As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Last minute flight booking

DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm working in India, scheduled to return to australia at the end of June. I want to take my last week off to visit a friend in England (because flying to england from India is cheaper than flying from Australia). I tried to get the time off but my departure coincides with an important deadline so my boss told me "only if the work gets done on time".

So this throws a spanner in the works.

If I do get the last week off, I will probably only know a week or less beforehand. Currently return flights from india to england cost about 800 AUD.

So my question for HA pretty simple:
How much is the price likely to go up if I'm booking a flight anywhere between 2 and 7 days before the departure date? Is there some sort of 'last minute cheap flights' or is that fictional?

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
DodgeBlan on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    About two weeks before is when prices jump... and it can be by quite a lot.

Not sure about the last minute flight thing.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It'll go up exponentially until about 3 days before. Then there might be some sort of weekend sale where they try to fill the last few seats and the price will drop. Check the airline websites every single day once you know if you can go. If you're lucky your destination will be one of the ones on sale.

There are also various cheap flight finder websites, but I don't know any that specifically cover India and England. The ones I know are North American based, but I'm sure there are equivalent ones out there.

Asiina on
  • Options
    tutankhamuntutankhamun Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Which company are you planning to fly with? It really depends on the company. Some will have amazing deals on last minute flights, while others will easily double the price due to the "urgency" :D

tutankhamun on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kayak.com is a great site for all things flight-related

searching from 6 days from today from (I used Delhi) and to (generic London)

and returning 6 days after that to India

I got a lowest price of 585 for the round trip, which is decent as hell for a week's notice

I'm not sure if you can actually buy really cheap seats by showing up day-of and hoping for a seat to be vacant, and even if you can, that's going to be a total crapshoot

Raneados on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah thanks for that Raneados. Somehow I did not think to check the cost of a couple of days from now.

You have warmed my no time off getting heart.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    you're welcome?

Raneados on