As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old and busted [STEAM] thread

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those LewieP comics are great.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    Perhaps not, but you might find yourself needing to reinstall a given game five times in that time frame. Suppose you need to reinstall your OS (or upgrade it), for example. Besides, I'm sure most people around here own games that are >10 years old that we'd like to play every now and again.

... Now you're bullshitting.

5-machine activation limit

5 machines. Not 5 reinstalls. So unless you're buying for a CyberCafe, it doesn't matter.
    Unlike you, I guess I don't consider games to be a disposable form of entertainment.

edit: What RBach said

Then don't uninstall?

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Forgive me if I don't trust them to count switching out the operating system as not being a new machine.

Although it would be useful for the discussion to know precisely what the DV Zero DRM considers a new "machine."

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Forgive me if I don't trust them to count switching out the operating system as not being a new machine.

Although it would be useful for the discussion to know precisely what the DV Zero DRM considers a new "machine."

So, why don't we email them and request clarification?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You guys don't get it, the annoying bit is not how likely my switching machines five times is, it's that I have to keep track of how many times I've done so.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Doing stuff like reinstalling the OS will require a new activation. So yes, you can eat up five activations with one, physical computer, TKane, and quite easily.

This is only slightly better than when SecuROM-PA was first rolled out, where simple driver updates or even new fucking user accounts triggered reactivations.

On an unrelated tangent, I've just downloaded GalCiv2 from Impulse because of the $10 deal. I archived it and sought to reinstall, because Impulse assumes I'd like to install the game in its default directory. Of course, when I try to restore the archive, it says everything's hunky dory, and then when I try to run it, it's now redownloading the entire fucking game again.

GG Impulse. Thanks for making my first purchase on your service a positive experience.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TKane wrote: »

So, why don't we email them and request clarification?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

Or instead I could just vote with my wallet and spend my time buying and playing a different game.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Jaramr wrote: »
    I can't wait for hegemony to hit steam.

I would buy it from the actual place right now, but I like having everything on steam.

Damnit, Ive become a steam whore D:

This. :(

Impersonator on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Doing stuff like reinstalling the OS will require a new activation. So yes, you can eat up five activations with one, physical computer, TKane, and quite easily.
    Yeah, it really depends on the particular DRM scheme. Some will tick off activations on every single hardware change. Some don't refund activations on reinstall. Most don't have a way to manually refund an activation if you uninstalled online or had a hard drive failure or whatever. Depending on the company, the whole thing can get very sketchy.

Monger on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GG Impulse. Thanks for making my first purchase on your service a positive experience.

I've had both really good and really bad experiences with Stardock/Impulse.

Once I bought GalCiv2 and Sins of a Solar Empire (the only Impulse exclusives I care about), though, I bypassed my need to use Impulse forever. I set up both games with shortcuts in Steam and I'm happier for it!

Michael H on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I personally really quite like Impulse, but yeah, the Archive feature has only worked for me once.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And I can't see why the devs and programmers are lazy. There is a great pad with lots of great features and it's easy to implement. Why the hell would they have more trouble with that?

It's that they're lazy for not supporting anything else, not for supporting it. But personally, I'm all for switching over to XInput from DirectInput. It's nice not having to figure out if a game is counting buttons from 0 or 1, it's nice not having a gamepad that's set up clockwise from the top as 1/2/3/4 where the devs expected controller is 4/2/3/1. It's nice having a well defined system for telling players apart from each other and handling disconnects.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the 360 controller provides a significantly better experience, and at this point, all the PC gamepads are more or less identical in functionality.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And I can't see why the devs and programmers are lazy. There is a great pad with lots of great features and it's easy to implement. Why the hell would they have more trouble with that?

It's that they're lazy for not supporting anything else, not for supporting it. But personally, I'm all for switching over to XInput from DirectInput. It's nice not having to figure out if a game is counting buttons from 0 or 1, it's nice not having a gamepad that's set up clockwise from the top as 1/2/3/4 where the devs expected controller is 4/2/3/1. It's nice having a well defined system for telling players apart from each other and handling disconnects.

Basically, what I'm saying is that the 360 controller provides a significantly better experience, and at this point, all the PC gamepads are more or less identical in functionality.

I agree with the git of your post, but what would they even program for? What are the options? A couple of Logitech models? Everyone is better of picking the 360 pad as the new standard...

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At the same time, I'd like to have the ability to use an input device that's not proprietary and governed by a single manufacturer if I choose to. Or resorting to profiling/DLL hacks in order to do so. I say this as a fan of the 360 controller.

This is probably my open-standards, non-proprietary neckbearding in me, though.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At the same time, I'd like to have the ability to use an input device that's not proprietary and governed by a single manufacturer if I choose to. Or resorting to profiling/DLL hacks in order to do so. I say this as a fan of the 360 controller.
    I suppose yes, it is closed, but it's not like Microsoft is the only one capable of providing XInput devices. Madcatz manufactures the Gamestop branded 360 controllers, and they work just fine (so long as you don't mind spiky death grips). Sure Microsoft controls the standard, but is that really any different from DirectX?

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have so many games to play omg :D

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I suppose yes, it is closed, but it's not like Microsoft is the only one capable of providing XInput devices. Madcatz manufactures the Gamestop branded 360 controllers, and they work just fine (so long as you don't mind spiky death grips). Sure Microsoft controls the standard, but is that really any different from DirectX?

Anybody can use DirectX and you don't have do anything other than link to libraries and include the API. Anybody can make a DirectInput compatible controller. Heck, you don't even have to use them to get purty stuff on screen (maybe you're a game programming rebel and are into OpenGL/SDL).

Wanna make an XInput compatible controller? Hope Microsoft thinks you're awesome enough to do so, and also have some scratch to pay royalties to them for the privilege. That's the difference when dealing with Microsoft's presence in the gaming market. Dolla dolla bills.

But it's a philosophical argument. It's not really something I lose sleep over.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Michael H wrote: »
    dclee wrote: »
    I'm also looking for a good gamepad to get. Would be nice to have one before I buy Braid or Super Meat Boy when it comes out.

I have this one. If you have a PS2 or PS3, this will obviously feel very comfortable. For $20, you can't beat it.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers/devices/288
    I have that very controller. It's been good to me, though the 360 controller is so widely supported now that I pretty much never use it.

Also, there are some drivers floating around that let you use a PS3 controller plugged in through the miniUSB port

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What is it with anti-DRM people and install limits. I don't ever see myself owning more then five computers in the next ten years.

I recently went through an epic amount of computer trouble where I had to reinstall the OS twice and it still isn't working right (hence the "no games played" in my sig). Also, I have two computers. Some people have even more. The point was that it's a massive chunk of DRM put on a simple and very cheap game. If it was a major new release, then maybe it wouldn't be entirely surprising, but it seems excessive in this case.

That's my opinion, yours may be different.

Edit: I just fired up Jagged Alliance and lost two hours without noticing (this is on the second computer that can only handle older games). Lovely little game and hey, no DRM. :D

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Roshin wrote: »
    What is it with anti-DRM people and install limits. I don't ever see myself owning more then five computers in the next ten years.

I recently went through an epic amount of computer trouble where I had to reinstall the OS twice and it still isn't working right (hence the "no games played" in my sig). Also, I have two computers. Some people have even more. The point was that it's a massive chunk of DRM put on a simple and very cheap game. If it was a major new release, then maybe it wouldn't be entirely surprising, but it seems excessive in this case.

That's my opinion, yours may be different.

Edit: I just fired up Jagged Alliance and lost two hours without noticing (this is on the second computer that can only handle older games). Lovely little game and hey, no DRM. :D

I got JA2 on GoG and I have the Unfinished Business ExPack on CD-ROM. I never played any of them (the in game laptop screen with a million of obscure options kinda scares me)... I love XCom. Should I get JA1 and the ExPack too?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    JA2 plus the fan patch is all you really need.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is witcher enhanced version worth the extra cash above the regular one? Have always been interested in the game but I'm not sure which to go for.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Is witcher enhanced version worth the extra cash above the regular one? Have always been interested in the game but I'm not sure which to go for.

I'm pretty sure that the regular version of The Witcher can be updated to be the enhanced version.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The enhanced stuff is available for free, so not worth extra.

Quick question - I bought DA Awakening on steam. Do I have to redownload DA:O too? I'm guessing not as Awakening requires 20GB and Origins 15.

Also, has steam died for anyone else? I can't load it via the app or firefox.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also, has steam died for anyone else? I can't load it via the app or firefox.

The store does appear to be down, but all other parts of Steam are working for me.

Peewi on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    And here I was trying to watch the eight last popups because I always get them in a bunch two weeks after they stop being valid.

Echo on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    JA2 plus the fan patch is all you really need.

I do have a soft spot for Jagged Alliance: Deadly Games though, as it was my introduction to the series, and I loved the humor of the interaction between the mercs. And little touches like how sad Ivan sounded when Grunty got killed are apparently going to stay with me until the day I die.

That said, JA2 blows it away graphically from what I recall, and the gameplay was improved a bit as well.

Ketar on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This fan patch. Is it the one labeled version 1.13? I got the game of GOG a little while ago and I did not know some really good fan patch existed for it.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    This fan patch. Is it the one labeled version 1.13? I got the game of GOG a little while ago and I did not know some really good fan patch existed for it.
    Yeah, that's it.

You should probably going into the .ini and turn off the Drassen counter-attack and "allow reinforcements from nearby sectors"

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Work, Steam store, work!

It might make a difference, who knows...

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh hi. Would this be the right thread to ask a question about Steam sales?

Particularly, whether they repeat and how often. I came across some remarks in another thread about people snagging Civ 4 Complete for $20 and I guess I missed it. Would love to see that one come around again. What are the chances?

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that the regular version of The Witcher can be updated to be the enhanced version.
    The only difference between the two retail versions is that the Enhanced Edition comes with some physical goodies in the box that the original release didn't, but pretty much all of them have digital counterparts that are available for free on the official website along with the content updates for the game. Digitally, you can only buy Enhanced Edition.

Monger on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cool, thanks guys. I just remembered seeing the two versions and thinking I want the cheaper one. Turns out there's only one available :p

Big Classy on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    badger2d wrote: »

Particularly, whether they repeat and how often. I came across some remarks in another thread about people snagging Civ 4 Complete for $20 and I guess I missed it. Would love to see that one come around again. What are the chances?

Sales definitely can repeat. I actually got it on sale back in December.

Torchlight has seen numerous sales since its release.

But there's really no way to tell when something will be on sale again. You might be waiting until December, when it seems like almost everything gets a discount..

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's all pretty random, but come December all prices go nuts and there are insane sales and discounts all over the place.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    ...and the store went down again.

Echo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cool, thanks guys. I just remembered seeing the two versions and thinking I want the cheaper one. Turns out there's only one available :p

They deserve as much of your money as possible anyway so you should feel good about yourself. :)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Why does Civ IV and all its expansions have a separate entry for their Mac equivalents?

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    badger2dbadger2d San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    badger2d wrote: »

Sales definitely can repeat. I actually got it on sale back in December.

Torchlight has seen numerous sales since its release.

But there's really no way to tell when something will be on sale again. You might be waiting until December, when it seems like almost everything gets a discount..
    It's all pretty random, but come December all prices go nuts and there are insane sales and discounts all over the place.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to keep this thing about December in mind. Meanwhile I'll probably just not be cheap and buy Civ 4 Complete for $40 which still sounds like a good deal anyway, for the amount of game I expect to find contained therein. I used to play the hell out of Civ 4 vanilla, but the x-pacs and Colonization will be all new for me.

badger2d on
    Blizzard: Symphony #1704
    Steam: badger2d
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Civ IV might have a sale again closer to Civ V's release date this September.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
This discussion has been closed.