As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Annoying Windows pop-up

ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I keep getting a very annoying pop-up on my computer. It's a window that opens and says 'please wait as windows configures unload' or something along those lines. I have to cancel about ten times before it goes away and reopens a few minutes later. From what I've googled, it probably isn't a virus (I hear it's a corrupted windows update file or something) but I really need to know how to fix this.

Zeguna on

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does this persist through reboots?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    My office's tech support team upstairs says: "when in doubt: format."
    I hate my tech support team.

Enc on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It sounds an awful lot like malware.

Download Spybot S&D and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, scan with both in safe mode.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If it is a corrupted Windows update, you should be able to go to the Control Panel and have it check for a Windows Update (there was a security one recently, I think).

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Can you post a screencap of the pop-up?

Nostregar on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Couple things about pop-ups:

If you want to dismiss the popup without clicking on anything in the pop-up window (including the "X"), while the pop-up is in focus hit "Ctrl+F4" and it'll kill the window.

Hitman Pro is awesome, it finds shit even Malwarebytes cannot (specifically it killed Alureon which Malwarebytes couldn't seem to do). Downside: 30 day trial and you need and active internet connection to run it.

Edit: I meant "Alt+F4" not "Ctrl+F4"

Djeet on