As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left eggs out!

useless4useless4 Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ironically while inspired by a Hoarders marathon on A&E I am cleaning my house top to bottom, and during the episode with a house full of rotten food everywhere I found we left a new carton of eggs out over night!

I know outside of america they sell eggs on the supermarket shelves with no refrigeration so I am pretty sure it's safe to stick in the fridge and use.

They were outside of a fridge about 12 hours.
It's about 72 degrees (20 celsius?) in the house.

What do you think?

useless4 on

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Eggs often sit under a chicken's warm ass for hours before they get collected on smaller farms. On production farms, the eggs are collected and cooled much quicker, so their shelf life is probably even longer. Also, I'd say the "if it floats, its gone bad" rule is probably pretty accurate.

Ruckus on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Overnight? LOL. They will be fine. As you say, outside the US they sell eggs on the shelves. You can leave an egg a week with zero ill effects. Probably more than a week. They keep well.

CelestialBadger on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seriously , have you seen the show Hoarders? It will scare the crap out of you about things like "should be fine."

useless4 on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Actually, everywhere I've been, the eggs are refrigerated in the supermarkets. I'm sure they're fine though after just one night.

Esh on
  • HotTunaHotTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    1 Night? Yeah dude, you're strait. And even if you try one and puke, I would suggest you finish the whole carton because obviously your stomach needs to step up its Iron Gut game at that point.

HotTuna on
  • RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We used to keep our eggs in a basket on the worktop and I never suffered, or found any of them rotten, so one night should be cool. That said, I do live in London, so it's probably a lot cooler here so ymmv.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Esh wrote: »
    Actually, everywhere I've been, the eggs are refrigerated in the supermarkets. I'm sure they're fine though after just one night.

You are in America. In the UK they are not refrigerated.

CelestialBadger on
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yea I've been to 37 countries and 36 of them keep the eggs out ... I am just being paranoid and I know it.

Off course in 1 of those 37 countries they keep the COWS outside hanging up in the desert sun on the main road... You get a little worried when you see them cutting your lunch special off of it.

useless4 on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Overnight? LOL. They will be fine. As you say, outside the US they sell eggs on the shelves. You can leave an egg a week with zero ill effects. Probably more than a week. They keep well.

They keep them refrigerated in Canada. But yeah, overnight on the counter is not going to make your eggs go bad, unless they were about the go bad anyways.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    fadingathedges on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    You are fine. I've personally done this and figured "what's the worst could happen", and have not yet died. This is in Canada where we refigerate eggs same as in the USA in grocery stores.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In Japan, it's about 50/50 whether a store refrigerates eggs.

Eggs are fine to leave out as much as fruit or vegetables are. They might go bad a little faster though (like 1 day or two before the exp date)

tehmarken on
  • Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Like the second link from the first response said, if you are worried drop them in some water:
    If they float they have gone bad.
    If they don't sink but don't float (just sit at whatever level they are at) they are still fine but baking with them would be preferable to say an omelet.
    If they sink they are fine.
    Also like everyone else said they are almost certainly fine.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We just leave the damn things on the carton on the bench in Australia, how the hell do you think chickens reproduce if they need to refrigerate their eggs to stop them going rotten?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    useless4 wrote: »
    Seriously , have you seen the show Hoarders? It will scare the crap out of you about things like "should be fine."

There's a difference between leaving eggs out overnight, or some old cereal in the pantry and keeping yogurt or opened cans of beans for 8 years.

Just FYI.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    We just leave the damn things on the carton on the bench in Australia, how the hell do you think chickens reproduce if they need to refrigerate their eggs to stop them going rotten?

In nature, a Rooster would bang a Hen, which would lay an egg and then incubate it as the chick developed inside. On a production farm, hens are kept in cages, and are not accessible to the Rooster. The eggs they lay are unfertilized. Store-bought eggs are, 99.99% of the time, Chicken period. Since there's no living organism inside, developing and growing into a chick, the contents just decompose over time.

Ruckus on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It also has to do with how fresh the eggs are if you refrigerate them or not.

And apparently there is a whole website about egg safety and it has a FAQ that addresses the OP.

http://www.eggsafety.org/f_a_q.htm#7.5

VisionOfClarity on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ruckus wrote: »

In nature, a Rooster would bang a Hen, which would lay an egg and then incubate it as the chick developed inside. On a production farm, hens are kept in cages, and are not accessible to the Rooster. The eggs they lay are unfertilized. Store-bought eggs are, 99.99% of the time, Chicken period. Since there's no living organism inside, developing and growing into a chick, the contents just decompose over time.

They are still alive. We're not haploidphobes here.

(I don't know how long they stay alive for though.)

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My housemate worked on her grandfathers chicken farm as a kid. She keeps eggs in the cupboard for... well, as long as it takes her to eat a dozen eggs. A few weeks at least. Pretty sure you'll be good, so long as you're not glugging them down raw.

desperaterobots on