As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Amazon.com Gaming Magazines (OXM, OPM, PCG, NP) 1-yr sub. $5 usd! (Canada too!)

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
Saw this at Red Flag Deals, there's a thread about it at GAF too.

Cheapest prices I've seen yet. US folks should have no problem ordering.

CANADIAN ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS HERE:

Canadians can also order but it gets abit convulted ... you have to initially ship to a US address then manually change your shipping address to your Canadian one once the order is confirmed.

edit: here's how it worked for me - Order mags entering US address (any address it doesn't matter although if you have a friend use theirs) as shipping address and your regular Canadian address for billing info. It will take about 24 hours for the order to confirm on Amazon. Once order is confirmed change your shipping address from the US addy to your Canadian one.

I have NO idea why Amazon doesn't allow you to enter a Canadian address for shipping when initially ordering but lets you CHANGE your US address to a Canadian one AFTER ordering. But thankfully it WORKKKKKSSSS

Amazon.com Gaming Magazines (Playstation/Nintendo/Xbox/PC) 1-yr sub. $5 usd!

Offer expires June 5th 2010

first time ive seen the xbox magazine(with dvd) for $5 :)

Here are the links to the 2 older threads about US to Canadian address changing.

How to get free US magazine subscriptions - in Canada!
$5 1 year magazine subscriptions @ amazon.com

thx goes to tmleafs26 for mentioning that you could probably do the address change within your own account on amazon..

if for some reason you arent able to after your subscription has become active please use the links below.

- Magazine Address Change Links -

Official Xbox Magazine

Nintendo Power

PC Gamer

Playstation The Official Magazine

Bamelin on

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know everyone on these boards rags on videogame magazines, but this is an awesome deal.

$15 got me 3 mag subscriptions for an entire year.

I kind of sound like a shill.

Ah, fuck it.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Meh. If GI was in that deal I would be interested.

Dragkonias on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Shit man, $5 is pretty much impossible to pass up. If I were to pick up even one issue over the next year, this thing pays for itself.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I got 12 month subs for all 4. For the cost of 2 individual mags (they are about 8 bucks each up here in canuck land)

Bamelin on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Are game magazines still relevant? I seems to get by fine with the internet.

Fizban140 on
  • Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If the deal was $15 for a one year subscription to EDGE, then we'd be talking.

Otherwise, eh.

Mei Hikari on
  • VeeVee Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well shit it's just 5 bucks, I ended up getting the OXM subscription. Thanks for posting this deal.

Vee on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Is PC Gamer worth reading at all? I've never read it before, but it's the only one offered that really interests me.

Vi Monks on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wha? Hmmm. Stooth, that's a fine deal. But it looks to me like Future Media is trying to justify keeping it's 4 exclusive mags alive.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Are game magazines still relevant? I seems to get by fine with the internet.

They're still something to read while you're...indisposed.

Dragkonias on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Is PC Gamer worth reading at all? I've never read it before, but it's the only one offered that really interests me.

Only the UK edition, not the US.
    Writing standard varies dramatically between the two.

Xagarath on
    edited June 2010
    I haven't bought any for years now because a single mag at the newstand in Canada is almost 10 bucks (maybe even more).

With this deal I get 12 issues for 5 bucks ... can't lose

Bamelin on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bamelin, once again you save me money. I owe you a brew when next I'm in TO.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow. Thanks for posting this!

SirUltimos on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I gotta admit, that's pretty tantalizing. PC Gamer was pretty much my first exposure to the United States, courtesy of my father, and I grew up adoring it. It's just a shell of its former self, but still....

I also enjoyed OXM when I had it, but that was prior to XBL making demos downloadable.

Synthesis on
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow that's a deal. I haven't read PC Gamer since, like, the issue with a Morrowind review I think. It'll all probably be news I've read long since on the Internet, but for five bucks I may as well have something to read on the toilet.

Darlan on
    edited June 2010
    I enjoy OPM and NP.

OXM blows and PC Gamer I can't speak to as I haven't really picked up an issue in years.

All 4 though are still worth 5 bucks each for a whole year. Hell I don't even HAVE a Wii or gaming PC and I still bought all 4 mags ... I enjoy some of the articles and pics ... As part of the older generation that grew up with NES/Sega, etc, gaming mags were a part of my youth and I still enjoy them.

Most current info of course I get from the internet as does everyone else but I still enjoy geeking out from time to time with a mag. Great for on planes too.

Threepio wrote:
    Bamelin, once again you save me money. I owe you a brew when next I'm in TO.

No problem man, it was too good a deal not to post.

Bamelin on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    OXM isn't good anymore? That sucks.

Though I own a PS3, I honestly don't play it enough...or care enough about PSN...to actually buy OPM. I'm only getting magazine to make up for what I couldn't read online (and the fact that I actually dislike reading things on a computer screen when a paper alternative exists).

Might just go with PC Gamer then.

Synthesis on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bamelin wrote: »

Canadians can also order but it gets abit convulted ... you have to initially ship to a US address then manually change your shipping address to your Canadian one once the order is confirmed.

edit: here's how it worked for me - Order mags entering US address (any address it doesn't matter although if you have a friend use theirs) as shipping address and your regular Canadian address for billing info. It will take about 24 hours for the order to confirm on Amazon. Once order is confirmed change your shipping address from the US addy to your Canadian one.

I have NO idea why Amazon doesn't allow you to enter a Canadian address for shipping when initially ordering but lets you CHANGE your US address to a Canadian one AFTER ordering. But thankfully it WORKKKKKSSSS

Here are the links to the 2 older threads about US to Canadian address changing.

thx goes to tmleafs26 for mentioning that you could probably do the address change within your own account on amazon..

if for some reason you arent able to after your subscription has become active please use the links below.

Official Xbox Magazine

Nintendo Power

PC Gamer

Oh, thank God for this, because that pissed me off SO much...

And thank you as well for bringing it to my attention.

My only concern is that I'm re-subscribing... hopefully, that will get sorted out when I make the changes.

Almost immediately, I got the "Your Order with Amazon.com" e-mail. Is that the confirmation I need?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited June 2010

Official Xbox Magazine

Nintendo Power

PC Gamer

Oh, thank God for this, because that pissed me off SO much...

And thank you as well for bringing it to my attention.

My only concern is that I'm re-subscribing... hopefully, that will get sorted out when I make the changes.

Almost immediately, I got the "Your Order with Amazon.com" e-mail. Is that the confirmation I need?

When you log into your amazon account check your magazine subscriptions under account settings. It will be pending for 12 - 24 hours then switch over to active or something like that.

Bamelin on
  • SigtyrSigtyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, just put in an american address, wait 24 hours then change it?

Sigtyr on
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is a great deal.

I got nintendo power and playstation magazine not to long ago for a 2 year subscription for $20 each.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
    edited June 2010
    When you log into your amazon account check your magazine subscriptions under account settings. It will be pending for 12 - 24 hours then switch over to active or something like that.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited June 2010
    Sigtyr wrote: »
    So, just put in an american address, wait 24 hours then change it?

That's what I did.

Put in American shipping address (it won't accept a Canadian one when initially ordering) and your Canadian CC billing info.

24 hours later log into Amazon and under Manage subscriptions you can change the shipping info to your Canadian address. Be aware though this is likely a big loophole that Amazon isn't aware exists considering you can't enter a Canadian addy when initially ordering (ie YMMV). Also you might miss your first issue as it takes 8 weeks for an address change to process (I think). Still worth it if you're Canadian though.

You can also change your address right on each magazine's individual publisher's website if you prefer and this is supposed to be the "Safer" way to do it (I was lazy so I did it through Amazon).

Bamelin on
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What's the quality of Nintendo Power's mag these days? I used to subscribe when I was a kid, I still remember their very first issues. They had strategy bits and overall were pretty handy - I still have their Final Fantasy NES guide around here somewhere.

I just got myself a Wii, so...

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Only the UK edition, not the US.
    Writing standard varies dramatically between the two.

They've supposedly actually started importing a fair amount of the non-editorial content from the UK version. Worth it for $5 at least.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I ordered all 4. 48 issues for the price of 3-to-4 isn't a bad deal. Gives me something to read that doesn't rely on a battery on long car trips when I'm not driving.

Invisible on
    edited June 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    What's the quality of Nintendo Power's mag these days? I used to subscribe when I was a kid, I still remember their very first issues. They had strategy bits and overall were pretty handy - I still have their Final Fantasy NES guide around here somewhere.

It's good, I quite like it. Only mag I subscribe to, in fact.

It definitely hit a downward spiral for a while, but it managed to rebound and has been good ever since.

Anyway, Bamelin: I went with the 1-year extension, any idea if changing that stuff will add it to the end of my subscription that I already have?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah now that I think about time, PC Gamer hasn't been good for almost a decade. Used to be really thick monthly mags with tons of info and lengthy reviews with awesome demo discs. Then it suddenly kept shrinking and getting thinner with useless info.

The last time I looked at one of these mags at Barnes and Noble they just had so little to actually read. I mean even the ads weren't intersting. But for this price its worth it since one issue at the store is like $8.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh sweet, it looks like if you go into your magazine subscriptions, you can choose to renew the magazine at the current rate too, so get 2 years for $10, 3 for $15, etcetera.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited June 2010
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

It's good, I quite like it. Only mag I subscribe to, in fact.

It definitely hit a downward spiral for a while, but it managed to rebound and has been good ever since.

Anyway, Bamelin: I went with the 1-year extension, any idea if changing that stuff will add it to the end of my subscription that I already have?

I think when you change your address through Amazon, they send an auto message to the publisher notifying them of change of address. (I got emails from publishers confirming they had received request from Amazon) ---- oh wait I'm talking about Canadian address stuff

No guarantees though.

One other thing ... if you are Canadian and thinking of ordering more than a 1 year subscription (adding on an extra year or whatever) make sure you do so BEFORE you change your US address to a Canadian one

Bamelin on
    edited June 2010
    Well, I did get an e-mail from Future...

Hopefully they put 2 and 2 together with my name/address.

LBD_Nytetrayn on