Options

[Recommend On!]Games to play with the significant other

TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
So I recently moved in with my girlfriend and have been trying to play more games with her. She is not the biggest gamer and isn't exactly the best at most of them but she wants to play with me. Case in point she barely got past the first level in super mario world and we were only able to play for about 30 minutes until it wasn't fun for either of us.

One game she absolutely loves to play is Katamari Damacy, but other then that I haven't been too successful finding games that we can play together. Currently I have a PS2, PS3, SNES, and an Xbox 360, but currently is broken and needs to be sent to Microsoft.

So -
What are you suggestions for cooperative games that are easy to play but still fun?

Games that have been recommended:

Xbox 360
Castle Crashers
Spolosion Man
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Earth Defence Force
Rockband/Guitar Hero games
Fable 2

PS2
Rez

PS3
Little Big Planet
Trine
PixelJunk Games (Monsters, Shooter, Racer, Eden)
Puzzle Fighter

Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Mario Party
Super Monkey Ball

PC
Diablo / Hack n' Slash RPGs
World of Warcraft

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
TheKoolEagle on

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My girlfriend and I have a lot of fun with Castle Crashers and 'Splosion Man on the 360. If she likes superheroes at all Marve Ultimate Alliance is a co-op focused beat-em-up that's pretty awesome.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rez?
    Make sure the second controller has rumble

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    LittleBigPlanet. Simple, fun, and there's a bottomless well of content that you can sort through to tailor to your interests.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dokapon Journey or Kingdom.
    If you want to get divorced.

Esh on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Any of the Pixeljunk games (except maybe Racer) for the PS3. That's hours and hours of fun right there. Shooter and Monsters are probably the best, as Eden requires some mad platforming jumping skills.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Earth/Global Defence Force.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    My girlfriend and I have a lot of fun with Castle Crashers and 'Splosion Man on the 360. If she likes superheroes at all Marve Ultimate Alliance is a co-op focused beat-em-up that's pretty awesome.

I did play a little bit of castle crashers with her before, I had forgotten about that, gotta get my xbox repaired to play that again for sure, I also own ultimate alliance but have not played it with her since my 360 has been dead but good recommendations.
    LittleBigPlanet. Simple, fun, and there's a bottomless well of content that you can sort through to tailor to your interests.

Another good recommendation, I have been meaning to pick it up since I got my PS3 but haven't gotten around to it, I picked up Modnation Racers to play coop with her through career mode but that didn't pan out like I had hoped.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    kapohokapoho Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Im going to have to second Pixel junk monsters. My GF and I played the crap out of that game and she would drag me back to it occasionally. If you like tower D, its awsome!

kapoho on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Trine is pretty good, better in co-op than SP, but I'm unsure of how well it controls on the PS3

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fable 2 has decent co-op, pretty easy, if she dies she'll get back up in a couple seconds. Wrestling with the camera can be an ordeal at times though.

Sipex on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll assume couch co-op for Fable 2 is a helluva lot better than the online co-op, which was terrible.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    DrumsDrums Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll second Castle Crashers. My ex absolutely adored this game. It was just cute enough to get her interested and "beat-em-up" nostalgic enough for me to keep us both busy for weeks.

For PS3 or 360 you can also get any of the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games (a group of titles that go great with alcohol).

Also, consider investing in a Wii. Wii-Fit Plus is straight up addictive, and while its not strictly co-op a lot of fun can be had seeing who can get the highest score in the various balancing and rhythm minigames. Other notable games that are good for the Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2nd player can 'help' by shooting enemies and grabbing items), Mario Kart, and Animal Crossing. Puzzle games like Doctor Mario are usually a hit with the ladies as well; on the PS3 there's also Puzzle Fighter which is adorable and fun and full of Street Fighter win.

Drums on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rock Band 2.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seconding Earth Defense Force. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and cheesy and glitchy enough to get some unexpected humor out of it.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To add what Drums said about "consider investing in a Wii", at least a Gamecube if not a Wii. It has gotten to the point (at least in my local EBGames) that you can buy a used Gamecube from them for cheaper than the controller that would come with it were it sold by itself. So, buy two Gamecubes :P , and then find a Mario Party game. Or even one of the Super Monkey Ball games and you can take turns going through the levels. Or anything else first party, really, since anything else I could suggest is more than likely available for your PS2.

Edit: Oh, SNES as well? Do you have Final Fantasy III? I know you can do 2-player co-op battles. And of course Kirby Super Star, since you're playing together instead of taking turns in the Mario games.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You didn't say you had a pc.

Do you both have pcs?

Cos diablo style games are great to play with your so. My gf and I have some titan quest characters we are slowly getting through. We haven't played them in a while due to lack of time, but whenever we feel like playing a game together we jump on them and smash some monster heads in. :)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    World of Warcraft

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You didn't say you had a pc.

Do you both have pcs?

Cos diablo style games are great to play with your so. My gf and I have some titan quest characters we are slowly getting through. We haven't played them in a while due to lack of time, but whenever we feel like playing a game together we jump on them and smash some monster heads in. :)

well i have a pc, my gf has a laptop that i doubt could run anything newer but could run diablo, the main issue with that is she isn't a fan of the blood and guts and tone of games like it, so i left pcs kind of out because we only have mine really and the spot its in would be hard to do anything 2 player on

edit: as for WoW, she has a personal vendetta against it because her old roomates were both into wow more then they should have been and left a really bad taste in her mouth, overall she isnt a big fan of mmos so leaning away from those

edit: As for the Wii, I am planning on picking up another again, before we were dating and I had a Wii with just about every party game you could think of, but I was stupid and sold it for super cheap with all my stuff to buy a ps3, which I never did and ended up blowing the wad on booze.... not the best choice.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My gf likes cute things for the most part.

Diablo isn't super about the blood and guts and more about the atmosphere which is very gothic.

Neither is titan quest, smacking enemies isn't the same as cutting them to pieces.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Burn Zombie Burn was a pretty big hit with my fiance.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lego _____

wonderpug on
  • Options
    KarmelietKarmeliet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My gf despises video games in general, but I managed to catch her interest with Trauma Centre on Wii. (the one with co-op... Second Opinion?)

Karmeliet on
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Karmeliet wrote: »
    My gf despises video games in general, but I managed to catch her interest with Trauma Centre on Wii. (the one with co-op... Second Opinion?)

New Blood

Sipex on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    No idea why EDF works so well with SOs but it really does! In my place it's know as 'the ant game'.

Rock Band cannot be posted enough here, but I think everyone gets that by now.

Try to teach her SSFIV, then let me know how you get on D:

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Games my SWMBO has enjoyed.

Boom Blox
    Rayman Raving Rabbids
    Mario Kart
    I also enjoy watching her use EAactive...

She hasn't been too keen on any PS3 titles, except for Cuboid.

We do better with boardgames (carcasonne, etc)

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Games my wife and I have enjoyed together over the years. She also started out as a non-gamer and is still on the casual side.

PC
    Dungeon Siege 1 and 2
    Titan Quest
    Neverwinter Nights 1
    World of Warcraft

Xbox 360
    Lego Star Wars, Indian Jones, Batman and soon Harry Potter (these are awesome platform/puzzle games for the casual)
    Carcasonne
    Peggle
    Lost Cities

PS3
    Little Big Planet

Games my wife played solo
    Peggle
    Carcassone
    Puzzle Quest
    Plants vs Zombies (she's still very addicted to this)

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png