As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Going back to college

BushiBushi Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm finally trying to go back to college. I went to college in back in 2002 for a semester, but it didn't work out. I live on my own, and work two jobs to cover my bills. Does anyone have any advice, or know of any programs that could be of use?

Bushi on

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Well, I've done more or less the same thing. Dropped out once, started working full time, went back a few years later and am still attending.

I would look into local community colleges first. It's cheaper and I have found that when taking evening classes at them the teachers are understanding that you're mostly adults with jobs, etc. and try to keep homework in line with that.

You may want to see if they have any shorter programs that could lead to your end degree that you want, too. Like right now I am going through a networking certificate program and then a programming certificate program. After completing those two I will be very close to an associates degree. It doesn't take any less time, but it breaks it up into smaller goals which are much closer to being met from the time you start.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Many colleges now have continuing education programs for working adults, it's like community college night school but from more reputable institutions. What makes these programs great is that they're the perfect back door for guys like us who dropped out! I got into school by taking a couple continuing education classes for credit, getting good grades, and having a professor who is very respected at the school write me a letter of recommendation.

What Jimmy King said about community college is also a good idea. When I was working before, I took a lot of random courses along the way, having those in my background also helped.

supabeast on