games nowadays support only the 360 controller, and that's that. I guess it's a combination of lazy (cheap and easy console ports) and even more lazy -- instead of enumerating devices and handling all these numerous input combinations, buffering, interpreting data, etc., you literally use one function call to the XInput API to grab a controller state. Two if you wanna send force feedback data. Done.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    goggles wrote: »

I've heard single player is pretty solid. Should I grab the gold edition? For $20 doesn't seem like I can go wrong.

I picked it up and have been having a blast with it.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

This is what I picked up, although I bought mine at retail for $25. I'm currently wondering whether or not I should have just dropped the extra $15 and picked up a 360 controller (and gotten rumble), but this controller is pretty solid so far.

The programmable buttons (including the L3/R3 style analog sub-buttons) and the ability to create a profile for each individual game are pretty awesome.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    and even more lazy -- instead of enumerating devices and handling all these numerous input combinations, buffering, interpreting data, etc., you literally use one function call to the XInput API to grab a controller state. Two if you wanna send force feedback data. Done.
    To be fair, programmers are known for being lazy. Why do you think they're programmers?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    and even more lazy -- instead of enumerating devices and handling all these numerous input combinations, buffering, interpreting data, etc., you literally use one function call to the XInput API to grab a controller state. Two if you wanna send force feedback data. Done.
    To be fair, programmers are known for being lazy. Why do you think they're programmers?
    For all the pushing and the popping.

You know what I'm talking about.

Monger on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Has anyone played Dark Void Zero? I know the whole "Lost project from the 80s found in the Capcom vaults and re-released" was some bullshit made up by their marketing team, and I think that having system requirements of a 2.5GHz P4 or a 1.6GHz Core2Duo as well as 512MB/1GB of RAM and a DX9 256MB GPU are pretty ridiculous for a "retro 8-bit" game (it's a mark of sloppy coding), but it looks like Halloween Harry with more guns, and I am intrigued.

I agree that the system requirements were silly, but the DRM even more so. Steam, Securom, and a 5-machine activation limit. For a retro 8-bit game. That costs 3,99€.

The only thing missing is the need for a constant internet connection and a codewheel.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    goggles wrote: »

Yeah, I got the original DoW2 for $25 and had a great time with it. I haven't touched the multiplayer. Even played a few missions in co-op with a friend, although the downside to doing that is you get used to controlling only 2 dudes instead of all 4.

SteevL on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is anyone else getting an error with Steam where, after booting up, the first time you try to launch it, it doesn't pop up the "Connecting User Account" dialog box thingie, it just pops up on the task bar for a second then vanishes, then nothing happens if I click the Steam Icon in Start menu. So I have to go into Task Manager and manually kill the Steam Process, which has a title of "Steam - Error."

On Windows XP, if it matters any. I just want to know I'm not alone on this.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TKane wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting an error with Steam where, after booting up, the first time you try to launch it, it doesn't pop up the "Connecting User Account" dialog box thingie, it just pops up on the task bar for a second then vanishes, then nothing happens if I click the Steam Icon in Start menu. So I have to go into Task Manager and manually kill the Steam Process, which has a title of "Steam - Error."

I used to get an error similar to this on XP all the time. Did the actual bar for loading your account when you sign in start? Mine would start get about 1/3 of the way through then vanish and Steam would crash (no crash warning or error message it would just be as though I never started steam). I would have to delete steam and redownload it (saving the steam folder so I only have to dl the client) to get it working. It since has stopped doing this completely. I'm not sure if it's because of the new version of steam or my switch to Vista.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can't wait for hegemony to hit steam.

I would buy it from the actual place right now, but I like having everything on steam.

Damnit, Ive become a steam whore D:

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Roshin wrote: »
    Has anyone played Dark Void Zero? I know the whole "Lost project from the 80s found in the Capcom vaults and re-released" was some bullshit made up by their marketing team, and I think that having system requirements of a 2.5GHz P4 or a 1.6GHz Core2Duo as well as 512MB/1GB of RAM and a DX9 256MB GPU are pretty ridiculous for a "retro 8-bit" game (it's a mark of sloppy coding), but it looks like Halloween Harry with more guns, and I am intrigued.

I agree that the system requirements were silly, but the DRM even more so. Steam, Securom, and a 5-machine activation limit. For a retro 8-bit game. That costs 3,99€.

The only thing missing is the need for a constant internet connection and a codewheel.

Wait, it has SecuRom and an install limit?

On a five dollar game that is digitally distributed?

Well fuck that then.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really, really love the wired 360 pad. And mine has taken a lot of hours of use. It still feels very solid.
    And I can't see why the devs and programmers are lazy. There is a great pad with lots of great features and it's easy to implement. Why the hell would they have more trouble with that?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »

I used to get an error similar to this on XP all the time. Did the actual bar for loading your account when you sign in start? Mine would start get about 1/3 of the way through then vanish and Steam would crash (no crash warning or error message it would just be as though I never started steam). I would have to delete steam and redownload it (saving the steam folder so I only have to dl the client) to get it working. It since has stopped doing this completely. I'm not sure if it's because of the new version of steam or my switch to Vista.

Interesting. I'll have to give this a try later.

Well fuck that then.

What is it with anti-DRM people and install limits. I don't ever see myself owning more then five computers in the next ten years.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Perhaps not, but you might find yourself needing to reinstall a given game five times in that time frame. Suppose you need to reinstall your OS (or upgrade it), for example. Besides, I'm sure most people around here own games that are >10 years old that we'd like to play every now and again.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Well fuck that then.

What is it with anti-DRM people and install limits. I don't ever see myself owning more then five computers in the next ten years.

Unlike you, I guess I don't consider games to be a disposable form of entertainment.

edit: What RBach said

SmokeStacks on
This discussion has been closed.