As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TENNIS] is a game about smacking balls

1232425262729»

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Also apparently current Australia policy on deportations is there’s a 3-year hold on further attempts to enter the country afterwards

It would surprise me if they didn’t make an exception for a very famous tennis player but I would die laughing if Djokovic was not able to participate for the next 3 AOs and aged himself out of another title

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    moppu0v59jnk.jpg

• Options
    Djokovic pictured maskless at public event one day after positive Covid test
    Novak Djokovic faced fresh controversy over his attempt to enter Australia to take part in the Open tennis tournament after pictures emerged on social media of his appearances at public events after a positive Covid test was recorded in mid-December

Seriously, sod off Novak.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Aaaannd the judge ruled that Djokovic is allowed in.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Aaaannd the judge ruled that Djokovic is allowed in.
    Soo, how much booing is there usually at tennis matches? Because I think the average is about to go up.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Also apparently current Australia policy on deportations is there’s a 3-year hold on further attempts to enter the country afterwards

It would surprise me if they didn’t make an exception for a very famous tennis player but I would die laughing if Djokovic was not able to participate for the next 3 AOs and aged himself out of another title

Our PM based his image on being tough on borders. This is the guy who ‘beat’ asylum seeker arrivals by making it illegal to report on them, and gave himself a trophy of a run down boat with the plaque ‘I stopped these’ and proudly displays it in his office.

Novak just embarrassed him on the global scale, about his key brand.

Also like 90% of polled Australians don’t want him here.

I’ll give good odds that Novak gets deported by the Immigration minister because Scotty needs some political points right now with the federal election in a couple of months.

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

Our PM based his image on being tough on borders. This is the guy who ‘beat’ asylum seeker arrivals by making it illegal to report on them, and gave himself a trophy of a run down boat with the plaque ‘I stopped these’ and proudly displays it in his office.

I’ll give good odds that Novak gets deported by the Immigration minister because Scotty needs some political points right now with the federal election in a couple of months.

Does it matter that Djokovic is rich and not a refugee? It seems like being “tough on borders” means a very specific thing, usually about targeting specific groups of people. I’m genuinely asking, as I’m not a tennis person or an Australian.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    ouchies wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

Does it matter that Djokovic is rich and not a refugee? It seems like being “tough on borders” means a very specific thing, usually about targeting specific groups of people. I’m genuinely asking, as I’m not a tennis person or an Australian.

Actually it's worse for him that he's a rich. Not a refugee is balanced out by not being an Australian citizen - Scotty has been pretty adamant all pandemic, unvaccinated non-citizens do not enter the country. Scottys brand is pretty solidly Australian first. His campaign was mostly about being tough on border control, asylum seekers were just the first target because they were dominating headlines.

If he leaves it be, it tells his base who have been suffering under long lockdowns, separated from their families over state borders, and Australian citizens in other countries trying to get home, that a rich non-citizen was more important.

This is easy to spin as Scotty cares more about rich people than Australians. And again, we have a federal election in like 2 months.

There's going to be long discussions all night, and I'd put my money on Scotty asking the immigration minister for a favour.

edit - it's kinda hard to type this up without sounding mega racist, because the LNP is all about that.

Edit edit - yeah, Scotty said they’re still thinking about cancelling his visa anyway.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    reading past the headline the ruling is actually just because of a formal mistake by the authorities. his entry was denied 48 minutes earlier than the deadline for him to present applicable information.

edit: new twist. He lied about travelling within 14 days before entering Australia. Also Serbia's president is getting involved...

honovere on
  • Options
    And he's out!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    And he's out!

A douche so nice they're deporting him twice.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I know the proper thing to do for the Australian government to do would have been to never issue Djokovic a visa in the first place because he makes no bones about being anti-vax but I would be lying if I said there wasn’t a part of me that has enjoyed seeing this anti-science, I’m-above-the-rules asshole getting jerked around before ultimately getting deported.

Go get vaccinated, douche, and stop infecting other people.

• Options
    Djokovic lost his appeal and has left Australia

Looking forward to a Djoker-free slam!

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Djokovic lost his appeal and has left Australia

Looking forward to a Djoker-free slam!

As is the rest of the men's draw.

He's seeming a moronic dickhead off the court, but he certainly hasn't won all the shit he has by not having a fantastic overall game or being in a weak field the last 15 years.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Yeah he's an amazing tennis player, just a pretty crappy person. I've been trying to like him since he started on the tour -- he was somewhat likeable at the start, but then got really whiny. Then he got really good, and outed himself as being a terrible person (before the vaccine stuff even).

Also, go France! If the French Open were to take place today, Djokovic would also be barred entry due to a new law. It could change by May when the tournament takes place if conditions improve, but hey good for them.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Djokovic has always been a bad sport even before his plague rat tendencies came to light

Smashing rackets, swearing and screaming on the court, he’s just shitty and yeah he can Hit Ball Good but he’s not fun to watch like the Nadal/Federer frenemy rivalry

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Djokovic has always been a bad sport even before his plague rat tendencies came to light

Smashing rackets, swearing and screaming on the court, he’s just shitty and yeah he can Hit Ball Good but he’s not fun to watch like the Nadal/Federer frenemy rivalry

All of which don't even get to how much he loves hanging out with war criminals and endorsing liquor named after Nazi sympathizers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »

All of which don't even get to how much he loves hanging out with war criminals and endorsing liquor named after Nazi sympathizers.

Yikes, didn't know any of that, I'm definitely in the full "fuck him and the horse he rode in on" camp now.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Naomi Osaka had been bounced in tbe 3rd round by Amanda Anisimova in 3 sets with the 3rd set going to tiebreak

One of the better women's matches I've watched in a couple of years. Don't know if Anisimova has the tools to take down Barty in the next round, she had some issues returning Osaka's serve in small stretches and Barty could wind up having an Ace party.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Well that couldn't be much more poetic after the Djokovic saga. Nadal becomes the first man to hit 21!

Big shout out to Barty too, first Aussie to win at home in 44 years!

Jazz on
  • Options
    For Nadal to be out there playing like that after all his injuries (he was on crutches very recently) and after COVID...

In my mind, he's the GOAT.

• Options
    For Nadal to be out there playing like that after all his injuries (he was on crutches very recently) and after COVID...

In my mind, he's the GOAT.

Yeah, storming back from 2 sets down to get 21. Guy's a beast and I don't know what kind of biologics or physical therapy he gets, but his ability to still be a bad ass motherfucker after having his knees scoped and scraped as much as he has is unbelievable.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Nadal loves long, athletic matches. His opponents want to beat him ASAP because if you get into a long, drawn-out endurance match he's going to wear you down into the ground and kick your ass.

Which just makes all his injury comebacks even more impressive. He's not out there doing servebot games where it's ace after ace, he's out there running back and forth for 5 and a half hours, the second longest final of all time. What a fucking beast.