The [Chat] Doctors

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    LaOs wrote: »
    Daxon wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    A standard drink is not a measure of percentage, it's a measure of amount.

A standard drink is approximately one beer, shot, or glass of wine.

Now that's blatantly misleading because those three things contain different amounts of alcohol...

I think the idea is that one shot of liquor (around 1 oz) is supposed to be equal to approximately 1 beer (12oz) which is supposed to be equal to one glass of wine (I forget if the standard glass is 4 or 6oz). The idea is supposed to already take into account the different alcoholic percentages with the differing volumes.

But they really aren't, well I'm guessing they aren't at the volumes you quoted cause I have no idea how non-metric measuring works for anything.

An ounce is around 30ml usually. Convert that way. Mr.Mister is not wrong.

LaOs on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    "Standard drinks" sound vastly more useless than units of alcohol. I had not thought this possible.

I found it quite silly when the ex was talking about them and whatnot... it didn't seem like a useful measure for purchasing and whatnot, but that's what they apparently used back in NZ.

Like, I guess if you set prices according to standard drinks, and could just get more beers for the same price as a shot of whisky, but that seems strange.

In NZ 'Standard Drink' means"

"The Standard Drinks measure is a simple way to work out how much alcohol you are drinking. It measures the amount of pure alcohol in a drink. One standard drink equals 10 grams of pure alcohol."

This means that a 330ml can of standard 4% alcohol beer is roughly one standard drink. I really cannot stand the 440-500ml cans they have in Europe, it just seems too much for me

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Someone should play some Last Stand DoW2 with me!

Right now!

I don't know what Last Stand is.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Units of alcohol would be quite useful if people hadn't started spreading the idea that a unit of alcohol takes an hour to metabolise.

I think if they'd make a unit equal to a pint it would have helped.

Beer being 1.7 to 2.5 units is a pain.

I think, once upon a time before the popularity of continental lagers, it was a reasonable rule of thumb that a pint was two units.

japan on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Depends if you spend more time at bars drinking 20 oz. pints or at parties drinking 12 oz. cans.

In any case, the point of "standard drinks" is just that a shot of liquor, a can of beer, and a glass or wine all have roughly the same amount of alcohol, and you can use that fact to keep track of how much you've had when you're mixing them. Of course it isn't an exact equivalence, because beers and wines vary widely in alcohol content, but it isn't supposed to be. It's supposed to be a back of the envelope measure that a drunk person would be capable of keeping track of.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Kalkino wrote: »

This means that a 330ml can of standard 4% alcohol beer is roughly one standard drink. I really cannot stand the 440-500ml cans they have in Europe, it just seems too much for me

We had a load of 330ml cans of San Miguel in one of my student houses. Those were weird. Coke cans full of beer!

They were also made of cast iron or something equally stupidly heavy, do they always felt half full.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

Right now!

Last stand is a mode in dawn of war 2 where you and two other friends each get a hero unit and hold off waves after waves of enemies, progressively leveling up and unlocking new abilities and wargear.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Once I decided to buy a 4-pack of 500ml cans of 9% carlsberg. It was both disgusting and got me ridiculously shitfaced in a terrible and ill way.

Night was not fun.

I drank it all fyi.

Daxon on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Right now!

Like the Alamo, or a libertarian posting on our board.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Right now!

Last stand is a mode in dawn of war 2 where you and two other friends each get a hero unit and hold off waves after waves of enemies, progressively leveling up and unlocking new abilities and wargear.

Oh.

I have Dawn of War 2 but I never play it and I don't feel like it!

:D

Sarksus on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Oh just to clarify when I'm talking about one beer or one cider i'm talking about half a litre which is the standard size for cans and glasses in bars

also "standard drink" is a hilarious measurement

let's use ABV, shall we?

A pint (half litre) is not the "standard size" though--at least not in NA. The 12oz bottle or can is. (Around 360ml)

http://ritmosupply.com/images/firma/carlsberg%2033cl.jpg

the equivalent size is this, 33cl which a standard bottle or small can is

http://www.pollux7.com/osc/images/R_Carlsberg%203_5%2050%20cl%206-pack.gif

this, 50cl is the more prevalent size here, plus, it's the size you'll get in bars

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Coke cans full of beer!

this is exactly how I feel about those small cans

Tav on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh.

I have Dawn of War 2 but I never play it and I don't feel like it!

:D

You're the worst mister!

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Depends if you spend more time at bars drinking 20 oz. pints or at parties drinking 12 oz. cans.

In any case, the point of "standard drinks" is just that a shot of liquor, a can of beer, and a glass or wine all have roughly the same amount of alcohol, and you can use that fact to keep track of how much you've had when you're mixing them. Of course it isn't an exact equivalence, because beers and wines vary widely in alcohol content, but it isn't supposed to be. It's supposed to be a back of the envelope measure that a drunk person would be capable of keeping track of.

This is exactly how Stella got the name "wife beater".

One and a half times stronger that anything comparable.

japan on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hello, ladies.

How's your penis?

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dawn of War 2 would be weird to play after playing Starcraft. Everyone is so nice in Starcraft, everyone is an asshole in Warhammer 40k.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've been asked to speak a round table discussion on Domestic Violence being held by a local college. There is part of me that feels duty bound to go, and there is part of me that feels like I'm going to be walking into a situation in which I'm about to become a punching bag.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dawn of War 2 would be weird to play after playing Starcraft. Everyone is so nice in Starcraft, everyone is an asshole in Warhammer 40k.

I....what?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Even the Eldar are like FUCK YOU WE'RE BROODING.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    I've been asked to speak a round table discussion on Domestic Violence being held by a local college. There is part of me that feels duty bound to go, and there is part of me that feels like I'm going to be walking into a situation in which I'm about to become a punching bag.

Why were you invited/why would you be the punching bag?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I have Dawn of War II on my Steam account

But it's not installed, I've never installed it, and never played it

I'm only vaguely aware of what kind of game it is!

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    American pints tend to be smaller that British pints as well.

About 4 oz, usually. American Pints are usually 16oz and English pints at 20oz, but I find a "pint" can be anywhere from 14oz (small!!) to 20oz depending where you go.

It's usually just used to indicate you want draught beer , larger than a glass/mug, but not so big as a schooner.

LaOs on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

It would seem, as a person who has been involved in a domestic violence situation, that you should listen to the side of you that is concerned about becoming a punching bag.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Even the Eldar are like FUCK YOU WE'RE BROODING.

That's why you cleanse them with the holy bolter, Sarksus.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I....what?

I think he means story wise? I can't imagine he means player base.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    Coke cans full of beer!

this is exactly how I feel about those small cans

I know!

me and a friend reserve them for when we're going to sit on our asses and drink beer and be very male all day

they just disappear

EDIT: you only need one measurement for how much you've had to drink and that is being able to recall what you've had or not

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I guess I like what I'm familiar with. Plus, I seem to get drunker in the UK, which I blame on pints and 440s. I've realisd that I drink roughly the same amount of drinks in any given session, so that could be either 4 330s or 3 440s or pints. So sticking to 330s helps me moderate consumption

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Because it's what he does.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    A standard drink is not a measure of percentage, it's a measure of amount.

A standard drink is approximately one beer, shot, or glass of wine.

yeah, no

a shot of micky finn is 12%
    a shot of capn morgan is 35%

one is a lot stronger than the other :P

So a Standard Drink of Micky Finn would likely be larger than a Standard Drink of Cap'n Morgan.

It's meant to standardize measurement of intake, I think. So, you could have a number of Micky Finn's before you'd have ingested as much alcohol as in a shot or two of Cap'n Morgan.

So by "standard drink" we're not referring to these in the quantities that they're sold?

The whole point is that Morgan's is three times stronger than Mickey Finn, but they both come in a 35ml shot glass.

Right, it's a dumb system. They wouldn't both be a Standard Drink, but they'd both be a shot of that alcohol. It's dumb and not always useful, the Standard Drink.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I....what?

The Starcraft universe is much less dark than the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Even the zerg aren't as terrifying as tyranids and they're even humanized by Kerrigan's existence. The Warhammer 40,000 universe is 100% bleak and there's nothing good about it, you would not want to live there at all, whereas the Starcraft universe is more bearable.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

I was invited because I'm a male domestic violence survivor. And I suspect I'd be the punching bag because my experience trying to navigate the system wasn't exactly welcoming. Generally reactions ranged from disbelief that it happens at all, to the assumption that I was nothing more then a batterer attempting to gain access to the shelters.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

Troof.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    American pints tend to be smaller that British pints as well.

About 4 oz, usually. American Pints are usually 16oz and English pints at 20oz, but I find a "pint" can be anywhere from 14oz (small!!) to 20oz depending where you go.

It's usually just used to indicate you want draught beer , larger than a glass/mug, but not so big as a schooner.

The size of a pint is rigidly controlled in the UK.

The exact quantity of head that is permissible and when a patron is entitled to request that the barman top it up have been the subjects of intense legal debate.

japan on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So a Standard Drink of Micky Finn would likely be larger than a Standard Drink of Cap'n Morgan.

It's meant to standardize measurement of intake, I think. So, you could have a number of Micky Finn's before you'd have ingested as much alcohol as in a shot or two of Cap'n Morgan.
    So by "standard drink" we're not referring to these in the quantities that they're sold?

The whole point is that Morgan's is three times stronger than Mickey Finn, but they both come in a 35ml shot glass.
    Right, it's a dumb system. They wouldn't both be a Standard Drink, but they'd both be a shot of that alcohol. It's dumb and not always useful, the Standard Drink.
    You can also buy shots of beer. A "shot" refers to a shot of hard liquor, ~35%.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The Starcraft universe is much less dark than the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Even the zerg aren't as terrifying as tyranids and they're even humanized by Kerrigan's existence. The Warhammer 40,000 universe is 100% bleak and there's nothing good about it, you would not want to live there at all, whereas the Starcraft universe is more bearable.

It's less bleak but calling people nice in Starcraft is a stretch I think. I mean, pretty much everyone wants to kill everyone else. People only work together out of raw desperation in the face of deadly odds.

You wouldn't want to live in the Starcraft universe at all. 40k's not 100% bleak either, it's scope it just so huge that the few bright points are just very, very hard to see.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    I don't think that ruling is going to change much.

It looks like it's basically "We will interrogate you if you do not invoke that right."

Which is kinda how it always happens.

Again its the start down a path I don't like.

And I really understand that. And I can see how this can be abused, but I don't really think this does anything other than specify how things are already done, procedure wise.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited June 2010

I was invited because I'm a male domestic violence survivor. And I suspect I'd be the punching bag because my experience trying to navigate the system wasn't exactly welcoming. Generally reactions ranged from disbelief that it happens at all, to the assumption that I was nothing more then a batterer attempting to gain access to the shelters.

Well you are the male of the species thom you deserve that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shots of liqueur are terrible and you shouldn't be taking them anyway.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    mr mr should spend less time talking about alcohol units and more time going on hot dates with me

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    my friend went through 24 cans of Stoya in a night

he didn't have a hangover the next day

it was impressive

Tav on
This discussion has been closed.